Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

In the past few months there have been several such incidents where guys tried to intervene in what was a domestic dispute, and got seriously injured or killed.

I'm sorry, but there's no time to be a 'hero' in these volatile situations. Call the police and let them deal with it. I'm sure there are guys out there who think they'll be men of honor and defend women they see in these situations. More power to you, but life is not always a Chuck Norris movie with a clean resolution. I've heard of some situations where the woman being abused herself will turn on the 'hero.'

Just don't do it, it's not worth losing your life and leaving your loved ones behind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ac6b9#comments

Quote:
Gingerella was at Ryan’s Pub with friends when he saw a man and a woman having an argument that turned violent.

Concerned, he followed them as they went outside and saw the man striking the woman in a car.

He didn’t know the couple, but he tried to intervene, police say.

That’s when the man, who police later identified as 30-year-old Dante Hughes, pulled a gun and aimed it at Gingerella. He fired several shots. Gingerella was taken to the hospital, but it was too late. He was pronounced dead early Sunday.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,321 times
You gotta let women be with the guys they chose, LOL.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Domestic disputes are dangerous.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 PM

758 posts, read 550,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In the past few months there have been several such incidents where guys tried to intervene in what was a domestic dispute, and got seriously injured or killed.

I'm sorry, but there's no time to be a 'hero' in these volatile situations. Call the police and let them deal with it. I'm sure there are guys out there who think they'll be men of honor and defend women they see in these situations. More power to you, but life is not always a Chuck Norris movie with a clean resolution. I've heard of some situations where the woman being abused herself will turn on the 'hero.'

Just don't do it, it's not worth losing your life and leaving your loved ones behind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ac6b9#comments
I used to live in a small college town in the south. As I stood at a red light a woman approached, followed by a man. It seemed she was trying to get away from him. But she was stopped at the light. And, he started pushing her like he was going to push her into the street as traffic whizzed by. She wasn't laughing, and said "Stop." But he continued. I turned to him and said "The lady said 'STOP'." He turned to me to feebly protest that he was kidding, but he stopped. The light changed, she turned to me and said "Thanks," and walked hurriedly away. He followed slowly behind her, and I followed him. He eventually turned off down a side street, while she kept going. And, as far as I know, that was the end of it.

I admit it was years ago, before people killed each other over sneakers. But I believe I would do the same thing today that I did then. I wouldn't chase someone into a car. But if someone is standing right beside me pushing someone into the street, I'm going to respond somehow.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
I'm sorry but how dumb of him to get involved. He should've called the cops and let it at that.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
This is why hardily anyone gets involved today and its sad..

Poor woman .. Poor guy

Old 12-15-2016, 06:06 AM

531 posts, read 384,323 times
Never try to be a hero. Its not worth the risk. Always best to keep walking and pretend you dont see anything.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Domestic disputes are dangerous, but not always identifiable. I hope we'll all get involved when we see a man beating up a woman in the street, even us ladies. Carry a brick in that purse. A small squirt bottle (liquid dish soap) of ammonia is good too. Aim for the chest and let the fumes incapacitate. Carry the bottle in your purse in the cell phone slot (if it has one). It will keep the bottle upright. A pistol is better, but only if you learn how to use it. Practice at a range several times a year.

The police department is understaffed. Plus the police are losing their "enthusiasm"... and who can blame them amidst all the hatred for them. We must protect ourselves and each other. God help society if we refuse to intervene when another human is being senselessly beaten before our eyes.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Agreed. It's 2016, people are crazier than ever before.

I'd like to consider myself a good person. I'm a big dude, and if I see a woman being hit on by a guy, my first instinct would be to help.

Nope. Sorry.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,848 times
my ONLY responsibility is to raise my son and be a good husband. I steer clear of any situation that may affect my ability to perform my primary responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events