Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm wondering if some 5 year olds today lack the mental capacity of my generation or even my children's generation. It wasn't common in my day for 5 year olds to bolt out the door and take off. We got up while our parents slept, fixed cereal, watched TV but we knew we weren't to leave the yard and we rarely went out in the yard if they were not up yet. When they were up we had a certain "home range" we stayed within. No locks or alarms we just obeyed our parents.
And yet they wonder why little Johnny needs mommy to fill out his college application or why he's still living in the basement at 28.

My first grader brought home a whole-class note from the teacher yesterday asking parents to say their good-byes near the office and to let the children walk to their classes on their own and put their own supplies away. "And maybe by April the children will be able to say their good-byes in the drop off lane" . Are you kidding me? Stop walking your kid to class! My Kindergartener doesn't have a problem climbing out of the backseat by herself and walking up the sidewalk to school. If we didn't live out in the country they'd be walking to school.

Last edited by toosie; 01-04-2017 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: deleted profanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,485,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
And yet they wonder why little Johnny needs mommy to fill out his college application or why he's still living in the basement at 28.

My first grader brought home a whole-class note from the teacher yesterday asking parents to say their good-byes near the office and to let the children walk to their classes on their own and put their own supplies away. "And maybe by April the children will be able to say their good-byes in the drop off lane" . Are you kidding me? Stop walking your kid to class! My Kindergartener doesn't have a problem climbing out of the backseat by herself and walking up the sidewalk to school. If we didn't live out in the country they'd be walking to school.
When I was in kindergarten, I attended 2 different schools. The first school was in a rural area, so I got a ride to the bus stop with the neighbor kid, who was also in kindergarten. Then, part way through the year, we moved to a neighborhood in a small city, and the bus stop was a few blocks away. So, I just walked to the bus stop with the other kids who also walked to the stop. I grew up in a blue-collar family, and they had to be at work almost 2 hours before school started, so I never expected to get a ride to school!

Last edited by toosie; 01-04-2017 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: deleetd quoted profanity

Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
For all we know when the father said it was Saturday, the kid did go back to his room and appear to go to sleep. After a few restless minutes he got up and decided he was going to school anyway. At that age a child can even deliberately wait until their parent is asleep so they can go ahead and do what they want to do without the parent telling them no. The father doesn't deserve a criminal record over this.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

And what parent goes back to sleep when a 5-year-old boy is afoot?

You hear that parents? You are no longer allowed to sleep until your children are 18 or out of the house. I swear sometimes the stupidty of some people (most likely someone without children) astounds me.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:

*sigh*
Oh the judgement...

When I was in kinder, I rode the bus. All my sons used the car pool lane at school. One didn't even say good bye to me on his first day of kinder, he was just so excited.

But my daughter...she has severe anxiety and emotional distress issues (due to adoption trauma) and getting her to use carpool at preschool was a multi year process that was fraught with tears and distress.

Switching schools made us go back to the beginning. A week in we get an nasty gram about not walking the kids into the building. I knew my daughter too well, and the teacher blamed me for her crying in class in the morning. Apparently my child crying irritated her.

I worked with her over several months until she was able to walk in herself. But of course...the teacher's judgement and other parents.

*sigh*

Last edited by toosie; 01-04-2017 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted profanity

Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
There will always be kids with special circumstances. That doesn't negate the broader trend of helicoptering. It seems my school isn't the only one dealing with it.

Besides, parents can be very creative in excusing their children's behavior.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
There will always be kids with special circumstances. That doesn't negate the broader trend of helicoptering. It seems my school isn't the only one dealing with it.

Besides, parents can be very creative in excusing their children's behavior.
I think I will leave it up to the parent to decide what is best for their own child.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:33 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
*sigh*
Oh the judgement...

When I was in kinder, I rode the bus. All my sons used the car pool lane at school. One didn't even say good bye to me on his first day of kinder, he was just so excited.

But my daughter...she has severe anxiety and emotional distress issues (due to adoption trauma) and getting her to use carpool at preschool was a multi year process that was fraught with tears and distress.

Switching schools made us go back to the beginning. A week in we get an nasty gram about not walking the kids into the building. I knew my daughter too well, and the teacher blamed me for her crying in class in the morning. Apparently my child crying irritated her.

I worked with her over several months until she was able to walk in herself. But of course...the teacher's judgement and other parents.

*sigh*
Why did you not make the teachers aware of your daughters unique situation?
Of course your daughter is your first concern but teachers and administrators have many children they need to be concerned with. By first grade most children can or should be able to do certain tasks on their own. If they cant, barring particular circumstances, frankly they aren't ready for main stream public school.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why did you not make the teachers aware of your daughters unique situation?
Of course your daughter is your first concern but teachers and administrators have many children they need to be concerned with. By first grade most children can or should be able to do certain tasks on their own. If they cant, barring particular circumstances, frankly they aren't ready for main stream public school.
First and foremost, "main stream public schools" is not about "being ready for". They have a legal obligation to educate all students and must adjust for children with individual/special needs.

And yes, I did make the teacher aware and she just judged and didn't listen. We spoke in person, I emailed and even paid $400 for the therapist to come meet with the teacher. She just dismissed it cause...welll everyone knows all about your kid besides the parent. Didn't you know that? *sarcasm* Don't worry, I am used to it outside the adoption community.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
[quote=HighFlyingBird;46712488]
Quote:
First and foremost, "main stream public schools" is not about "being ready for". They have a legal obligation to educate all students and must adjust for children with individual/special needs.
I have to disagree. Public school, although it has become that, is not a babysitter. As you said they have an obligation to educate students and in order to do that children need to be ready. Many schools do not accept children who can not preform certain tasks.
Special needs/handicapped children are an exception to main stream and there are usually special programs and trained personnel to accommodate special needs.

Quote:
And yes, I did make the teacher aware and she just judged and didn't listen. We spoke in person, I emailed and even paid $400 for the therapist to come meet with the teacher. She just dismissed it cause...welll everyone knows all about your kid besides the parent. Didn't you know that? *sarcasm* Don't worry, I am used to it outside the adoption community.

It wasnt apparent in you other post that the teacher was aware of your daughters emotional problems. Sounds like just a bad or burnt out teacher. Thankfully I have had very understanding and helpful teachers regarding my gsons situation. So far anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events