Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Am I the only person who has never seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movies or shows?
Of course you are not the only one. But if you all got together for a convention, you could fit in an elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 05:14 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Of course you are not the only one. But if you all got together for a convention, you could fit in an elevator.
Good thing I'm not claustrophobic and I'm skinny because I haven't seen either show lol.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:18 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,888 times
In the words of William Shatner:

"Get a life, will you people? You've turned an enjoyable little job that I did as a lark for a few years into a colossal waste of time! How old are you people? What have you done with yourselves? There's a whole world out there! When I was your age I didn't watch television, I lived! So, move out of your parents basements, and get your own apartments and grow the hell up!"

Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
And how much would that cost the student/parent/taxpayer? How does analyzing these things benefit the student?
You do realise there are film classes in many colleges, right? (and high schools)

We had to watch all the Star Wars films (that were out at the time) in my high school film class. Good God that was torture. The prequels are like electric shock therapy to the brain.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Am I the only person who has never seen any Star Wars or Star Trek movies or shows?
Dude seriously? Yeah you probably are. Actually I think my mom might be on your team

Old 07-09-2017, 06:59 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
The notion that one is inherently better than the other is idiotic.

Both franchises are entertainment above all else. They are, quite simply, artistic endeavors, as is all fiction. Both have their worthy themes. But both also have their ridiculousness as well. The Force is fantasy, and warp speed is unscientific. World War II-style space combat? Dilithium crystals? Planet-wide climate and geography uniformity. Time travel. Human-like aliens. Human-alien mating. The list goes on and on. This is all fine because it's fiction. But it's just fiction. Entertainment.

If you cannot simply accept that your subjective preference for one or the other is just your personal tastes in action - if you have to convince yourself that what you prefer as entertainment is somehow inherently superior and that someone with differing tastes is wrong - then you have issues.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You do realise there are film classes in many colleges, right? (and high schools)

We had to watch all the Star Wars films (that were out at the time) in my high school film class. Good God that was torture. The prequels are like electric shock therapy to the brain.
A waste of time and money. People should be watching movies and TV shows on their own time.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
In the words of William Shatner:

"Get a life, will you people? You've turned an enjoyable little job that I did as a lark for a few years into a colossal waste of time! How old are you people? What have you done with yourselves? There's a whole world out there! When I was your age I didn't watch television, I lived! So, move out of your parents basements, and get your own apartments and grow the hell up!"
I understand why you may be insulted by this quote, but it's not the point of this thread. You should start a new one if you like, and you can debate what you are quoting Shatner as saying, whenever he supposedly said it. I will then chime in with my opinion on this quote, as will others.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Well, if you are getting that obsessed with either show, you are already detached from reality. At that point, it doesn't take much to completely separate you from it completely. I mean, hey, the Expanse is better and richer than either series, but I'm not going to any conventions for it.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the difference in the two is that unlike William Shatner, Mark Hamill does not think his fans need to "get a life"
I don't know. People seemed pretty hooked on Princess Leia when Carrie Fisher died, like it was the only part she ever played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

In my college class, it was Seifield. It was the only time I had ever seen a complete show, the only time I had seen more than 5 seconds of it.....and yes, it was torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
A waste of time and money. People should be watching movies and TV shows on their own time.
Not necessarily for I have used Geico Gecko commercials of examples of classical propaganda techniques at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events