Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

It is a good way to create shareholder value. Nobody is forcing people to fly. If they all do it I can see why it would be a smart thing.. airlines had problems with profitability in the past and it's good to see them on solid financial footing now.

I'd be more concerned if they start letting people use phones on flights for voice calls... for simplicity sake to keep the inconsiderate people at bay, I would stick to no voice calls otherwise you'll have the random person talking at the top of their lungs.

Disclaimer: I own shares of JetBlue at $16.30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 59,356 times
Next trip I'm just gonna FedEx my stuff. This is what my relative that works for FedEx does.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:24 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jeezus they're nickel and dime-ing passengers to death.

So now there's basic economy, where you can't use the overhead bin, and whatever they call the next higher economy which I presume allows you to use overhead bin. Good luck trying to enforce that, I guarantee you some basic economy passengers will try to weasel their luggage onto overhead bins. It's a fact of life, passengers exist to break the rules and try to game the system. Trying to board early, trying to sit in business class, etc.
The airline companies are scum.

United planning to do this only means that other airlines will automatically, and obediently, follow suit..

There is ZERO justification for this. ZERO.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
United planning to do this only means that other airlines will automatically, and obediently, follow suit..
You ARE aware that Delta is the airline that came up with this? United is just following suit.

Quote:
There is ZERO justification for this. ZERO.
Lower ticket prices that lead to increased ticket sales is the justification for this. Unfortunately, a lot of customers are just plain cheap.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Grill View Post
Next trip I'm just gonna FedEx my stuff. This is what my relative that works for FedEx does.
A lot of people actually do that. Especially if the items in question are valuable, FedEx is safer (as you can get proper insurance from them for loss or damage). And it's usually cheaper as well.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Time for plan b....mail my stuff to the hotel.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
They are loosing business to Spirit and Frontier who are flying full planes, while it may only be 1 flight a day from some destinations, its still 130-178 people the big 3 dont get to gouge price wise.

Yeah....but...then those people are flying on Spirit or Frontier. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
These fares are designed to compete with Spirit. You want cheap? Fine but the ticket will match the fare. Don't like it, buy a more expensive ticket or go fly Spirit which does the same thing.

Yep. You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Don't people already pay for priority boarding, (or is that just not United)?

I think some airlines do. But a lot of others get that perk due to their status level with a given airline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I had to look this up..

Carry-on bag
The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.

It can depend on the airline. A number of European airlines have smaller requirements for carry-on luggage (both in terms of size and weight) and they tend to be a lot more strict about the enforcement of their carry-on policies than the U.S. airlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My luggage goes above my seat. If something is already there, I call the flight attendant to find a place for it.

On what airline and how often do they actually move it? Most of the time I have seen someone complain about a bag being in the bin above their seat (at least in coach) the FA's usually tell them to find another spot. The bin space is not generally considered reserved by seat location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
They should get rid of flight attendants.

FA's are primarily there for the safety of the passengers; they are not waiters and waitresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why? If Ticket A costs $200 plus $50 in checked bag fees, and Ticket B comes with a free checked bag but costs $275, even with the bag fee Ticket A is cheaper. If all other things are equal, why wouldn't you choose Ticket A?

Lowest cost is lowest cost, whether you pay it all upfront or in separate chunks.

There are a number of reasons for not choosing the lowest cost - flight schedule, number of connections, which airline you are flying. Those factors matter to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
The two times that I've flown on Spirit, I paid $50/leg extra for the big front seat - a seat that costs hundreds extra with American or United

I can't speak to United, but I have noticed that the fare difference between coach and First / Business has gotten relatively smaller on a number of AA's flights, especially if you are able to book far enough in advance.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Maybe they have in mind sticky notes pasted on the passenger that is boarding. Something like: Post it note on forehead saying "Paid overhead space". One on leg "Paid extra leg room". On fat rear end "Paid for seat belt extension". Paid for extra barf bag on lips of passenger. On wheel chair "Did not pay for existing plane". Old lady "Paid for extra time to walk down aisle".

Some thing along those line would be fun. Yeah right.

ETA: "Paid for functioning oxygen mask in case needed" or "Pre-paid use of Emergency exit".

I need to stop now bc maybe my jokes will be taken seriously by the airlines.. NO MORE good ideas for you!

Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
"Low fares" arent all that low much any more. Then again, flying is more and more like a flying prison camp. It's gotten to the point Id rather drive with 2 kids for 2 days to see my parents in FL.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Thats what you get when there is no competition from trains. A lot of these short-medium haul flights are very train friendly, and a train ride is a very comfortable experience, even compared to a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events