Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:50 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,603,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
So this is the equivalent of doing a data file transfer, where the actual physical file has not left the building, but a representation of it is duplicated elsewhere?
Let me just refer you to the paper written by the Chinese scientists who performed the experiment. They explain it better than I can.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1707/1707.00934.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM

10,939 posts, read 7,477,204 times
so it's more like the food replicators on Star Trek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Despite the name, no actual teleportation of the photon itself took place. Don't think in terms of Star Trek where an object is dematerialized and reassembled in another location. What actually occurred is that via quantum entanglement, which Albert Einstein called spooky action at a distance, a photon on a satellite in space was made to assume the exact characteristics of a photon on earth which never left the earth. Basically it was information about the photon that was teleported and copied onto the photon on the satellite, rather than the photon itself.

When two particles are entangled, what happens to one particle instantaneously happens to the other particle even though they are physically separated by distance.

Here is another article on the recent experiment.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/c...hoton-to-space

Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM

19,133 posts, read 27,760,437 times
This actually confirms one statement I heard from a wise man.
That modern Elite is heavily investing into two researches: practical immortality (300-400 yrs lifespan) and opening portals to other dimensions. All this "teleportation" (which really is not teleportation) research is headed in the 2nd direction.

Also, from what I gather from few educated posts here, it simply proves that we live in past and future but in NOW, or reality, everything is present everywhere at the same time. Same INSTANCE. They simply tapped into same "object" (are photons even materiel?) present in NOW.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM

46 posts, read 40,763 times
Was it a BK Whopper?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:29 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,758,216 times
A quantum object is not an object as we know them. And some are stranger than others.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,913,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If I was a scientist, I would shoot a teleporter beam through a teleporter to see what would happen if I beamed a beam
Beaming a teleporter beam?

That conjours thoughts of Batman & Manbat:

Old 07-14-2017, 01:42 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,633,853 times
"Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time"

No, by any reasonable definition of the words "teleported" or "object", it didn't happen.

Maybe it was a document poorly translated from Chinese that is the culprit here.

A photon is definitely not an object, and there is no way to isolate or identify a single photon to say you teleported it anywhere.

I guess teleportation is the new Cold Fusion.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
"Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time"

No, by any reasonable definition of the words "teleported" or "object", it didn't happen.

Maybe it was a document poorly translated from Chinese that is the culprit here.

A photon is definitely not an object, and there is no way to isolate or identify a single photon to say you teleported it anywhere.

I guess teleportation is the new Cold Fusion.
This explains what is meant by Quantum teleportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

So does the paper written by the actual Chinese Scientists who performed the experiment.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,080,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What is being referred to is ''quantum information.'' A unit of quantum information is called a qubit and can contain information about the state of a photon or electron which can be communicated from one entangled photon to its partner which has been spatially separated from it.

I read a paper by the team that performed the experiment. Quoting the paper;
''Quantum teleportation allows faithful transfer of unknown quantum states from one object to another over long distances, without physical traveling of the object itself.''

''Here, we report the first quantum teleportation of independent single-photon qubits from a ground observatory to a low earth orbit satellite---through an up-link channel---with a distance of up to 1400 km.

For the teleportation to work, both a classical channel for communication and a quantum channel (entanglement) are required.

Full details are provided in the paper if anyone is interested in reading them.

I read the paper three times and I'm still not clear on all of it, but I'm working on it.
You only need to know they cannot transmit information via entanglement.
Put simply, it cannot be used as a form of instant communication between people at cosmological distances.
I believe they will find an elegant way of getting around that eventually.
But as of today, nope.

Again, this is nothing new, they did the innsbruck experiment 17 yrs ago.
It was already proven to be viable at any distance, across the room or across the universe.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You only need to know they cannot transmit information via entanglement.
Put simply, it cannot be used as a form of instant communication between people at cosmological distances.
I believe they will find an elegant way of getting around that eventually.
But as of today, nope.

Again, this is nothing new, they did the innsbruck experiment 17 yrs ago.
It was already proven to be viable at any distance, across the room or across the universe.
I just got through telling you what they mean by information.
''Teleportation is the ability to communicate the information in one quantum particle from one place to a physically distant location without transporting the particle itself.''

https://fisher.osu.edu/~schroeder.9/AMIS634/quantum.pdf

''Quantum teleportation is a process by which quantum information (e.g. the exact state of an atom or photon) can be transmitted (exactly, in principle) from one location to another, with the help of classical communication and previously shared quantum entanglement between the sending and receiving location.''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
That is what quantum teleportation is, and that is what quantum information is.

And I'll be the judge of what I need to know. This made the news because it's the first time quantum teleportation has been done from ground to low earth orbit.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-14-2017 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events