Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Jack Nicklaus Says He 'Feels Bad' for Tiger Woods After DUI Arrest | Bleacher Report

Yeah Jack...Tiger is worth about $740 million...he doesn't need my help.
What's there to feel bad about? Tiger is an adult. He's responsible for his own choices. He looks all strung out in his mug shot. There's no excuse. None. And no sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Maybe if he was suffering a low blood sugar episode it would be an excuse.
Except he said he was taking meds. I suffer from low blood sugar attacks and the last thing I would do is get into my car!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:50 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
What separates Tiger from becoming a broke athlete like Alan Iverson, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield........ just a little more time!

Old 05-31-2017, 03:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Would you feel the same if it were a prescription for medical marijuana? Thought so.
There's a reason the label says "Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using this medication" If you're using drugs that may black you out or impair you're judgement to that degree, it's your responsibly to insure you're not put in a position to get yourself or others in harms way. Lock up the car keys. This isn't his first rodeo, remember he's already smacked a car into a fire hydrant with the same excuse. Again, it's not like the man didn't have the means to find alternative transportation, particularly since the trip appeared to be to and from from his club. Was the trip that important?
I agree here. And its not just the people who had 'just a little' weed were too stressed for one magic pill. It's those who are too sleepy to drive, who can't find their glasses or their contacts ran out and drive when they can't see too. A car is a heavy, dangerous thing and you need to be fully aware and able to percieve your landscape in front of you to safely drive.

In this case, the drug clearly says do not drive. It would have been the same with me if knowing that I can't tell true distance because of focusing problems, I misgaged a stop and ran the car into another one. I've taken ambien too, and would wake up sitting on the chair with the tv still on mid day dressed to go out wake up without remembering going to sleep.

If I know that I can fall asleep just like that, then the LAST place I should want to be is driving. If I wake up sitting in the car somewhere asleep, and don't know how I got there, then give the key's to a keeper and make sure I do this with all copies.

I also think doctors who just let the bottle get refilled without speaking to the patient and asking the really important questions are also partially at fault. The ambien I took was ten years ago, and it was a warning then. I'd even go so far as to say most psych drugs should be evaluated for attention risks. Its not the only one who does and when I was using several others, there was never a warning not to drive.

Most of all, we need to quit looking at perscription drugs as magic candy we use for an instant fix. This is especially true of medications for mood and mood stability, often just assumed they work because the patient made it to the appointment and no time to actually talk about how they are.

The bottom line with cars should be does this person have sufficent awareness, have sufficent reaction time, and a clear enough mind to be controlling a potential weapon. Regardless of why.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:02 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What separates Tiger from becoming a broke athlete like Alan Iverson, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield........ just a little more time!
and a few lawsuits...

Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he took a medication and it had crazy bad side effects. It does not say on the bottle to hide your keys, have a baby sitter, etc. If you are having a bad reaction to the medication, you don't go check the bottle. Maybe you think you are dreaming and in your dream, you decide to go for a drive.

I don't see how people don't get that.

But I don't know if this is true for him. I just think we don't have all the facts. And I don't give two craps about golf.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 PM

119 posts, read 104,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I really don't care...but it did make me think of what happened to me when I took my pain medicine and an Ambien after surgery. I am very lucky I didn't try to drive. But I did hours of activities with 0 memory. If he had something similar, I cant fault him.
I used to work with someone who picked up his Ambien prescription, got in the car, took 1 or 2 Ambien, proceeded to drive home. He killed a dad changing a tire in the breakdown lane of the highway - in front of the victim's wife and young son. The driver did get off by saying he didn't realize Ambien could make you sleep drive, but that was many years ago. Hide the keys if you have to before you take such medicine?

Old 05-31-2017, 05:34 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Default The

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda333 View Post
I used to work with someone who picked up his Ambien prescription, got in the car, took 1 or 2 Ambien, proceeded to drive home. He killed a dad changing a tire in the breakdown lane of the highway - in front of the victim's wife and young son. The driver did get off by saying he didn't realize Ambien could make you sleep drive, but that was many years ago. Hide the keys if you have to before you take such medicine?
Yup. Taking too much prescription medicine, or two different medicines can have exactly the same effects as alcohol.

Tiger has only played 7 rounds of golf this year. The guy is in very poor physical condition, but he still has some of his old drive to be the best. But when a person's back goes, it won't ever come back 100%.

That's caused lots of professionals in sports to make some very bad decisions. The body gives out long before the will goes, especially when a pro was once the best in the world.

Tiger is only 41 years old. The age when most guys are just reaching the peak of their careers, and golf is the only thing he knows and loves. Hanging it up so young is always hard, and for a competitive person, money doesn't buy happiness.

I feel sorry for him, and hope he finds a way to re-define the second half of his life. He could still do a lot for the sport he loves so much, even if he can't compete it in any longer.

It's one of those sports that needs to attract kids like he was when he started out. If he was to start some kid's golf camps, I think it could be very good for him.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
He's looking a little rough. That's what's you get for not using a designated driver.
I see what you did there!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:48 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Money doesn't buy happiness. Some people have empathy and compassion for others, it's OK if you don't though. Different strokes for different folks.
I do have empathy and compassion. I just watched the videos of the traffic stop, and I think those policemen were very unfair to him...making him walk the white line in that condition with no net!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events