Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times

Advertisements

During the hundreds of thousands of years humans didn't have sunscreen, they:

a) tended to die too early for long term sun damage to matter;
b) wore lots of clothing if they lived in high sun climates.

Why do you think the Arabs wore long gowns, and headdresses that practically covered them? They are a relatively light-skinned people. They knew what they were doing.

And skin cancer very definitely existed in "olden" times too.

The idea of linking sunscreen usage to skin cancer is ludicrous.

You know, ice cream causes drownings at the beach, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Man, I want to pop those things. That has to hurt so bad.

I got burnt last year the worst I have ever burnt. My stomach blistered up, but not anywhere close to that bad. I remember the next day thinking I had beads of sweat on my stomach and I popped one trying to wipe it away. It was so hard not to pop them all. I had put on sunscreen but it was the spray kind and I think the breeze was blowing most of the spray away before getting on me. I no longer use that kind

Old 07-11-2017, 05:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You think those pictures were faked? Or that the sunscreen caused the blisters?

I am old enough to remember when the only available sunscreen was zinc oxide. The pictures are indeed what an exceptionally bad sunburn looks like.
Huh? What's wrong with zinc oxide? That's what my sunscreen contains, and I've never had a sunburn (and I only use it on my face, neck and hands to prevent aging).

I have typical light olive Israeli/Greek colouring and am part black and Hawaiian, so although I've never burned regardless, I want to know if zinc oxide sunscreens aren't enough to prevent sun aging.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Huh? What's wrong with zinc oxide? That's what my sunscreen contains, and I've never had a sunburn (and I only use it on my face, neck and hands to prevent aging).

I have typical light olive Israeli/Greek colouring and am part black and Hawaiian, so although I've never burned regardless, I want to know if zinc oxide sunscreens aren't enough to prevent sun aging.
I never said anything was wrong with it. I just saw people mostly use it on their noses, not smear it on every inch of exposed skin. The "tanning lotions" available back when I was a kid did not do much.

For yourself, just go by the SPF of the product you use.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
the sun has caused me to get freckles over the year. My arms and legs get color by the end of May. Middle of June, I am with a golden dark tan, on my unclothes areas , that is. When I am at the beach, I am in the water most of the time. when not in the water, under the umbrella I go.

the worse case for me was sitting in an open pick up bed, while taking an hour ride, in sunny 90 degree weather. Just one arm, sunburned to toast, It was the arm I was using to hold onto something the entire ride. My arm had 3 quarter sized blisters, and I had to take antibiotics, just in case of infection. All the pain came from one spot. I also had a bug bite, in addition to the burn.

I normally take a sun bathe daily, at least 2 hours, and take in the nutrients. It helps the moodiness , and better on a breezy day. But I do lather up my arms daily, if I will be driving around alot. that left arm, sitting over the ledge, just baking and heating up. Put on some moisturizer or lotion at least.

Some of those pictures look like if those folks got drunk, and fell asleep at the beach. Or they can be from alcoholics that hang outside all day. Could also be from fisherman that spend hours at the pier. And those bubbled up pus balls are heavy burns, could be an allergic reaction, or straight up sun poisoning.

the most important thing after taking in alot of sun is to take a couple of cold long showers, a fever reducer, and unlimited amounts of refrigerated aloe/ sunburn lotion. It also helps to keep some cold t shirts in the fridge, use cold compresses. anything to cool off.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the sun has caused me to get freckles over the year. My arms and legs get color by the end of May. Middle of June, I am with a golden dark tan, on my unclothes areas , that is. When I am at the beach, I am in the water most of the time. when not in the water, under the umbrella I go.

the worse case for me was sitting in an open pick up bed, while taking an hour ride, in sunny 90 degree weather. Just one arm, sunburned to toast, It was the arm I was using to hold onto something the entire ride. My arm had 3 quarter sized blisters, and I had to take antibiotics, just in case of infection. All the pain came from one spot. I also had a bug bite, in addition to the burn.

I normally take a sun bathe daily, at least 2 hours, and take in the nutrients. It helps the moodiness , and better on a breezy day. But I do lather up my arms daily, if I will be driving around alot. that left arm, sitting over the ledge, just baking and heating up. Put on some moisturizer or lotion at least.

Some of those pictures look like if those folks got drunk, and fell asleep at the beach. Or they can be from alcoholics that hang outside all day. Could also be from fisherman that spend hours at the pier. And those bubbled up pus balls are heavy burns, could be an allergic reaction, or straight up sun poisoning.

the most important thing after taking in alot of sun is to take a couple of cold long showers, a fever reducer, and unlimited amounts of refrigerated aloe/ sunburn lotion. It also helps to keep some cold t shirts in the fridge, use cold compresses. anything to cool off.
Oh man. Now I see why my glow-in-the-dark pale hubby always wears long sleeves outside no matter how hot it is.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Or they can be from alcoholics that hang outside all day
What in the world does one have to do with the other?

Old 07-12-2017, 07:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
What that woman has is small compared to what I had when I was 15. My entire back from waist to neck, shoulders and arms were in the same condition.

It was August 1978 and I was working beating cedar out in the woods. I wanted to make as much as I could because we were going shopping for school clothes the next weekend and I didn't realize I was burning. We usually worked from about 5 am til 12 then went home. I stayed all day. All I wore was bluejeans boots and a straw hat.

I remember it was getting painful walking home and when I walked into the house I asked mom to look at it. The blisters were coming up. She called her friend who was a nurse and they took care of me for about the next 2 days. The misery was something else.

My mom was pissed too. She called the guy I worked for and asked why this had happened. He had left about 10 am and went fishing. She asked him if he was at home and he was. My dad had to run over to this guys place with the town sheriff (she took the car) and prevent her from killing him with a maul handle. He had promised her he would watch me if I worked for him. She was taking no prisoners and the sheriff had to cuff her. She was 6ft and probably weighed 180lbs.

Long story short I healed up but I've never felt comfortable in the sun, especially on the beach and always wear cloths outside or stick to the shade. Mom never let me work that guy again. I don't think they ever spoke again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events