Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think she meant no harm and no harm was taken...it wasn't belittling or insulting to anyone let alone insulting to "students"...she didn't create a media PR problem for her school district but rather the district created this fiasco by their knee jerk firing of her!!!
This version of the story is a bit different:

Frederick Co. Schools Employee Speaks Out After Being Fired For Tweet « CBS Baltimore

She was still on a "probationary" period since she was a recent hire, so the school district declined to extend her employment.

If you can't see her response as belittling, even if it was intended as lighthearted, then I would suggest you not pursue a career in public relations.

A response such as hers could be appropriate and funny in the right place. The official school district twitter account is not the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I didn't find her tone condescending, and even if it were, I say GOOD. I'm sick and tired of this sloppiness I see with people being lazy with their grammar and spelling. People, yes even students, should take spelling and grammar seriously and stop being so stinking lazy about it. "Your funny" and "the zoo had a fence for it's animals" "and "axe me how I feel," yuck. Good grief, your average 3rd grader should know better than that.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Looks like it was the right thing to do to axe her.
WHY??

It was stupid to fire her over something so bloody stupid!!

SO WHAT SHE CORRECTED SOMEONES SPELLING!!!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
WHY??

But that's not why she was fired.

The headline/thread title should read "Employee fired for blatantly ignoring employer's directive." But that doesn't garner nearly enough clicks and outrage.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
WHY??

Why?

Because it's not her job, and the way she did it was pedantic and unprofessional.

I could spend all day correcting spelling and grammar mistakes here on CD, including two in YOUR post, to make myself feel superior and insult others. But I don't because that's not my job here, and it's inappropriate.

The same thing applies in this situation. She made an unprofessional decision.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
WHY??

She was not fired for correcting someone's spelling.

They declined to hire her after her probationary period because she blatantly ignored instructions given to her.

It's really very simple.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Why?

Because it's not her job, and the way she did it was pedantic and unprofessional.

I could spend all day correcting spelling and grammar mistakes here on CD, including two in YOUR post, to make myself feel superior and insult others. But I don't because that's not my job here, and it's inappropriate.

The same thing applies in this situation. She made an unprofessional decision.
See, I disagree with that. I see nothing wrong with it. Why should a person stare right at the face of an obvious mistake but have to say nothing because it's "rude?" To me that's silly and a case of people being overly sensitive and needing to "grow a pair." People are so sensitive anymore, it's ridiculous. What else, should you say nothing to me if my fly is open or I have toilet paper on the bottom of my shoe that you can see from the 9th story of a skyscraper or I have a big booger dangling from my nose? Next time I see a woman with a big stain on the bottom of her jeans from where she sat in something and doesn't know, I guess I should just say noting and let her walk around like that all day because "that's not your job to say anything, who died and made you the fashion police?"

It's ok to correct someone, in a gentle way naturally, if they say "I like that singer Selena Gonzales" (should be Gomez) or they say "I like that actress Salma Gomez" (should be Salma Hayek) or if are an out-of-towner and they are visiting your hometown and they mispronounce the name of your city or the name of a given street or eatery. You are simply clarifying what is correct so they'll get it right the next time, it has NOTHING to do with being "pedantic" and it has nothing to do with "making yourself feel superior." You're simply letting the person know so they can get it right the next time, because most people who aren't a bunch of wimps crying about their feelings getting hurt over every silly thing take pride in getting such things right so they don't sound ignorant.

In my younger days, especially in a school setting (and this was school, if not the classroom), we were expected to get such things RIGHT and this was in the 80s when you didn't have spellcheck (it was just starting to show up on the very first word processing programs, we still had typing classes that utilized typewriters) and you had to get off your buns and pull the dictionary off the bookshelf and hunt down the words in there, and if you had typed the word incorrectly you had to use white-out or "Kor-Ec-Type" and fix it, even if it meant typing that entire page over again. If that's what it took you did it, or your paper was marked off for it, and you were called out on it by your teacher. Even if it was your classmate doing the assignment with you, they'd point the error out.

Now it's too much to do with computers doing all they do, when you can type the word in question in a new tab in your browser and have it perform a Google/Bing/Yahoo! search and it will suggest what it thought you meant and you can obtain the proper spelling that way, and where you will NEVER have to retype an entire page again to fix it?

Last edited by mjlo; 01-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
See, I disagree with that. I see nothing wrong with it. Why should a person stare right at the face of an obvious mistake but have to say nothing because it's "rude?" To me that's silly and a case of people being overly sensitive and needing to "grow a pair." People are so sensitive anymore, it's ridiculous. What else, should you say nothing to me if my fly is open or I have toilet paper on the bottom of my shoe that you can see from the 9th story of a skyscraper or I have a big booger dangling from my nose? Next time I see a woman with a big stain on the bottom of her jeans from where she sat in something and doesn't know, I guess I should just say noting and let her walk around like that all day because "that's not your job to say anything, who died and made you the fashion police?"

It's ok to correct someone, in a gentle way naturally, if they say "I like that singer Selena Gonzales" (should be Gomez) or they say "I like that actress Salma Gomez" (should be Salma Hayek) or if are an out-of-towner and they are visiting your hometown and they mispronounce the name of your city or the name of a given street or eatery. You are simply clarifying what is correct so they'll get it right the next time, it has NOTHING to do with being "pedantic" and it has nothing to do with "making yourself feel superior." You're simply letting the person know so they can get it right the next time, because most people who aren't a bunch of wimps crying about their feelings getting hurt over every silly thing take pride in getting such things right so they don't sound ignorant.

In my younger days, especially in a school setting (and this was school, if not the classroom), we were expected to get such things RIGHT and this was in the 80s when you didn't have spellcheck (it was just starting to show up on the very first word processing programs, we still had typing classes that utilized typewriters) and you had to get off your buns and pull the dictionary off the bookshelf and hunt down the words in there, and if you had typed the word incorrectly you had to use white-out or "Kor-Ec-Type" and fix it, even if it meant typing that entire page over again. If that's what it took you did it, or your paper was marked off for it, and you were called out on it by your teacher. Even if it was your classmate doing the assignment with you, they'd point the error out.

Now it's too much to do with computers doing all they do, when you can type the word in question in a new tab in your browser and have it do a Google/Bing/Yahoo! search and it will suggest what it thought you meant and you can obtain the proper spelling that way, and where you will NEVER have to retype an entire page again to fix it?
None of that applies. It's not even close to the same situation.

She was not a teacher, and her tone was condescending, which is inappropriate for a professional social media account.

Last edited by mjlo; 01-19-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This has nothing to do with education or spelling.

It was not harmless. A representative of the school district was belittling and insulting students at that district. Anytime she posted something from the school district's account, she was representing that organization and anything that she said or any tone that she took would reflect on the organization as a whole.
Exactly how was she belittling and insulting? I would think the district wants its students to become proficient spellers?

(Must be h*ll in those FCPS classrooms!)

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So she addressed the misspelling.

Tone/inflection is difficult to master. So a reader inferred it into the sentence.

To be fired for " not complying " , good on her. She didn't make slurs... she did as most adults do...
Corrected an obvious error and didn't allow a boss to silence her.

Never understood the term.. your not listening! Well clearly I am listening ...I am just not complying to your demands. Ask though and it will be considered.. demand and all bets are off.
You're
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events