Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't agree with the manner in which they handled it. There are better ways to get the point across without lecturing the people who are paying you an arm and a leg. I'd be taking my kid and my money elsewhere.
They are probably fed up that they even need to mention it. You would think that people paying an arm and a leg for day care would be the people who want the best for their kids, meaning quality. Including spending a few distraction free minutes of quality time with their kids when they see them after an eight or nine hour separation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
I was in a food court a few years ago and some guy was with his 4 year old son, who was excited about something saying "Dad, look at me!" several times in a row, but Dad just stared at his phone.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I'm a very imperfect parent but I could no more juggle the phone while picking up kids than I could grow an extra arm.

And I really need an extra arm.

Maybe it's because I've been parenting since WAY pre-cell phone; I've had at least one in daycare/school since 1987 & I still have 3 in k-12.

I don't even get out of the car until I'm off the phone ... I want to be able to touch base with teachers & it's just too noisy anyway. I have twin girls that started talking early (12 months)... they are 15 now & I'm not sure if they have ever stopped talking yet.

They LOVE school & always have & have so much to tell me, it was a constant "Mom, mom, mom, mom ..."

Even at home, no matter how many times I would say "I AM ON THE PHONE. Do NOT interrupt me", I get an "Oops. Sorry!" Then 5 seconds later:"Mom, mom, mom, mom ..."

It's not even worth it to try, nothing & nobody will ever out-talk those two ... the phone can wait. Or maybe I just have a one-track mind or I'm too old or something.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
What they said is absolutely true, but it's not their place to say it.

Very condescending, very inappropriate, and a clear attempt to subvert the authority of the parents.

Well, obviously someone has to say it. I worry about the generation of parents that thinks everything is a sword to fall on.

I can remember years ago when people would post "Have you hugged your kid today" LOL.....I can't recall ever feeling it was an attempt to subvert my authority.

Their business, they can post a sign like this. Only the guilty would be feeling subverted. This isn't about the phone. It is about the children.

These providers care for these children. Think about it. Would you want these providers on the phone when they are supposed to be watching your child?

I have seen this too. Shopping, driving, people seem oblivious at times and any parent knows little ones need watching....not ignoring.

Put the da-n phone away and hug your kid.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:23 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
Here's the basic problem ... the daycare workers are passing judgement on the parents based on the FIVE MINUTES A DAY that they see them. They have no idea what the parent/child interaction is like at home ... where it counts the most. For all they know, the parent is trying to get a few calls out of the way so that once they're home, they can turn off the phone and focus on their child.

It's absolutely disingenuous for anyone to suggest that they ALWAYS give their child their complete and undivided attention whenever they demand it.
I think you're right. I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment of the sign, we should all probably spend less time on our phones, but I don't think it's appropriate for a daycare to post it. There could be any number legitimate reasons a parent is taking a call while picking up their child. Either way, it's not the place of a daycare to lecture their customers on how they should interact with their children.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:24 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
Quote:
Obviously, the parents have to work or the child wouldn't be in daycare.
My niece works at a church daycare. There is one mother out of the entire class who is employed. I asked her what they do with their babies in school from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oh, they work out at the gym, go shopping, take some "me" time...and they also have housekeepers.

Sometimes I wonder why people bother to even get up anymore.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:23 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
If it's for work and you're techinically still on the clock but taking the call on your cellphone so that you can sneak out a little early to spring your child from daycare sooner, then yes, it's more important. The alternative would be staying in the office and letting the child wait longer.
I think, in a child's mind, an enthusiastic greeting from Mommy or Daddy at pick-up time, even if it's 10 or 15 minutes later, is better than the parent leaving work early, only to send the message that the seeing the child is unimportant.

Heck, I can relate to those children. It's like when my husband has been on a business trip, and I'm so excited to see him when he comes through the door. But sometimes he's on his phone at that moment. Of course, I'm an adult, and I get it, but I just want to give him hugs and kisses and hear about his day and give each other our undivided attention for a few minutes.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
My niece works at a church daycare. There is one mother out of the entire class who is employed. I asked her what they do with their babies in school from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oh, they work out at the gym, go shopping, take some "me" time...and they also have housekeepers.

Sometimes I wonder why people bother to even get up anymore.
Yep. My fav is that they call it "school".

Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Obviously, the parents have to work or the child wouldn't be in daycare.

Your missing my point your child hasn't seen you in eight hours they want to see YOU not you attached to your cellphone. Finish your call in the car BEFORE you walk in. Your children come first.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 AM

163 posts, read 138,174 times
Quote:
While I agree with the sentiment of the sign, if I were a parent at that daycare, I wouldn't appreciate paying them an exorbitant amount of money only to get lectured. When the school ponys up for the phone bill, they can decide how and when it gets used.
I agree, I wouldn't like seeing the sign if I'm a parent. I'm not observing the behavior in question, but being on the phone once in a while when you first see your child isn't the worst thing in the world to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events