Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

OMG! Sun poisoning and skin cancer are awful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
"Sunscreen" didn't exist for millions and millions of years, yet we are still here, let that sink in for a moment.

I'm skeptical of putting any artificial/man-made/unnatural chemicals into or onto my body, i take the approach of "just leave it alone". Just be sensible is all, moderation like with anything else. Personally? Nothing gives me a mood-boost like a brisk 30 min morning walk through the park on a sunny day, i always feel better after and it really clears my mind I think a part of our biology actually needs some sun exposure, i know i do, nothing depresses me more than a gray, gloomy overcast sky - sunlight has a noticeable (positive) impact on my mood.

It's interesting that most skin cancer patients are not who you would expect (outdoor workers, landscapers, etc) but rather the indoor white-collar type workers that rarely go outside or get any sun exposure. That's what i find strange, you would expect it to be the other way around.
Except that when you look at all types of skin cancer and not just a specific form of melanoma it has a higher incidence in those who work out doors, I.e. Miners, masons, construction workers and farmers. Occupation and skin cancer: the results of the HELIOS-I multicenter case-control study | BMC Public Health | Full Text

Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
I wear SPF clothing here in FL.

Usually Coolibar. They even have swimwear for adults and babies. My dermatologist told me about it years ago when I had a basal cell under my eye. She won't even dive or anything without it.

Once I took a ride west at 6PM sightseeing in my car with tinted windows. My chest got sunburned in one hour! So I'm all about the Coolibar.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
From someone who has worked outside for 8 hours a day every day, I always tell people they NEED to wear sunscreen and reapply it throughout the day. I do not leave my house without sunscreen on if I am going to be outside for more than and hour.

You can get sunburned on a day that is overcast. So please. Wear sunscreen. Reapply. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:30 PM

143 posts, read 98,802 times
I forgot to mention it but, the biggest "elephant in the room" is the animal kingdom itself. Many wild animals are out in the sun all day (and obviously don't wear "sunscreen"), yet nothing happens to them, they don't get skin cancer

I strongly suspect this "the sun is evil, don't go outside the sun will kill you!" narrative is primarily fueled by the usual culprit of greed/special interest groups.... just think of all the money being made off of all this FEAR; "sun screen" profits, tanning lotion profits, UV-infused women's make up profits, dermatologist profits, researcher profits, college profits, UV clothing profits, screening service profits, oncologist profits, big pharma profits, drug profits, etc etc.

All this hysteria and fear over something completely natural and totally harmless (in moderation)

Old 06-30-2017, 07:33 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention it but, the biggest "elephant in the room" is the animal kingdom itself. Many animals are out in the sun all day, yet nothing happens to them, they don't get skin cancer

I strongly suspect this "the sun is evil, don't go outside the sun will kill you!" narrative is primarily fueled by the usual culprit of greed/special interest groups.... just think of all the money being made off of all this FEAR; "sun screen" profits, tanning lotion profits, UV-infused women's make up profits, dermatologist profits, researcher profits, college profits, UV clothing profits, screening service profits, oncologist profits, big pharma profits, drug profits, etc etc.

All this hysteria and fear over something completely natural and totally harmless (in moderation)
So don't buy sunscreen...use coconut oil with raspberry seed oil.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention it but, the biggest "elephant in the room" is the animal kingdom itself. Many wild animals are out in the sun all day (and obviously don't wear "sunscreen"), yet nothing happens to them, they don't get skin cancer

1) Some animals do get skin cancer.
2) Some animals do sun-burn, in fact many wallow in mud to get a protective coating.
3) Other animals have this thing called fur.
4) Humans are one of the rarer animals that generally live much longer than they'd be capable in the wild and thus live long enough to get skin cancer and other age related illnesses moreso than wild animals.
5) Humans come in a wide range of pigmentation and resistance to this issue.

Or, we can just ignore all that and declare it a conspiracy.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
"Sunscreen" didn't exist for millions and millions of years, yet we are still here, let that sink in for a moment.

It's interesting that most skin cancer patients are not who you would expect (outdoor workers, landscapers, etc) but rather the indoor white-collar type workers that rarely go outside or get any sun exposure. That's what i find strange, you would expect it to be the other way around.
I don't wear sunscreen often (except what is in my makeup) and I don't really burn and we spend a lot of time on the beach. Both of my grandfathers were the darkest white men I've ever met. My background is Central European which tends to be olive skinned. I love my dermatologist and he said my thick, dark skin protects me.

If you notice, the rise of skin cancer parallels the rise of sunblock use. Your skin is your largest organ and we load it up with these horrible chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Two of my children have been experiencing bad reactions to sunscreen for the last couple of years. Mainly their faces get swollen, splotchy, itchy, burning. Then a fine rough rash appears, like red sandpaper. Then they have rough, bumpy, dry, sandpaper skin for days afterward.

I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't always happen with every application of sunscreen, and we've tried numerous, numerous different brands and formulas..
Have you tried Beauty Counter or Clarins? Both plant based and BC does not contain any bad chemicals. I personally love Clarins. Expensive but a little goes a long way. My husband loves it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So don't buy sunscreen...use coconut oil with raspberry seed oil.
Winner, winner chicken dinner!!!

We use coconut oil exclusively and would use rasberry seed oil (SPF 30ish?) is it wasn't so expensive. Coconut oil has an SPF between 2-8 depending on your oil.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Winner, winner chicken dinner!!!

We use coconut oil exclusively and would use rasberry seed oil (SPF 30ish?) is it wasn't so expensive. Coconut oil has an SPF between 2-8 depending on your oil.
All a giant conspiracy by the coconut oil people.

Sadly, I'm pretty pasty and so I go for lots of clothing and SPF50+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events