Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Some were flash mobs playing the knock out game or "polar bear hunting."

One day its going to happen in a concealed carry state and someone is going to pull a gun on the miscreants and the guy who did not want to get his azz beat is going to kill a few and the SJW will go wild against him.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
1/2 a dozen malls across the entire USA is now an "epidemic"? 6 malls? Thanks for the laugh of the day. Breaking news everyone 6 malls in the entire USA had a fight in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There are approximately 1050 enclosed malls in the US to put things in perspective. 12 malls represents about 1.1% had a fight in them. We have had fights in Pittsburgh at a mall that has quite a few city kids go there. They beefed up security and things have settled down. It sucks it happens, but I hardly call 1.1% of malls an epidemic to be honest.
This is an example of how people can twist stats to fit their narrative. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have the stats from previous decades, but my guess is that in the past, that 1.1% might have only been .1%. Such a huge uptick in just two decades can be considered an epidemic. In fact, this behavior sunk two of our older malls in our city and is causing issues at our downtown and NE flagship malls.

The developers got smart. The three newest malls are completely open air. No more climate controlled areas for unsupervised and unruly kids and teens to hangout. For one of our flagship malls, it is absolutely an epidemic. They instituted chaperon rules, but I'm not sure if they are enforced. This mall was where one of the nationwide brawls took place at. When the number of issues more than doubles, I would say that percentage increase fits the definition of epidemic. When the police department has to develop special response squads, I say that fits the definition of an epidemic. While only 5% of a group of a hundred plus might actually be causing trouble, yelling, screaming, etc., when those incidents quadruple in scope (and in the case of our downtown mall, it happens pretty much every weekend outside of the colder winter months. Every weekend) it is an epidemic.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
This is an example of how people can twist stats to fit their narrative. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have the stats from previous decades, but my guess is that in the past, that 1.1% might have only been .1%. Such a huge uptick in just two decades can be considered an epidemic. In fact, this behavior sunk two of our older malls in our city and is causing issues at our downtown and NE flagship malls.

The developers got smart. The three newest malls are completely open air. No more climate controlled areas for unsupervised and unruly kids and teens to hangout. For one of our flagship malls, it is absolutely an epidemic. They instituted chaperon rules, but I'm not sure if they are enforced. This mall was where one of the nationwide brawls took place at. When the number of issues more than doubles, I would say that percentage increase fits the definition of epidemic. When the police department has to develop special response squads, I say that fits the definition of an epidemic. While only 5% of a group of a hundred plus might actually be causing trouble, yelling, screaming, etc., when those incidents quadruple in scope (and in the case of our downtown mall, it happens pretty much every weekend outside of the colder winter months. Every weekend) it is an epidemic.
That has nothing to do with malls. It has to do with the people in that town. If you removed the mall, since it happens outside the mall, the behavior would continue, right? Because the PEOPLE are the problem, not the mall.

Epidemic indeed. False news yet again. Who will shut down the networks because they know not the meaning of epidemic and are using it to spread false stories?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM

42 posts, read 75,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
That number of malls is alarming to have violence in. Its sad in that an already turbulent country we cannot even catch a break post Christmas.

Its like there is a complete aversion to peace. Controversy and conflict all around with hardly a break this whole year.
My first thought was that some of it "was not real" and was staged for social media.. That made the most sense with the Teens.

Though, people simply don't know how to act in general, and especially in urban areas, some might try to emulate Kanye etc.

I would think, that, if I was shopping and I heard that there were fights/Black Friday kind of mobs in other places, that if I were a disgruntled person, I would maybe say "Let me cause a disturbance here, too. My city."

Online shopping........

Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Back in 1998 there was a REASON they put that rule into place. But we have people trying to make this out to be a new phenomenon.
Several malls put a rule like that in place just a few years ago, after a similar incident that made national news. This is nothing new, but it seems that mall managers' memories need to be refreshed every 5 or 6 years, with a new sensational incident.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM

258 posts, read 299,717 times
I managed a restaurant adjacent to a large mall. Instead of monitoring their children/teens, parents would give their kid a $20 and drop them off at the mall for the day during summer and winter breaks. These kids would come in groups to our restaurant and order one chicken finger entrée to split between five people. All of them would get waters. They would destroy the table and be generally loud and obnoxious. And then they wouldn't leave a gratuity for the server because they had no concept of tipping. I tried to be as accommodating as possible, but eventually I got to a point where I refused to seat more than 2 kids without an adult that had to stay there while they were in the restaurant. It corrected the issue immediately.

We have a smaller mall in our city that has essentially the same rule on the weekends. I don't hate kids, and I realize this generalizes teens and could be unfair to well- behaved youths, but I would be fooling myself if I said it didn't make a positive difference in the mall atmosphere.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Someone went on my Reputation and wrote this comment, which is wrong:

Quote:
There's no such thing a s a "Black Friday mob". That image was created by Hollywood, and people believe it's real, which is bizarre. Learn the difference between fantasy/fiction/entertainment & reality.
^ Umm. Every year, we hear about fights and people using Mase on other customers (and then are somehow able to then buy at cashier after) the morning of the day after Thanksgiving. Inform yourself before leaving Reputation on my character here.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
I managed a restaurant adjacent to a large mall. Instead of monitoring their children/teens, parents would give their kid a $20 and drop them off at the mall for the day during summer and winter breaks. These kids would come in groups to our restaurant and order one chicken finger entrée to split between five people. All of them would get waters. They would destroy the table and be generally loud and obnoxious. And then they wouldn't leave a gratuity for the server because they had no concept of tipping. I tried to be as accommodating as possible, but eventually I got to a point where I refused to seat more than 2 kids without an adult that had to stay there while they were in the restaurant. It corrected the issue immediately.

We have a smaller mall in our city that has essentially the same rule on the weekends. I don't hate kids, and I realize this generalizes teens and could be unfair to well- behaved youths, but I would be fooling myself if I said it didn't make a positive difference in the mall atmosphere.
And I will bet that the kids that "got waters," did they then try to use the cups for soda? I've seen parents teach kids to use those small ketchup cups to get free soda from the soda dispenser where I had used to work...

Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post

Why does it happen every weekend in your downtown mall? What's wrong with the kids in your city? Why haven't mall management and the police done anything about it? Why does the population tolerate it? This is hard to believe. Mall management wouldn't allow it to go on with regularity, because it would keep shoppers away, and weekend business would vanish.

Where did kids hang out and make trouble before there were malls?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I can't understand these idiots. What do they post on social media? Just show up and fight whomever? Surprised no one tipped off the police.

I remember playing manhunt and hanging at the arcade in the local mall. As an adult I worked there for years and didn't see this. Hard to relax in populated areas these days. Give me open sky and wilderness anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.