Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, you don't have kids. Please don't try to give advice to me on raising them.

Because I'm always rolling around with my squad of jump out boyz ready to go at any time. I'm not allowed to leave the house with just me and my children. Jumping into the middle of a domestic situation to rescue someone and there's a good chance they both take sides and attack you. Or say I win and suddenly she changes her story when the cops do show up and takes the dirtbag's side again and claims I attacked him. Not worth it. And I'm not going to abandon my toddler or young kid or both to join a fight under any circumstances.
I'm not trying to give you advise. Many years ago, I lived in a place which could become unstable, dangerous very quickly. My husband told me that if he called and said, "these particular words", that I should pack a bag, get a cab to the the airport, and leave on the next available flight.

We teach our children the lessons we have learned.

When you go to the same bar every Friday for 15 years for a happy hour drink, you know everyone in the place. Those guys quelled every disturbance in the bar and the parking lot. No need to call the police.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not trying to give you advise. Many years ago, I lived in a place which could become unstable, dangerous very quickly. My husband told me that if he called and said, "these particular words", that I should pack a bag, get a cab to the the airport, and leave on the next available flight.

We teach our children the lessons we have learned.

When you go to the same bar every Friday for 15 years for a happy hour drink, you know everyone in the place. Those guys quelled every disturbance in the bar and the parking lot. No need to call the police.
Well than you should know that a 4 year old isn't going to be able to deal with her Daddy leaving her to join a street fight nor is she going to be able to follow some Liam Neeson type instructions from Taken if the stuff hits the fan.

I dont live in an action movie or a third world country like you seem to be describing and I don't frequent bars and you were most certainly calling my parenting skills in into question but whatever. Apparently not being able to karate chop bullets or being confident that I can win any fight against any assailant is a weakness on my part. I'm also not a cyborg nor invulnerable. Nor am I independantly wealthy so the prospect of missing work because of an extended hospital stay is a valid concern that I have to weigh out before I decide to put myself into a situation. TamaraSavannah's post sums this up perfectly. This whole thread has twisted into a contrived hypothetical that has very little to do with the OP. Im not talking about fight/flight or heroes vs cowards. Im talking about weighing out options and choosing the wiser notion to let authorities and skilled people handle adverse situations and me handling my own business. If you live in Jason Bourne world and need to keep a Go Bag under your bed...well I cant comment or relate so GLWT.

The article says the deceased noticed an argument getting violent while the couple was in a place of business. Yet no one else thought to call the police and no one else intervened. Why? The woman chose to leave the place of business with her assailant and get in his car. Why? Was the violence not significant enough for anyone else to notice or intervene? Was it not enough for her to fear her safety and not leave with him?

The deceased chose to put himself into the situation and approach the man in his car. Not a smart decision and not a good tactical position for those of us who can bleed.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
This good Samaritan was an employee where I work. His coworkers will miss him, as, I'm sure, will his family. A young life taken too soon by a criminal who will assault and murder. Glad they finally got the guy.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
This whole discussion reminds me of that one scene in 'saving private ryan' when 'Upton'?spl was on the stairs while his US buddy was hand to hand fighting with that German. All he had to do was go up there in aid of his friend and he would be alive. But he cowers to move and do anything which end up costing his buddy's life.

I just don't understand how someone can live with themselves in situations like that.

I'm not saying stick your nose in someone's business but if a person is in dire need of help. How can you as a person not help?

Take it for what it is.
Exactly. Male or female, people are just going to stand by and watch someone else get hurt because they don't want to risk being the target of someone else's wrath? Heck no. Besides, I have discovered a lot of these clowns just puff their chest, act like a tough guy (or girl) and when someone calls them out on it, they back down.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
He that passeth by and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one who taketh a dog by the ears.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
please bring it back in - the parenting and movie side-bars are off topic.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:42 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke.

Sometimes, it isn't feasible to get into an altercation by yourself, and risk physical harm. Every situation is different. But you should always do SOMETHING, whether it's calling the cops, telling others what is happening, getting additional help so you're not alone, etc.

But doing NOTHING... there is no justification for that if you are a moral person.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:53 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
When the police respond to a domestic dispute they shoot to stop the threat. I would do the same however it is very unlikely I would have clear just cause so I avoid it.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I learned my lesson in my early 20's a drunk guy at a bar starting hitting his girl...laid her right out bleeding

so I went over to help her up....he took a swing at me....and I pounded him down,,,til he was face down bleeding..

well, she come to,,,,i told her he wont hurt you anymore tonight,,,,, and offered her a ride home ,,,and she went bat**** on me,,,,
giving me all kinds of grief- ...for beating up her abusive boyfriend..

he got up she wiped the blood from his nose ....and she willingly left with him..

if that guy had a gun,,,id be dead for helping out,,,

domestic fights,,,stay out of,,,

Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well than you should know that a 4 year old isn't going to be able to deal with her Daddy leaving her to join a street fight nor is she going to be able to follow some Liam Neeson type instructions from Taken if the stuff hits the fan.

I dont live in an action movie or a third world country like you seem to be describing and I don't frequent bars and you were most certainly calling my parenting skills in into question but whatever. Apparently not being able to karate chop bullets or being confident that I can win any fight against any assailant is a weakness on my part. I'm also not a cyborg nor invulnerable. Nor am I independantly wealthy so the prospect of missing work because of an extended hospital stay is a valid concern that I have to weigh out before I decide to put myself into a situation. TamaraSavannah's post sums this up perfectly. This whole thread has twisted into a contrived hypothetical that has very little to do with the OP. Im not talking about fight/flight or heroes vs cowards. Im talking about weighing out options and choosing the wiser notion to let authorities and skilled people handle adverse situations and me handling my own business. If you live in Jason Bourne world and need to keep a Go Bag under your bed...well I cant comment or relate so GLWT.

The article says the deceased noticed an argument getting violent while the couple was in a place of business. Yet no one else thought to call the police and no one else intervened. Why? The woman chose to leave the place of business with her assailant and get in his car. Why? Was the violence not significant enough for anyone else to notice or intervene? Was it not enough for her to fear her safety and not leave with him?

The deceased chose to put himself into the situation and approach the man in his car. Not a smart decision and not a good tactical position for those of us who can bleed.
I wasn't criticizing your parenting skills. Really. I meant that if you're going to do something that's crazy and dangerous, you need to get a child away from the area first. That's it.

Yes, a long time ago I was married to Jason Bourne. After that, I was married to Jack Byrnes for a while. Same guy, but he had distinctly different personalities at different times. My husband wouldn't have approached that car. Too dangerous. Not a good tactical position. I agree.

This is the sort of thing my son would do...but he's not Jason Bourne and he would just be killed. A big heart doesn't make very good body armor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events