Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want furniture that wouldn't be secure in its own right. I'd rather have used, sturdy furniture than some new furniture that wouldn't hold up.
Even used furniture can tip over if a child puts enough weight on the front. Its not like the dresser just randomly tipped over on its own, the two boys were opening the drawers and climbing on them. Dressers are not designed to be used as a jungle gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Luckily, it was a cheap pressboard one that was empty, so neither was hurt.
Um, OK. A few musings...

Cheap pressboard and empty. That's why it fell over. If it was made of wood and full, it would not have tipped over.

Neither of my boys ever tipped over a piece of furniture. I have never attached any furniture to the wall. I wasn't even aware that this is "a thing" now. Thank God my kids are grown, or my wife would have me running around the house nailing stuff to the wall.

The dresser crashed to the floor and the video continues for 90 seconds, but the Mom didn't come running into the room?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

Cheap pressboard and empty. That's why it fell over. If it was made of wood and full, it would not have tipped over.

Neither of my boys ever tipped over a piece of furniture. I have never attached any furniture to the wall.
And I've never been in a car accident. Should I stop taking safety precautions and never use a seat belt? Its probably only those cheap cars that get into accidents, not my well made car.

Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it does not happen.

It is not only "cheap pressboard" furniture that tips over. This dresser isn't made from pressboard. It is solid wood, and still tipped over. My 30 year old solid wood dresser from Thomasville furniture would also tip over if a toddler started using the draws as a step stool. It has nothing to do with the quality of the furniture, but rather they were not designed to be used that way.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think you're confused. The commenter(the post I quoted. Not the woman who wrote the blog post but just one of the many people who commented on it) got the pamphlet about the blogger's story at her birthing class. She took it in as she said that it "haunted her" and she took child proofing, including anchoring furniture very seriously because of it. Her friends who did not get the pamphlet and who did not read the personal story about the child's death and who were not made aware of the dangers in such a way were the ones who laughed at the commenter for being overly cautious.
Yes I see now where I misread the post. But I believe there is still no guarantee that if the friends had received a pamphlet and heard the personal story would have been motivated to attach their furniture to the wall. Many people have the "this will never happen to me" outlook on life. You just cannot force people to do things they don't want to do even when it's for their or their children's own good.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Some parents' misunderstanding seems to be that the "Nanny Cam" is not a real Nanny which will physically intervene during a time of need; it will not morph Transformer-like into an EMS first responder and it will not interrupt your texting with the message: "Junior has fallen and he can't get up".

Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Some parents' misunderstanding seems to be that the "Nanny Cam" is not a real Nanny which will physically intervene during a time of need; it will not morph Transformer-like into an EMS first responder and it will not interrupt your texting with the message: "Junior has fallen and he can't get up".
The parent weren't watching the incident unfold in another room. It happened in the morning and the parents were still asleep. They watched the footage only after coming into the boys room and seeing the dresser tipped over on the floor.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:13 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The parent weren't watching the incident unfold in another room. It happened in the morning and the parents were still asleep. They watched the footage only after coming into the boys room and seeing the dresser tipped over on the floor.
Exactly. Recording action is not a substitute for watching your kids.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Exactly. Recording action is not a substitute for watching your kids.
People sleep. Parents are people. The boys woke up before the parents did and were playing in their room. The parents didn't know the boys were up yet, in their room, playing, as they were still asleep.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes I see now where I misread the post. But I believe there is still no guarantee that if the friends had received a pamphlet and heard the personal story would have been motivated to attach their furniture to the wall. Many people have the "this will never happen to me" outlook on life. You just cannot force people to do things they don't want to do even when it's for their or their children's own good.
I agree with this. I think that people believe it won't happen to them so they do nothing. Only after people hear more and more and more about these tragic stories will we see a major change in this regard. As of now, I don't think that most parents anchor all dressers, night stands, bookshelves, etc. both tall and low, cheap furniture and quality, TV's etc. to the walls.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
People don't HAVE to bolt their furniture to the wall. There's furniture in every room. There's a place in every room for a kid to injure himself. This is called life with kids.

My generation and those before would've had a good laugh at the idea of bolting furniture to anything so kids don't tump things over.

The kids could easily leave their room and go climb on furniture in other rooms. They could jump off any furniture that's bolted and break their necks. They could've gone outside and walked down the road and gotten lost.

You cannot make the world safety-proof for kids, no matter how hard you try.

You can lock your kids in at night, and have no furniture in the room. Then people would criticize you for being nutso and dangerous to get in to save the kids in case there's a fire or other emergency.

There's no shortage of criticism for parents, it seems.
No kidding. I honestly don't know how any of us made it to adulthood. Especially from the days when kids played outside, in trees, on roads, out of view, and out of mind, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events