Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wondering how many people who think it's ok to frequently be on the phone while greeting their child would behave in the same manner to their parents, partners, bosses, etc. It sends a signal that what you are doing on your phone is more important than acknowledging that person in front of you. If it's inconsiderate to do it to others it's also wrong to do it to your child.
It's obvious from some of the reactions that some people think they are important and CANNOT be without their phone. I wonder how they will react when they get older and their kids, that are now grownups, find them a distraction. Kharma.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wondering how many people who think it's ok to frequently be on the phone while greeting their child would behave in the same manner to their parents, partners, bosses, etc. It sends a signal that what you are doing on your phone is more important than acknowledging that person in front of you. If it's inconsiderate to do it to others it's also wrong to do it to your child.
That's beside the point, the point is that it is nobody's business in the daycare to say anything and sure as heck to not post a sign about it. There are things I've thought all day long about customers but I always knew (most times anyway) that whatever I thought of their particular choices and non-confrontational behavior to nonetheless keep my opinions to myself. If I wanted to talk about it to my co-workers once they were gone then OK, commiserate about your day that way all you want, but to preach to the customer themselves is totally unacceptable. The same thing applies here.

Yes other people support the sign, but that's because they feel that way about those matters even though it is also none of their business and because it's become a fad of sorts to bash phone people who are doing nothing to anybody, not just the loud-mouths or the distracted drivers or the workers loafing on the job. If a McDonald's worker was preaching to a family about how they ought to be cooking something at home or if a place selling baby supplies came out against baby slings because they thought the mothers were being too "attach-based" or for the opposite reason of "you shouldn't need a sling you should hold the baby in your arms," the response would be different even though it's the exact same thing. It's condescending, it's ugly, it's judgmental, it's just plain none of their flipping business.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's beside the point, the point is that it is nobody's business in the daycare to say anything and sure as heck to not post a sign about it. There are things I've thought all day long about customers but I always knew (most times anyway) that whatever I thought of their particular choices and non-confrontational behavior to nonetheless keep my opinions to myself. If I wanted to talk about it to my co-workers once they were gone then OK, commiserate about your day that way all you want, but to preach to the customer themselves is totally unacceptable. The same thing applies here.

Yes other people support the sign, but that's because they feel that way about those matters even though it is also none of their business and because it's become a fad of sorts to bash phone people who are doing nothing to anybody, not just the loud-mouths or the distracted drivers or the workers loafing on the job. If a McDonald's worker was preaching to a family about how they ought to be cooking something at home or if a place selling baby supplies came out against baby slings because they thought the mothers were being too "attach-based" or for the opposite reason of "you shouldn't need a sling you should hold the baby in your arms," the response would be different even though it's the exact same thing. It's condescending, it's ugly, it's judgmental, it's just plain none of their flipping business.
The daycare is not advocating that parents stop using a service or product they offer, as in your scenarios.
And yes, businesses are allowed to decide for themselves what is unacceptable behavior on the part of their customers (within the law). I agree that the sign was not worded well, but the decision to post the sign was perfectly within the rights of the business owner.
We do tell our customers when their behavior is unacceptable, even to the point of telling them they need to take their business elsewhere. People need to get over the idea that they can do as they darn well please and that it is never anyone else's business. If your actions affect others then it is their business.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
So, in light of my post I just made about the bakery, I'll say this about being on the phone while picking the kid up:

If that means interacting with the staff (which I can believe it does), then the parent shouldn't be on the phone if at all possible. It is disrespectful.

However, that sign as it is worded is rude.

I think AlmostSeniorNJ hit the crux of the matter.
The sign as worded is rude.
No one would tolerate being spoken to that way in person, so why put it on a sign?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
The school is very unwise for putting that sign up. Is the parent paying for daycare for their child or for lessons in parenting? I don't see how it is any business of the daycare as long as the child is picked up.

My guess is some young daycare worker with an inflated ego who is in their first job after taking some early childcare classes at community college who thinks she knows everything and may not even have kids put the sign up.

That said, a parent shouldn't spend all their time on the phone, but these day care workers only see the 2 minutes or so when the kid is picked up. They don't see the quality of the parenting every other time.

Trust me, I see the evil of cell phones, but they appear inevitable these days.
It's their business if a parent who picks up their child and isn't paying attention and the child runs out in front of a car or gets injured.

You see the idea is that when the parent picks the child up the responsibility is now on the parent and not the daycare worker. Kind of hard to do if your more focused on your phone than your child.

BTW, it was the owner who did this not a young daycare worker with a big ego.

She did it for two reasons, one of them is liability.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 PM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
While I agree with the sentiment of the sign, if I were a parent at that daycare, I wouldn't appreciate paying them an exorbitant amount of money only to get lectured. When the school ponys up for the phone bill, they can decide how and when it gets used.
No, but if you saw a cop standing there, you'd put away your phone and hope you did not get a ticket.
Far too many people will do the right thing when faced with potential consequences or unpleasant outcomes. Yet if they feel empowered, they will rail against society and act like a rebel without a cause.

Phone/texting zombies are everywhere now days, and creating not only a danger to themselves, but to other innocent people who get harmed by them.
I don't care how much you are paying a school, right is right and wrong is wrong. If they are rightly pointing out that your focus should be on your children rather than your addiction to your smartphone, you should realize the errors of your bad habit, and get your priorities in order!

Old 02-11-2017, 08:03 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I think AlmostSeniorNJ hit the crux of the matter.
The sign as worded is rude.
No one would tolerate being spoken to that way in person, so why put it on a sign?
Exactly and also because it's not any of their business, even the person who owns the place and can legally demand whatever, it STILL isn't their business ANYWAY. All they're doing is participating in a fad and jumping on the anti cell phone bandwagon, a group of people who thinks it's their business to judge and criticize someone for being on a phone just because THEY think things like "we used to get along fine without cell phones in the 80s." There are an awful lot of idiots on that bandwagon these days.

There is no safely issue here, no loudness (the place is already noisy on account of kids anyway) so they're out of line, it's none of their business, not even the owner thinking because they own the place they can do whatever they want it's STILL none of their business ANYWAY.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Whether the parents are on the phone for work-related issues or something else important, when they pick them up from daycare, they should at LEAST greet their child and give them just FIVE OR TEN minutes TOTALLY devoted to their child (unless it's a rare emergency call). Out of 24 hours, 10 minutes is a drop in a hat and SO important to show love to your child.

What kind of example does this set by ignoring their child?

The Cat's in the Cradle Song is exactly what happens. (dad doesn't have time, son grows up and doesn't have time for dad)

Re post # 137 (shyguylh) Quote "All they're doing is participating in a fad and jumping on the anti cell phone bandwagon"

It's pretty sad that you call this a "fad". This is REAL lives we're talking about and a TOTALLY important part of a child's family life. It might be none of their business to post signs, but they see the downfallen faces every day of disappointed children who crave their parent's attention after being with non-family members all day. It HAS to be hard to watch.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 PM

123 posts, read 138,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This is a good point. Not only are you not paying attention to your child, you are also not paying attention to the person or people who have cared for your child all day and may have things to tell you about what kind of day your child had, how they behaved, whether or not they ate, slept, etc. No reason not to wrap up your call before picking up your child. It's hardly a time to be multitasking.
Right, I knew instantly the sign was because the moms come inside the building talking on the phone not when they was leaving with the child.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:37 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been said but I have seen a sign in several stores that says "We will be happy to assist you when you are finished with your phone call."I don't find it offensive, it is worded much nicer that the daycare sign but I think both are reasonable request.

Where is common sense these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events