Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would a 2-year-old be able to get out of a locked car? Even if the keys were in the car, like she said, how would a 2-year-old figure out how that worked? Would a 2-year old even be able to push a car door open?
They couldn't, and she knows that.

Again, read the article. She changed her story several times.

Ridiculous to call her stupid or a moron. This was done on purpose.

This is pure evil, her mug shot shows dead eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Or how about this........

Mummy puts her purse in the back seat .?

No woman that I know of can go more than 10 feet away from her purse. Ever.

Need purse, see child in back seat, remove both......

A second stupidity that happens " all the time ".

I just went into the store for a minute.......and car thief takes car with kid in it ..... due to keys left in ignition switch.

Here in Ontario.....car stolen with keys in it ?Car insurance coverage will be denied , and Police MAY issue an offence notice.

Jim B.
If she forgets a human being, a purse will also be forgotten.

Auto makers have considered sensors but imagine the liability...

"It's Ford's fault my kid died!" Ugh.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post

Mummy puts her purse in the back seat .?

This is always what I did when my kids were infants and toddlers. If you do it all the time, it becomes part of your routine, so you are much less likely to deviate from it, and often, these incidents occur because someone deviated from their routine (i.e. the other parent taking a child to daycare, someone going somewhere they usually don't etc).

Now, in the case of this incident, it was an intentional criminal act, and sadly, it's not the first time that's happened. I'm sure many people recall the Father from GA who was convicted of murder last year for a similar crime.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
There's a big difference between this sort of thing versus letting them stay in the car for 1-2 minutes while you pay for gas, especially if it's not hot and/or it's raining. The latter I've done it numerous times, my kids now are 8 & 10 and get let themselves out but I'd do it again if they were 1 & 3, in a minute.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Not to mention pets left in hot cars, too. This issue gets lots of publicity every summer. What is wrong with people that they keep doing this?
Just the other day, on Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains someone was leaving a dog in his car. I didn't think the window was cracked open enough. Until I saw that he put only 15 minutes into the parking meter I was going to call the police and have them break the car windows.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
Oregon just passed a law where it's legal to break the window and remove the child or pet if you think their lives are in danger.

But you have to call a cop first and wait until they get there after you break the window.

Portland woman breaks into stranger's Mercedes to save dog | OregonLive.com

Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM

70 posts, read 86,903 times
If people put their phones next to their children it would eliminate two potential problems. It would prohibit them from texting while driving and hopefully serve as a reminder that something much more precious than their phone is in the the back seat.

On a different note, what struck me about the woman's mugshot was that she looks more annoyed than remorseful.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Oregon just passed a law where it's legal to break the window and remove the child or pet if you think their lives are in danger.

But you have to call a cop first and wait until they get there after you break the window.

Well good for Oregon, but you don't wait for a law or a cop if you see this going on.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:38 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Not to mention pets left in hot cars, too. This issue gets lots of publicity every summer. What is wrong with people that they keep doing this?

These people are probably all on drugs of some sort and their attention spans are shot. Fortunately, Oregon just enacted a law that absolves people from all criminal and financial responsibility, who break open cars, to rescue children and pets.

Years ago, I found a closed-up car in the sun, that had a small dog inside, that was in great distress. It was on a university campus, so I called the Security Office over a nearby emergency call-box. They said they'd send someone. Ten minutes later, a hugely obese security officer came down the street eating a large ice-cream cone. She walked slowly enough, so she had it finished by the time she got there.

I pointed out the dog, which by then, was collapsed on the floorboards and gasping. She said there was nothing that she could do. Then, an armed city police officer came. I told him I was going to use a large rock to break a window. He said he would arrest and cuff me if I tried, for attempted vandalism.

After several more minutes, the woman who owned the car and was a professor at the school, showed up. I think the dog was dead, as it showed no signs of life, when she opened the door. She looked at me and told me to "Get the hell away from my car!". She was allowed to leave and no action was taken against her. The protection of the car was the police's priority, the dog was not.

it's troubling to think what they'd have done, if a child, rather than a dog, was in the car. Actually, if so, I would have broken a window, before even calling anyone. I realized later, that's what I should have done for the dog, but I thought that calling security would produce an immediate and positive response, as they were located just half a block away. If you're capable, the best action to take in such situations, is to do it yourself and not waste time, trying to enlist help from apathetic government employees. By calling them, instead of acting directly, I ensured the dog's demise. They presided over its death and blocked me from doing anything about it.

But the college security office put me on its list of potentially dangerous persons and often harassed me, because of this incident. I spent every afternoon on campus, as a volunteer instructor, in Adaptive PE classes for disabled students. The PE Department wanted to appoint me to a graduate teaching fellowship, the next year, as I'd done well in my volunteer work. But this was sabotaged, because of my "record" with the Security Office. The dog died a horrible death and my whole life was changed, because of this incident.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Ohio put a similar law on the books last year. It's already saved the lives of some dogs left in cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events