Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Yes, they work hard, are honest. There are many related Mennonite branches of which the Amish are a part, who have slightly varying differences about newer technology.

As to going out of the way, if they shovel or broom the turd when it falls, that should be enough. Diapers are not sanitary for a horse or for people. The quantity of turd is large due to their remnant digestive system.
You just proved you really know nothing about the Amish...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Unless I missed it, there doesn't appear to be a link to any story about this particular issue. I wasn't able to access the WSJ article but there are other articles about it including this one: Amish in Kentucky challenge mandate that horses wear poop bags - The Portland Press Herald

As you can see, the headline about horse poop bags being against Amish religious beliefs is misleading. The Amish are afraid that the poop bags will "frighten" the horses.

According to the link in the following article, the problem with poop bags is that when they are filled, they pull on the horses' harnesses which causes them discomfort. The Amish don't use their horses solely for pleasure riding. That may be what the reference to them being afraid that the bags will "frighten" the horses refers to. UPDATE: LaGrange County horse manure bags voted down

Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Are Mennonites like the Amish? Do they believe in nothing more than an eighth grade education? Do they damage their kids to to the point where they aren't educated to do anything other than live on a farm?

One thing that really turns me off about these groups is that their closed nature makes them ideal places for wife abusers and child abusers to hide. The community doesn't want "outsiders" from DFS hanging around and "pestering them". Some people see this nineteenth century lifestyle as rural and idyllic. The truth is that its a hard way to live and many inside the groups lack true choice because of their lack of education (perpetuated by ignorant parents) and the insular nature of the groups.

I'm not saying they should be broken up.

I am saying people like you ought to stop looking at them through rose colored classes.
They are similar. An off shoot I believe. Their tenants seem to be less strict than the Amish but they live in semi closed communities.
They home school or have their own schools. I don't know the specifics on how they educate but they aren't uneducated by any means. I have known several of the community that have chosen to leave. Some have been thrown out of the community because they did not adhere to all the rules. They may not have a billion elective classes but IMO they have a stronger basic foundation. No different that home schooling. One thing I dont see is those living outside the community (or inside) living off government assistance. They manage gainful employment and own successful businesses.

And face it domestic and child abuse occurs in every cranny of our society, every culture, every race, every socioeconomic level. And who does want DFS hanging around pestering them.[/quote]

Mennonites and Amish are two separate groups, with similar roots, but with different ways of living. Mennonites are far less conservative than Amish - they may own and drive cars, use electricity, have telephones and often send their kids to college. Amish do few of these things, if any, but sometimes use neighbors' phones or phone booths (if they can be found), hitch rides in neighbors' cars, etc.

Both groups dress conservatively - ladies cover their heads with prayer caps - but Amish traditional dress is far more restrictive and old-fashioned and easily recognized (solid colors, long hair hidden beneath prayer caps, suspenders on men and boys, round haircuts on males, beards but no mustaches on married men, in the most strict sects, no buttons, whereas Mennonite clothing may be plaid or flowered or striped, dresses are modest but not ankle-length, buttons are okay, etc.). Mennonites often go on family vacations, use cameras, may even have Facebook pages, and are far less unworldly than are the Amish.

Many Amish families encourage their older teens to check out the pleasures of the outside world during "Rumspringa" - look it up. They are free to choose their path, but if they remain Amish, they must then abide by this denomination's teachings.

As for horse-drawn vehicles on state and county roads, such highways are not necessarily lightly traveled at all, especially in rural areas. They are more likely to be the only options for travel, with no Interstates nearby. Horse-drawn vehicles are legally restricted from traveling on Interstates, anyway - not so on most state and county highways. Speed limits on such roads are usually 55 mph, and the roads may be curvy, with limited views of the road ahead and substantial local and perhaps passing-through traffic.

It is not reasonable or safe to expect buggy drivers to stop and pick up horse droppings on such roads - it is quite reasonable to require catch-bags to be attached to the horses in a way which does not harm or impede them, just as it is in the public interest to require orange triangles indicating slow-moving vehicles and rear-view reflectors and lights on buggies. The Amish initially fought those, too - but lost.

You can see such bags on carriage horses which provide horse-drawn tours of many cities, particularly those with historic areas. The horses do not object or seem bothered at all by them, and they do help keep the streets clean and clear of an unsightly health hazard. I see no religious significance to such devices whatsoever.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You just proved you really know nothing about the Amish...
Guess the shed they built on my property was erected by Amish impostors.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If what you say is true, I wonder why they don't go after the law as unfounded and unnecessary, rather than claiming horse diapers violate their religious beliefs. That is the puzzling reason I started this thread.
The Amish try to avoid conflict and as a rule don't get involved with the legal system. My guess is that they went to a lawyer to ask for help and this is what he came up with that was acceptable to them.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
What's next, bird diapers?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What's next, bird diapers?
FlightSuits

I have visions of pesky geese wearing these. Their poop makes an awful mess.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If you have to walk along city streets than it is a big deal. In fact, only a horse owner would probably try to laugh it off. More importantly, I can also see some health issues. The manure attracts flies. Flies spread disease. In addition, the smell is something that people who aren't fond of livestock usually try to avoid.

What we really have here is a group that wants to live a very traditional lifestyle. Yet, they insist on living among a huge population that does not share their values. Everyone is entitled to maintain their own religious practices and worship customs. However, every single action a person takes in life should not be defined as a religious practice or custom. When their very lifestyle brings them into conflict with the rest of us though than something has to give. There are public policy reasons for this law. The rights of the Amish to drive a buggy down the street without a diaper for their horses should give way to the rights of the rest of us to be healthy and not have to constantly step in horse manure. I would say it is damned inconsiderate on the part of the Amish to not take into account the belief system of other groups. It makes me think less of theirs.
I've never heard that said before, but I think it's a very good point.

Maybe this is just my imagination or myth, but I have the impression that the Amish are -- as a group -- quite stubborn.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is no constitutional right to have a horse defecate on the public highways or roads. Preach to me about "religious freedom". Any sane person realizes you can't claim everything you do is a religious practice that is protected by the First Amendment.

Legislative bodies and city councils have police powers. These are powers that government has to protect the health, the welfare, and the safety of members of a community. Courts generally don't apply a high degree of scrutiny to their actions. In other words, if a city council says that horse manure on the highways is a health hazard to the community if some evidence can be shown that agrees with that than the council its within its rights passing a law requiring horses on those roads to wear a diaper. The problem with Amish is that they could rectify this problem in a fairly easy manner. Yet, instead of doing so, they expect the rest of us to tolerate their actions.

Your example about dogs is not appropriate. Dogs don't continually travel up and down the highways excreting literally tons of waste. Most dogs do most of their excreting in private yards. Owners that take them for walks in the parks are required to clean up after them.

In any event, you don't get to say "well instead of dealing with this problem, worry about this one instead.". It doesn't work like that. Two wrongs don't make a right.

How about someone telling the Amish for once that they have to conform their conduct to the rules of the modern world?

Are Mennonites like the Amish? Do they believe in nothing more than an eighth grade education? Do they damage their kids to to the point where they aren't educated to do anything other than live on a farm?

One thing that really turns me off about these groups is that their closed nature makes them ideal places for wife abusers and child abusers to hide. The community doesn't want "outsiders" from DFS hanging around and "pestering them". Some people see this nineteenth century lifestyle as rural and idyllic. The truth is that its a hard way to live and many inside the groups lack true choice because of their lack of education (perpetuated by ignorant parents) and the insular nature of the groups.

I'm not saying they should be broken up.

I am saying people like you ought to stop looking at them through rose colored classes.
I've never seen so much horse poop in one post in my life.

Have you ever even seen a Mennonite/Amish? It's obvious you know nothing about them.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
The Mafia does not approve of this..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events