Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
RIP. she died doing what she loved....
Indeed, and that should respectfully close this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM

797 posts, read 751,753 times
Hmmm.I'll stay quit on this one.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:11 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
In this article on NY Daily News, the step-mother states:

“She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games,” Owens told the news channel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3320407

Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Why does a 14 year old need a cell phone?
Good question.

A better question is why would anyone be pathetic enough to have a cell-phone in a bathtub?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Her dad was an electrician and you are an electrical engineer..Here is a little secret. I highly doubt the family of this girl cares. She lacked common sense. Water and Electronics don't mix baby!
If her father were truly an electrician, he would have instructed her on the dangers. Also if he had a well paying occupation was is there a Gofundme acct open to pay for the funeral?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post

You're right. I know mine were taught this at a very young age, along with many other safety rules for life. I get frustrated with how much ignorance is out there.

That's good to hear. It amazes me how much ignorance there is out there now. I rarely see kids even looking before they step off the curb to cross the street.

[quote=craigiri;48813131]As you say, there is something more to this.

A basic (from afar) look would have to conclude:

1. No GFI or broken GFI in the bath.
AND (not or).
2. Messed up power-supply and USB cord

Of course, she could have reached to the socket and ended up hitting the prongs.....

There are at least a couple lessons to be learned.

1. Test and check GFI outlets.
2. Don't mix AC charged USB and water - all it takes is a short or problem in the power supply and you'd have A/C running through the USB cord. You are basically trusting your life and health to a plastic coating on a $2 piece of cable.
3. To be really sure, don't use your expensive electronics in the bath (although I may have used my kindle once).[/QUOTE]

Not quite, on #3. How about no electronics in the bath. It's pretty sad if someone can't take a hot bath to relax and can't be without an electronic device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
In this article on NY Daily News, the step-mother states:

“She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games,†Owens told the news channel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3320407
She sounds like a real bright bulb.

I guess I got my answer regarding didn't anyone ever teach this poor kid that water and electricity aren't a good comibination.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Her dad was an electrician and you are an electrical engineer..Here is a little secret. I highly doubt the family of this girl cares. She lacked common sense. Water and Electronics don't mix baby!
I doubt her father was an electrician. That's like the cop's kid not knowing don't get into cars with strangers.

I wouldn't call it a lack of common sense if she was never taught the two don't mix, granted at 14 that used to be something you knew already.

But seeing what the step-mother said, the norm in their household was to do this. I mean God forbid one is without an electronic device while bathing.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:28 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
Apparently, there is a cure for stupid.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's very sad, she looked like a nice kid if you click on the article.

What I don't get is they quote the grandmother who now wants to educate people on the dangers of electronic devices and water. This used to be common knowledge.

No one, not the grandmother, or either parent ever discussed this with her?
This is newly common knowledge now for homes. If I think back to the homes I had 30+ years ago, the house bathroom had no outlet in it, one apartment didn't have one and the other apartment had a light fixture on the wall with one but no outlet on the wall. And in the kitchens, none were near the sink. All the men were blade shavers, everyone uses a hand powered toothbrush and the women used their hairdryers in their bedrooms.

Two things strike as odd; first that she ran a extension cord to the tub and secondly it happened at 12:30AM. Could she have on some type of drugs?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Why does a 14 year old need a cell phone?
So she can text her friends while she is in the bathtub.

But seriously they have GFCI outlets that protect you from this sort of thing. I think its code throughout most of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events