Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:55 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times

Advertisements

The point of this thread is that why care enough to get into the differences, not to actually debate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
The problem has less to do with the merits of the subject (which one is better), and more to do with personal egos. Too many people place way too much emphasis on what they like/feel/believe, and if someone doesn't agree with them they take it as a personal disrespect. This incident could have (and regularly does) happened over anything from the most trivial to who's in the White House. And of course these same people also believe that physical violence is the best way to convince someone you are right, and therefore superior.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Am I the only person who has never seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movies or shows?
Probably.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Am I the only person who has never seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movies or shows?
You would be if you were.
"Deny everything"

Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The point of this thread is that why care enough to get into the differences, not to actually debate them.
I can imagine a literature class which spends an entire semester discussing the two movies in the context of evaluating English language genre films.
"Next semester, Jack Ryan and James Bond"

Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can totally see some CD members doing something like this

'Star Wars' vs 'Star Trek' Debate Leads to Assault Arrest, Police Say
No, no, C-D members come to blows over whether the COL in the Bay Area or Seattle is affordable to any given newbie on the forum, or whether this or that city or state is crime-ridden, or whether this or that city forum poster knows what they're talking about, or is just making stuff up. TV is small potatoes.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
You know, I don't even know why the topic even comes up let alone gets reacted as fiercely/violently as it does., The only real similarity between the two is the word "star" in the title (and that IL&M did some of the special effects for Next Generation and IIRC DS-9). Otherwise two completely different concepts, completely different storylines, different directors, different creators, different studios, different everything. Neither one is better or worse than the other. They each have their high and low points. You don't even have to be a Lucasite or a trekky to see how obvious it is.

It's just so pointless and stupid.
I've seen many an argument about this,though at cons most people are just having too much fun to go beyond both side enjoying the argument. I am more on the trek side, it being a much more personal thing. I like the starwars movies, but can sit and just watch them. Trek has more hours of story and tells it in more detail. But I do love the starwars movies too. They're different.

I can sit back and watch other people argue. I'll join in if someone is dumping on Deep Space Nine though.

Get into a real fight? Naw. Never seen it get to that. I'd like to see the rest they didn't say. I'll bet there were reasons beyond, and rivalry just was the spark. Or something personal which didn't have anything to do with either.

Someone arguing that media based fandoms are somehow wrong or there must be something wrong with fans? I'll take that on what ever fandom your talking about. Sports, like baseball and football and sillyest of all basketball is of no interest to me. Silly or odd or whatever? Only if you use it to put down something else. Otherwise, enjoy your own flavor.

Same for film/tv universes. My chosen favorite is Deep Space Nine, and even wrote a couple of alternative history's like, what if they LOST to the Dominion? But while its still the best trek for me, I'm not saying everyone has to agree.

Say fandoms are silly or immature or some other slight, then I will defend them all. I feel sort of bad for those with nothing to fill that spot, not even something played by adults using balls.

I'd like to see the rest of the story since it sounds like its been selectively edited before posting.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
That''s Trekkies for ya -nothing but troublemakers.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
No, there's a few of you. I cannot see getting into a debate about something like this. It's like getting into a debate over sports, where neither outcome will affect your own life in any possible way, unless you bet the rent money.
As this was OKC, I wonder if one was also one of those football fans who dress up for the game in some odd clothes, and the argument over sf worlds migrated over to a fan of the enemy team???? Oklahoma is pretty hardcore about sports in general and football in specifics, and acts like it too....

I once did see that at a con. Two people who hadn't ever met each other got in hot and heavy over a couple of college football teams, and had to be sent to their own rooms by con security. And they think we're strange......

Now, if this argument refered to had been back when both were on, and one was dedicated to Deep Space Nine, and the other Babylon 5... Got in a few arguments about that myself and I LIKED B5.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I can imagine a literature class which spends an entire semester discussing the two movies in the context of evaluating English language genre films.
"Next semester, Jack Ryan and James Bond"
And how much would that cost the student/parent/taxpayer? How does analyzing these things benefit the student?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events