Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:03 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times

Advertisements

I have no issue with how much a parent spends on their kids - my issue with this is that this excess DOES impact others.

Buying hundreds of "cheap" (usually throwaway items) to foster your own ego (including all the paper etc) has a huge impact on our environment.

One quality item at $100 that will be used or worn for years has a much smaller "footprint" than 30 pieces of dollar store trash wrapped in dollar store paper.

I'm no tree hugger, but this makes zero sense to me. Media coverage is "feeding" this self absorption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
To put it in perspective it is $1772.62 in U.S. Dollars or 590.87 per kid. How many U.S. parents have spent that on a kid? Probably quite a few.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Or she may prey on people who think this is what the holidays are all about and start a Gofundme campaign.
online panhandling. Not falling for it.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ya know guys, maybe she just likes to watch her kids open presents. I found that was the best part, my kids were as excited opening a $1 Slinky, or whatever, as they were the $100 game console.

And referring back to my earlier post, I had to go get tangerines this morning.
LOL, Can not figure out the fascination with Tangerines, Cuties, Tangelos, Mandarins, or Oranges that so many people have. Is that a cold weather thing to be able to hold an orange at Christmas time?

Here is a story for everyone. Had a friend that grew up in snow country somewhere. I don't remember where. One year I was visiting his home around Christmas time and he was putting cloves on an orange for some reason. Realize we both are living here in Southern California, a place I have lived all of my life. I asked him about it. he tells me that when he was growing up it was a big deal to get an orange with cloves in it each year for Christmas. Everyone in his family loved getting them.

After he tells me about his families tradition I tell him, I don't think your kids are going to appreciate getting an orange in a stocking as much as he did. He asked me why, and I tell him because he has an orange tree in the backyard. He then tells me, "where do you think I got the oranges from." LOL

Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, Can not figure out the fascination with Tangerines, Cuties, Tangelos, Mandarins, or Oranges that so many people have. Is that a cold weather thing to be able to hold an orange at Christmas time?
Isn't getting an Orange at the bottom of your stocking at Christmas a British/Commonwealth custom? My MIL is Canadian and always includes one in our kids stockings when we have Christmas with them. She says she got them as a child.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Some people put up a million Christmas lights.
To each their own.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:35 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Here is a story for everyone. Had a friend that grew up in snow country somewhere. I don't remember where. One year I was visiting his home around Christmas time and he was putting cloves on an orange for some reason. Realize we both are living here in Southern California, a place I have lived all of my life. I asked him about it. he tells me that when he was growing up it was a big deal to get an orange with cloves in it each year for Christmas. Everyone in his family loved getting them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Isn't getting an Orange at the bottom of your stocking at Christmas a British/Commonwealth custom? My MIL is Canadian and always includes one in our kids stockings when we have Christmas with them. She says she got them as a child.
I think it's from the time when fruit was seasonal and expensive off season so an orange was a "treat".

Both of our sets of parents were Depression babies and it carried over to Mrs. NBP.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Two things Emma Tapping undeniably loves are Christmas and her family (although you might be able to throw holiday shopping into the mix). The 36-year-old British mother of three recently appeared on the talk show “This Morning” to defend her decision to spend about $2,400 CAD (£1,500) on more than 300 gifts for her three children — roughly 100 each. Her husband will get a few surprises under the tree as well.

She can spend her money on whatever she wants. Lets be logical though. 85 Gifts each? Will the kids even play with all of that? I doubt it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-defen...180504539.html
My one grandson still has unopened gifts from last Christmas and they will be given again this year. He is three almost four.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Too much excess of anything is never good. Even someone showing an excess of good manners and "please and thank you's" would drive us all insane after a while.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times
Obviously it's her money and she can do whatever she wants withnit.

I don't care about the total amount is spending. I just don't get the point of giving children 85 gifts that are worth on average $8 dollars each. Workmanlike a huge pile of junk. Taken that amount and buy bicycles, sportsngear,books, museum passes, etc., That would make more sense to me. But <shrug> not my circus...

When my son was young and we celebrated Hanukkah, I would buy him one big gift (bicycle, easel and chalk, etc) and seven small (stickers, slinky, etc) for the other nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events