Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
false equivalency. an open ignition while not occupying the car is apparently against the law where this occurred. whether or not people have died is not the point.
Neither is the fact that you're still alive. But that's the standard you set so I'm just applying your own standard to the situation at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Makes one wonder why they sell cars with remote start.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Makes one wonder why they sell cars with remote start.
That's different since without the key, the person wouldn't be able to drive off with the car. My Dad recently got a new 2017 Santa FE Hyundai a few months back, and with a smartphone, we can remotely start the car (heat it up for a few minutes till we get in the car). However, there's no risk to someone jumping in and stealing since they couldn't drive off with it.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey
It was for his own good of course.
Anything for $$$$$$!!!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I have warmed my car up a few times over the years.

Several times just for myself when it was -10-15 degrees outside, once when it was probably about 10 degrees outside, for an old, sick cat that needed a trip to the vets......got it real toasty warm before I drove away that time. I would do the same for a very old or sick person.

I live in a semi-rural area, 100' wide lot, house and garage sit 120' from the road, no sidewalks.

Little chance of theft or a neighbor kid getting in the car, even so, I locked the car.....parked in my attached garage with the garage door and a back door open for ventilation.

And I will keep doing it as needed.....of course.....there is also little chance of a cop showing up either.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Everyone in my neighborhood does this all the time. It's nice to have the windows defrosted and the interior unfrozen.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Like I said in the other thread, it's illegal in most states.

Aside from the obvious that it could be stolen, neighborhood children could climb in and put it in gear (on purpose or not).
Where the hell is that illegal? Some place warm I'm assuming.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
false equivalency. an open ignition while not occupying the car is apparently against the law where this occurred. whether or not people have died is not the point.
If breathing was against the law, would you be behind the law? This is a stupid law that only seeks to generate revenue.

I'm 99.99% sure that police officer ALSO warmed up his car in his own driveway that morning. Did he give himself a ticket?

People who live there need to find out how much money this law makes, who is writing the tickets and GET IT CHANGED.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Seriously? Do you live in a winter area at all?

Here is my 11 year old grandson. Playing outside. On the trampoline. At -23. And loving it.

And his younger siblings? Well, 5 degrees are just about right to get away from screen time.

I honestly question if you are used to any real winter season with that bolded remark. My kids when they grew up were always outside, and obviously so are my grandkids. Quality winter clothing and a healthy attitude helps. 5 degrees dangerous when sitting in a car? Not even close.
To be fair, there is a huge difference between being outside bundled up and active in extreme cold and just sitting still in 5 degrees dressed for work.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:41 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That's different since without the key, the person wouldn't be able to drive off with the car. My Dad recently got a new 2017 Santa FE Hyundai a few months back, and with a smartphone, we can remotely start the car (heat it up for a few minutes till we get in the car). However, there's no risk to someone jumping in and stealing since they couldn't drive off with it.

Does the law, as written, make a distinction about a car, started with a key, idling with the doors unlocked, vs a car remote started without a key with locked doors, that will shut off if anyone tries to drive it?

If no, then the law needs to be amended to reflect changes in current technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events