Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times

Advertisements

My kids like to listen to music while in the shower, and so we bought a waterproof shower speaker with bluetooth - they now play the music from their phone - which is NOT in the bathroom - and hear it via the speaker which is approved for use in the shower.

I'm anti- having phones in the bathroom mainly because that's NASTY. *lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
My kids like to listen to music while in the shower, and so we bought a waterproof shower speaker with bluetooth - they now play the music from their phone - which is NOT in the bathroom - and hear it via the speaker which is approved for use in the shower.

I'm anti- having phones in the bathroom mainly because that's NASTY. *lol*
There's much nastier things lurking elsewhere in the world outside of your bathroom. I recall studies that show the bathroom is often the cleaner of the places in a house for various reasons. But yeah, I agree with you. Poop + pee + phone = gross.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Why does a 14 year old need a cell phone?
Why does anyone need a cell phone? Humans have prospered without one for thousands of years. Right?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
So the truth comes out.

Texas Teen Electrocuted in Bath After Reaching for Phone: Family | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

While I know thats already been posted...this part wasn't

So now we are dealing with 120V AC. This will easily generate the 100 mA required to start messing with your heart. Standing in water, she likely received well above that.

The old tale about amps killing and not volts is like saying it wasn't the speed he was driving at that killed him it was the crash. While true, its obvious that the crash results are highly dependent on the speed the car was travelling at.
guns dont kill people; bullets kill people.

voltage is non-tangible electro-motive force; current is the rate at which electrons (which are quantum sized physical objects) pass thru a fixed point.

power is the rate at which energy is absorbed or dissipated which is also the product of p = v * i.
very high voltage * 0 current = 0 watts.
very high current * 0 voltage = 0 watts.
moderate voltage * moderate current = high power.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Why does anyone need a cell phone? Humans have prospered without one for thousands of years. Right?
Millions. We also got along without clean water and sanitation, but having those things has improved the quality of life.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
All it takes is 50 mA to cause fibrillation some of these cell phone chargers are near 1.5 amps or 1500 mA. The higher current so the battery charges quicker. A GFI is designed to open at 4 - 6 mA and all outlets in bathrooms have been required to be GFI for about 20 years now. If it's an old home then it probably didn't have GFI protection. I recommend all homes no matter what age to install GFIs most likely would have saved her life.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
The current eddie1278 cites is the capacity of the charger through the low resistance of the battery, not through the teen's body. A wet body can be about 500-1000 ohms according to NIOSH. A 5 VDC charger can send a current of 5/1000 amps = 50-100 mA thru the body. Sounds about right, eh? The charger cannot pass more than the resistance of the body, but that would be enough.
"sad"

Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Why does a 14 year old need a cell phone?

My 11 yr old has one! She's in middle school activities after school. We got her one so she can keep in touch with us if needed. You do know there's a thing called parental controls, right?

ANYWAY..... I thought most outlets automatically shut down if water get on them (GFCI) so that something like this can't happen? Maybe it's an out of date outlet? Poor kid! Sad!

Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Millions. We also got along without clean water and sanitation, but having those things has improved the quality of life.
Oh yes ...smart phones have certainly improved the quality of life. This is an example of how:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...D6fOM_s6hgCWRD

Old 07-14-2017, 02:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good question.

A better question is why would anyone be pathetic enough to have a cell-phone in a bathtub?
Because it is their nipple of life, and, yes, pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events