Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

A trooper found the vehicle at 2 a.m. Not clear how long it had been there, but it sounds like the parents were out driving around with their kids awefully late. That's unusual. What could the purpose be for such a late drive, after the kids' bedtimes? Could this possibly be a joint suicide, and they didn't want to leave the kids abandoned at home, because it could have been days before neighbors realized the kids were alone? Taking the kids with them and putting the hazard lights on upon leaving the vehicle could have been their way of getting attention for the kids in a timely manner, after leaving to do whatever they did, or for the drugs they may have taken earlier to finish their effect, if they were some kind of suicide drugs. OTOH, if there were grandparents in the picture, they could have left the kids with them....

I hope there's a follow-up report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
OD seems like the likeliest explanation. They may have fixed just before the ride home from their connection.

There are insanely powerful synthetic opiates finding their way into the heroin supply, they may have realized they were slipping away into unconsciousness. In a panic, they pulled over, and turned the flashers on to at least alert the next passing cop that their kids were in the car.

Being outside of the car can be explained by their wanting to distance themselves from the scene by either thumbing a ride to the nearest emergency room, or crawling away and hiding in the brush until the stuff wore off. Perhaps they called someone they knew to pick them up and were going to say the car broke down as a cover story.

Last edited by A1eutian; 01-02-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
I just realized that this happened on New Year's Eve, which begs the question "why were the kids in the car that late?" Maybe the parents had picked them up from a sitter and they were all going home after partying? Everything I've read so far points to a happy, decent couple who loved their kids.

If this was OD... it's possible someone spiked their drinks while they were celebrating New Year's Eve. As the famous cat said, "it's gets curiouser and curiouser". (At least I think it was a cat.)

Old 01-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I just realized that this happened on New Year's Eve, which begs the question "why were the kids in the car that late?" Maybe the parents had picked them up from a sitter and they were all going home after partying? Everything I've read so far points to a happy, decent couple who loved their kids.

If this was OD... it's possible someone spiked their drinks while they were celebrating New Year's Eve. As the famous cat said, "it's gets curiouser and curiouser". (At least I think it was a cat.)
That is, indeed, the question. My experiences as a child on NY Eve were that there were no babysitters to be had, so kids were dragged along to parties, and tossed into the bedroom area of the house, all to play together as strangers. It didn't work very well, but that's all parents could do. So maybe they were all returning from a party. That actually makes sense. They may have left just after midnight, found themselves overcome with something, and stopped the car at around 12:30 a.m. And it was another hr & 1/2 before the trooper drove by.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

It wasn't New Year's Eve, it was New Year's Eve day, in the early am. Being the 31st, it gets confusing. This story is local and I saw the initial story early that morning. It's odd not to have any updates, even where the family had been earlier in the day.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It wasn't New Year's Eve, it was New Year's Eve day, in the early am. Being the 31st, it gets confusing. This story is local and I saw the initial story early that morning. It's odd not to have any updates, even where the family had been earlier in the day.
Do you mean, it was 2 a.m. of the day leading up to NY Eve? NY Eve hadn't happened yet?

That is very strange. Why on Earth would they be out at that hour with all their kids in the car? Thanks for any info you can provide, being a local, and all. I hope social svcs can keep the three kids together. Or at least--the older two. The baby won't remember anything of it, and will be easier to find an adoptive home for.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:34 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you mean, it was 2 a.m. of the day leading up to NY Eve? NY Eve hadn't happened yet?

That is very strange. Why on Earth would they be out at that hour with all their kids in the car? Thanks for any info you can provide, being a local, and all. I hope social svcs can keep the three kids together. Or at least--the older two. The baby won't remember anything of it, and will be easier to find an adoptive home for.
New Year's Eve is the 24 hours before New Year's Day. So this was in the early morning hours of Dec 31.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
My guess is OD. As to what they were doing at that hour, it could have been very innocent - i.e. on the way to or from a relative's gathering over the holidays. A lot of people do the "night drive" to avoid traffic and the costs of a hotel, etc...

The "opiate epidemic" is much more pervasive than we imagine. Moderator cut: consumer complaintmarket now being filled by vast shipments of synthetic drugs from China a elsewhere...a tiny bit of which can kill you.

Of course, I could be wrong.

A LOT of opiate deaths are never reported as same. I know people who "woke up dead" in their parents home and that's the way the story was told. A young man just wakes up dead. Nothing more.

Last edited by toosie; 01-02-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 05:19 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Very sad story to say the least. There seems to be a number of, strange stories that come out of Fla. I certainly hope these 3 little kids, will have a good home to go to.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A trooper found the vehicle at 2 a.m. Not clear how long it had been there, but it sounds like the parents were out driving around with their kids awefully late. That's unusual. What could the purpose be for such a late drive, after the kids' bedtimes? Could this possibly be a joint suicide, and they didn't want to leave the kids abandoned at home, because it could have been days before neighbors realized the kids were alone? Taking the kids with them and putting the hazard lights on upon leaving the vehicle could have been their way of getting attention for the kids in a timely manner, after leaving to do whatever they did, or for the drugs they may have taken earlier to finish their effect, if they were some kind of suicide drugs. OTOH, if there were grandparents in the picture, they could have left the kids with them....

I hope there's a follow-up report.
or they were traveling home from the holidays. Maybe their family was from out of state. We often let the kids sleep when we left at night to come home. They slept and we had a quiet drive home. ...

I agree, the hazard lights are an indication that they had their wits about them . Anything beyond that is speculation til the police give more clear data of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events