Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The rise in heroin deaths in this country are a direct result of the opioid addictions that began with kids having pill parties based on their parent's medicine cabinets. They used to gather whatever and throw it in a candy bowl at parties. Because it was prescription, it was "safe" to them.

It might have started out safe in your parent's medicine cabinet, but when those pills are gone, and that addiction mistress is clawing at you, speaking to you, pleading with you... heroin is right there to solve your problems and ease your pain... and the first hit is always free...

It's a fast ride down. Don't start it with a Vicodin or some silly thought of "just this once". Addiction is a jealous mistress who will take everything from you.
Not to derail the tragic thread topic, but.....

I have several congenital problems with the joints in my legs and had my first knee surgery at age 19..... In the 37 years since, I have had injuries and more surgeries on both knees and one hip..... I have taken opioid pain medications through all of it, sometimes for lengthy periods of time and I have NEVER, not ONCE, even considered heroin..... My other hip is now worn out and I am facing a replacement in the next few months..... but it is attitudes such as yours that has made physicians to afraid to prescribe anything stronger than Tramadol for pain relief.... The same medication I give my 12 year old dog for her arthritic knees.

Not everyone who uses opioid pain medication becomes an addict.... In fact, I would wager that most of us don't.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:36 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Not to derail the tragic thread topic, but.....

I have several congenital problems with the joints in my legs and had my first knee surgery at age 19..... In the 37 years since, I have had injuries and more surgeries on both knees and one hip..... I have taken opioid pain medications through all of it, sometimes for lengthy periods of time and I have NEVER, not ONCE, even considered heroin..... My other hip is now worn out and I am facing a replacement in the next few months..... but it is attitudes such as yours that has made physicians to afraid to prescribe anything stronger than Tramadol for pain relief.... The same medication I give my 12 year old dog for her arthritic knees.

Not everyone who uses opioid pain medication becomes an addict.... In fact, I would wager that most of us don't.....
It's not my attitude that's a problem at all. I've worked in medicine for a long time and am all for appropriate pain management, using opioids, or whatever it takes for patients in need.

I am NOT for the cavalier distribution and abuse of these medications. We have plenty of doctors that operate pill mills. Those guys are the source of your misery. When they crack down on them, they end up interfering with patients who have a genuine need for these meds.

If you don't think there is a problem with abuse of Rx opioids, though, I would invite you to read some of the stats on Rx overdose deaths which outnumber all illegal drugs combined, and the heroin epidemic among middle class people who can no longer get their RX meds.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:10 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Poor baby. Family services did a home visit after the father was treated with Narcan for an overdose and found the home environment acceptable.
Family Services tends to find too many dangerous homes acceptable. They miss a lot of warning signs, and it's the kids who end up suffering, or dead.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:32 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
On the bright side, that's some bad genes out of the gene pool.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:21 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The rise in heroin deaths in this country are a direct result of the opioid addictions that began with kids having pill parties based on their parent's medicine cabinets. They used to gather whatever and throw it in a candy bowl at parties. Because it was prescription, it was "safe" to them.

It might have started out safe in your parent's medicine cabinet, but when those pills are gone, and that addiction mistress is clawing at you, speaking to you, pleading with you... heroin is right there to solve your problems and ease your pain... and the first hit is always free...

It's a fast ride down. Don't start it with a Vicodin or some silly thought of "just this once". Addiction is a jealous mistress who will take everything from you.

My daughters preschool teacher who had a son and his best friend die as a result of a "pill party". They were both seniors in high school. Very sad!

This situation just sickens me! Makes you wonder if any of their family members tried to take the child away if they knew these two were on drugs. Maybe they didn't know. Just awful!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:44 PM

545 posts, read 594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats very sad......... I can only hope all 3 of them are together in heaven......... Very sad

Poor baby......
They all should be there...don't believe the bible prohibits death by drugs....just excessive alcohol use.. primarily wine!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Were there no grandparents checking on this baby? No neighbors that could hear her crying. Poor little one, God Bless her.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Somebody needs to be sued up the wazoo for this.
Oh? And who would that be? Had they taken the child "just" because Dad had an overdose everyone would be sqwalking about how unfair it was and that it was government overreaching. Caseworkers are expected to do everything possible to keep the family unified, both by regulation and public expectations.

Where were the grandparents? Where were the neighbors? Where were the parents' siblings? Where are the people who knew this guy had a very young child and that he ended up in the ER because of an overdose? That is where the real blame lies, family not taking responsibility for other family members. Blaming the government and the underpaid caseworker is easy, but they shouldn't have had to intervene in the first place.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh? And who would that be? Had they taken the child "just" because Dad had an overdose everyone would be sqwalking about how unfair it was and that it was government overreaching. Caseworkers are expected to do everything possible to keep the family unified, both by regulation and public expectations.

Where were the grandparents? Where were the neighbors? Where were the parents' siblings? Where are the people who knew this guy had a very young child and that he ended up in the ER because of an overdose? That is where the real blame lies, family not taking responsibility for other family members. Blaming the government and the underpaid caseworker is easy, but they shouldn't have had to intervene in the first place.
I was thinking the same thing. What an incredibly difficult job those family auditors must have. They lose no matter what they decide.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 1,779 times
"The only saving grace is the child went straight to heaven not having sinned on this Earth."

There is no saving grace..the poor baby suffered and starved to death and heaven has nothing to do with anything. Good grief, science is fact and your religion is a fairy tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events