Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

""There was so much water in her little lungs and it all seemed so unreal," her father said."

Her lungs were full of water, but the electricity killed her?
It sounds more like the electricity stunned her, and she drowned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post

You're right. I know mine were taught this at a very young age, along with many other safety rules for life. I get frustrated with how much ignorance is out there.
I was not taught this. I don't recall parents teaching us any safety rules for life. Certainly nothing about electricity.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:32 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The outlet was most likely Two Prong and the box was not grounded. This made the girl the ground when she touched the faucets and the frayed wire (one of them had to be frayed. As if both wires were frayed then that would've been a instant fire and the entire length of the cord would be burned) and thus closed the circuit.
Bingo:

Officials said the girl died from touching a frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it

Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was not taught this. I don't recall parents teaching us any safety rules for life. Certainly nothing about electricity.
I know of two things we were taught when we were very young and both came from TV and not parents. They were to never touch a downed electrical wire out on the street and not to play with fire.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
""There was so much water in her little lungs and it all seemed so unreal," her father said."

Her lungs were full of water, but the electricity killed her?
It sounds more like the electricity stunned her, and she drowned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bingo:
Officials said the girl died from touching a frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it

I included a link back on #29 that explains what happened. The electricity shocked her and froze her muscles. With the muscles frozen, she slipped under water and with her mouth open the water from the tub filled her lungs (if she were eating something while she was in the tub then her stomach would've most likely have been filled with water instead) with water. Here is the link again.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...s-electricity/

Quote:
Medically, this condition of involuntary muscle contraction is called tetanus. Electricians familiar with this effect of electric shock often refer to an immobilized victim of electric shock as being “froze on the circuit.” ......the victim may not regain voluntary control over their muscles for a while, as the neurotransmitter chemistry has been thrown into disarray. This principle has been applied in “stun gun” devices such as Tasers, which on the principle of momentarily shocking a victim with a high-voltage pulse delivered between two electrodes. A well-placed shock has the effect of temporarily (a few minutes) immobilizing the victim.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
I know of two things we were taught when we were very young and both came from TV and not parents. They were to never touch a downed electrical wire out on the street and not to play with fire.
What about "stranger danger" and crawling under your desk in case of tornado or missile attack?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
What about "stranger danger" and crawling under your desk in case of tornado or missile attack?
Before my time.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:44 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
i remember bugs bunny had a p.s.a.:
Quote:
keep those pot handles toined in
anybody else ?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM

649 posts, read 316,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
In this article on NY Daily News, the step-mother states:

“She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games,” Owens told the news channel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3320407
A whole family of idiots .

Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The wire from the charger to the phone, and the phone itself does not have enough power (Voltage+Amps) to kill.

3-6 volts and few milliamps.

The 120V/15A outlet could but, Most bathroom the plug is not reachable from being in the "Tub" , If its a older home the outlet might not be protected by a GFIC circuit. A GFIC would pop with in a millisecond of touching the water.

Sorry this happened, but don't buy the phone fell into the tub killed her. Unless the phone charger was on a extension cord that fell into the tub.
Your speaking of a GFCI, and rest assured many homes do not have them everywhere they should be.

Also, don't assume all "wires from the charger" are going to reduce the level as you speculate. If someones phone gets fried because its cord allows it, what makes you think an accident cannot occur because so many kids/people are addicted to their smart phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events