Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the thing is that those examples you give may be exaggerated in the 24/7 news cycle, but there is a story there for each of those items. Would Trump and Romney be able to work together after the contentious campaign? Is the recount effort bearing any fruit? Did Trump's conversation with the Taiwanese president create conflict with China? Asking and answering those questions is not fake news, that's journalism.

The line is not that clear. Take the Taiwan phone call. Its been almost universally reported as "Trump's call," suggesting that he initiated it and is now responsible for some kind of fallout, when in fact we know that it was initiated from Taiwan. Yesterday I heard a reporter on the radio say -- without mentioning any factual support -- that it may have been initiated from Taiwan, but it was something that "had definitely been set up beforehand." Fake news or journalism? Personally, I don't think the call was set up, but if this reporter chooses to speculate I also don't think there should be a sword hanging over his head for doing so. Its in our interest to allow that, so that we are clear that every source should be questioned. Its ultimately up to us to check the facts and choose what to believe.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 12-06-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Easy. Check the facts.

Go to "AP" stories directly, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOXNEWS directly....not through links. If the story isn't there, it's probably not true. If it IS there, read the facts. Also check snopes.com and politifact.com. They keep track of the fake stories. (The fake story spreaders always say...THOSE are the sources that are fake...not MY post or email or breitbart.com; because they know they have been caught intentionally spreading fake stories.)
So you are trusting a few media companies specifically to tell you the truth, and then believe everything they say because you believe they are telling the truth at all times?

The media is ALLOWED TO LIE. The media uses government-sponsored propaganda. Those are BOTH true statements. Do some research. Understand how the "media" is permitted, legally, to operate.

What makes something true is NOT what station it is on. What makes it true is if it is TRUE. That means YOU need to do research to find primary originating sources. But that's work.

A great example of this in action is the bare bones minimal lying distorted coverage of the protesters at the DAPL pipeline. The news "coverage" was atrocious. And beyond false. There were so many protestors there videotaping EVERYTHING. A 20-minute check of the FB pages of the Native American organizations showed so much corroborating evidence it was mind boggling. I mean, I checked a story yesterday on USA Today that claimed there was about 2,000 to 3,000 people there, and showed a sparsely populated camp on a clear bright sunny day. Except the camp has 10,000 there, tents, Rvs, etc., and it has been snowing for DAYS. So the "real news organization" used photos that were very old, passed them off as recent and outright lied about how many protestors were there.

Be skeptical of ALL news organizations. Every. single. one.

P.S. Snopes is a mom and pop website run by people who are neither journalists, reporters, or researchers. But they've made a great living convincing people that they are and people quote the website like it's the Bible. But snopes said it so it's true. really, I read it there, so that makes it true. Just like the Bible told me so.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Just curious -- is there anyone on this Forum who has had trouble telling the difference, or who feels that fake news has influenced them?

Crickets.
At least nobody here needs the Brain Police.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 12-06-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Meh.. Iv'e seen more fake news on CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC this last year to last a lifetime.
Bingo!!!

Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Bingo!!!
Since you agree, could you please post some examples?

Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
This morning, as I was doing my daily commute in one of the most populous and progressive coastal cities, I realized that the AM radio station I had been listening to devoted only about a minute out of every hour to world news, and that was basically just reading headlines. The rest was massive coverage and editorializing of the Oakland warehouse fire, sports, stocks, traffic, weather, and of course advertising. So I started turning the dial listening for anything that would have actual news coverage. I found 5 other stations talking sports, a couple religious stations, foreign language, Bloomberg money channel, and another "news" channel with the same bad pattern as the other one.

Considering that I have been spending 2 hours out of my day listening to a "news" source and still have to go online to stay abreast of actual current events, it's not hard to imagine that most people are substantially in the dark, even if they think they are listening to the news regularly.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Absolutely. It wouldn't surprise me if the alarms about fake news has been promoted by those same mass media outlets to undermine independent news sources. Their propaganda fell flat during the election, and it might help their credibility next time around to suggest that all other media outlets are untrustworthy.
Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post

You have to be kidding me...
Well, no, the Lamestream Media is Big Business and they would like to crush all independent news outlets.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
I think if MSN and Breitbart are reporting on the same story, in a similar manner, then the chances of it being fake news is virtually nil. But I don't think this happens very often.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Planet Money...there's an unbiased source for sure! (lol)

If you want a good, one-stop-shopping fix on what used to be called, in the bad old USSR, "the Party line", you could do much worse than to listen to Planet Money.

This whole fake "Fake news" thing is hilarious. There were literally 6 different stories on this supposed phenomenon running in New York e-mag within 24 hours, up from none. It was obvious that "the word" had gone out from on high.

The best thing about this brouhaha is that many good citizens will be steered to such excellent e-sources of information, news and opinion such as Naked Capitalism and the wonderful Unz.com.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Here's an interesting piece from PBS Newshour (which I'm sure some people will object to): The very real consequences of fake news stories

Quote:
But here’s where problem lies with fake news and the human mind. Our brains have a finite capacity for processing information and for remembering, so our minds make value judgments about what to keep. Humor tips the scales in favor of being remembered and recalled, even when counterarguments are strong.

Last edited by toosie; 12-06-2016 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: TOS - copyright - just the link and a brief snippet please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events