Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Sorry, but I actually know all about this and it's not good. They pay these people less than minimum wage because of a loophole in the law that allows them to do so. Some earn as low as twenty-five cents an hour working for Goodwill! Most of their disabled workers are socially isolated and have few, if any, family to advocate for them, in this "job training" program. It is legal exploitation.
So legal? Yes. Ethical? No.

Nice try, I've done my research on Goodwill.
Maybe you've done your research, but you didn't present all of the facts.

According to this article, the "low pay" isn't what it looks like. Some of the disabled people working there have to stop working before their shift is over, and wait for their case worker or whoever to come pick them up, but meanwhile Goodwill is required to count all of the time. So if someone does one hour of work, then stops, that one hour's pay is divided by 8, for example. Also, some of these people are so disabled as to barely be able to do any work, and their pay is pro-rated to account for that.

I guess I agree that if they're going to employ people, just pay them prevailing wages and don't use the loopholes to weasel out of it. But, if they do that, a whole bunch of disabled folks will lose their jobs. Congratulations, you just put a bunch of marginal people out of work.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:21 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Maybe you've done your research, but you didn't present all of the facts.

According to this article, the "low pay" isn't what it looks like. Some of the disabled people working there have to stop working before their shift is over, and wait for their case worker or whoever to come pick them up, but meanwhile Goodwill is required to count all of the time. So if someone does one hour of work, then stops, that one hour's pay is divided by 8, for example. Also, some of these people are so disabled as to barely be able to do any work, and their pay is pro-rated to account for that.

I guess I agree that if they're going to employ people, just pay them prevailing wages and don't use the loopholes to weasel out of it. But, if they do that, a whole bunch of disabled folks will lose their jobs. Congratulations, you just put a bunch of marginal people out of work.
Honestly, they would be better off not working, than working for such incredibly low wages. Their bus fare often costs more than what they earn in one shift.
The amount they earn at their Good will job is not even good for pocket money, much less a living wage.

The sad reason that many of them continue, is that it helps their self esteem to feel they are employed and doing something.

I had a relative who did what the call a "created job", he packed lightbulbs in boxes, was very good at it, had Down Syndrome and he earned so little it wound up being a waste of his time. The foster home where he lived made him turn over his money to them.

These people get exploited like crazy and there is often nobody around to advocate for them.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
If she was stealing, like it appears she was, do you still think her family should sue?
They will probably sue. They said in one news article that she was donating to the box and that she loved these donation boxes.

I don't know if there is any concrete proof she was stealing so any lawsuit would probably hinge on that - whether or not there is proof.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
omg, what a freak accident indeed, sad it happened at such an odd hour so no one noticed.

Pennsylvania woman dies with arm trapped in donation bin - BBC News
Being a cheapskate can kill you ... The original story is that she was previously reported for being in one in the middle of the night.
Sounds like she was taking, not giving, being as clothes and shoes were found on the ground outside the box.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
well hopefully her people sue , I know suing a charity is not cool, but it appears they could have prevented this by having a safe design. And if it is not the first time well they were grossly negligent .

I have owned two companies we did costly and difficult testing to make sure we did not endanger our customers, and if we did we would have been sued into the dirt and rightly so.
Yes those rotten guys should make their boxes safe to steal from without getting hurt.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I wouldn't take a Hummer from you if you gave me one with a clean title. Even with gas at $2.60/gal. for Regular Unleaded, you are looking at $200 to fill it up and you will fill it up often if you drive further than to the end of your driveway. No wonder she was stealing clothes out of a Donations box...
$2.60??!!! Errrp. They just announced today we will be under $2.00 shortly. glad to not be from Oregon. Those things have a 77+ gallon gas tank!!!. Wow. I thought my truck was bad at 30 gallons. I also did not realize those things got that bad of mileage. I thought they were about the same as a truck (15-18). I have to fill up about once a week and that is annoying enough. Filling a 77 gallon tank every day would make me nuts. Spend all day at the gas station. Some of those pumps are really slow, especially in winter.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 PM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes those rotten guys should make their boxes safe to steal from without getting hurt.
Alternative: They should make the boxes theft-proof and less likely to cause death.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:42 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Well she must have been pretty desperate to need old clothes.. have a heart.
Sell the Hummer and buy a smaller cheaper car.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM

I don't think those donation boxes should be put out anyway. Wild animals often get inside them and there are a host of other issues. And they are magnets for theft, as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I don't see the customer when I put things in a consignment sale, therefore, I do not have to haggle with them and they are required to pay the price or not purchase the item. Consignment sales don't allow haggling (or at least the ones I sell at don't). Garage sales are different story.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. (Sorry.) Of course, I know the difference in the two types of sales, but what I meant was why is one better than the other in the mind of "busybodies" who would criticize someone for trying to get some extra money for reselling older things no longer usable to them that they already paid for or were given as gifts.

I just don't see why one way is more ethical or "better" than the other, except as you pointed out, consignment sales are less hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events