Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Police have no choice but to meet every threat or perceived threat with great force because we have seen where Police have been ambushed and gunned down for no other reason then they wear a badge.

Society is becoming unhinged and the cops are facing ever increasing threats from drug induced crazy people to suicide by cop scenarios to possible terrorism where it has never been seen before so the cops need to go in "heavy".
Really? I thought & according to the media:
1. college kids wanting a safe space from aggressive speech was okay
2. young people accepting they cannot be defined by their sex
3. Realty TV stars wanting to be politicians (Trump, now Bruce Jenner wants to be senator)
4. Democrats in California were looking out for people's best interest and speaking the truth
5. the race, sexism, gay-phobia cards being spewed out if you oppose someone was for valid & sound reasons
6. votes for Hillary were hacked by Russians (yes, and the earth is still flat)
7. all police officers escalate situations and didn't have to kill anyone, no matter if the person fails to obey orders and reaches in their pocket.
8. If person shoots and kills police officer(s), we need to look at the shooter as the victim, not the dead police.

Yes, society "in some parts of the country" are unhinged and thinking illogically. Social Media & Reality TV are the worst things to happen to our society in the last 5-10 years.

Last edited by frankrj; 07-17-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
BS, murder rates and crime rates have dropped steadily across the western world for the last few decades.

Only in Trump's fakenews world is the world dark and scary. HERE in the USA we have enjoyed perhaps the most secure times in generations.

STOP watching hate TV, and start reading actual data. the trend is down down and down and like very trend there will be bumps etc but remember they are trends.

Hardly BS. Trump has nothing to do with it. We could blame the media for highlighting the riots, burning, looting and terrorist activity that we see here and from abroad.

Maybe society was more violent 20, 30 40 years ago but it sure seems like we are living in a dangerous world form what I have seen on TV and read online and the funny part is most of it is from the Left biased media.

From what I have seen we have much more to be worried about like brazen youth, thugs, isis wanna be terrorists that are willing to kill and be killed and cops actually being ambushed.

There is no wonder the Police are ramping up their responses.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
Anybody think of this ?

Evacuate the house, leave the kid alone. Let him kill himself if he wants to. Maintain a low profile Police watch on the house ( a one person unit parked down the street ) and see what happens. No need for any high pressure tactics.

Jim B.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Anybody think of this ?

Evacuate the house, leave the kid alone. Let him kill himself if he wants to. Maintain a low profile Police watch on the house ( a one person unit parked down the street ) and see what happens. No need for any high pressure tactics.

Jim B.
I don't think it's that simple when he's distraught, there are multiple guns in the house, and it's a residential area. The neighbors are the ones that need to be evacuated, and for how long? The police can't just park one car down the street. There should be a middle ground though.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Cab drivers do have to respond to dangerous situations. They have to pick up fares in dangerous neighborhoods where they know there is a good chance they will get robbed or maybe even murdered. Statistically they are in more danger while working then LEOs are.

Again taxi drivers are twice as likely as LEOs to be murdered on the job. Why is the life of a taxi driver worth less than that of a cop? Why should a cab driver not have the same rights to get home safe to his family as a cop does?
Of course the cab driver's life is worth as much as a LEO to most of us or at least those of us who care about all humanity, but it doesn't seem like it due to all the news coverage of the pomp and circumstance on display, sometimes even "live breaking news" on a station for the live coverage of an officer's funeral when an officer loses his/her life, even if it is not a shooting but simply a traffic accident, causing who-knows-what damage to the other vehicle's occupants.

I still feel very sad when a firefighter loses his or her life, especially in forest fires, but it's a rare situation that causes me similar feelings for the death of a law enforcement officer, unless it is one of the older officers who I knew personally, one with a reputation of kindness in the community and not one who has notches on his/her gun or a high-arrest records.

I want officers who are trained to and capable of diffusing tense situations, not those who add stress to a sad situation.

We need to hire officers who live in the communities they serve, just as they used to have to do. If people are their neighbors, they are more likely to help and less likely to just add to the lock-'em-up/shoot-'em up statistics.

Take a look at your own community's requirements for new police officers. From what I have seen, they don't even have to have stuck it out and graduated from high school, but can apply with a GED!

I'd feel a lot better if they had an AA degree at a minimum for trainees, and a very strong preference for a bachelor's degree.

We need smart, well-educated cops, not beefy ones.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Exactly. This situation highlights how LE has gone into the realm of absurdity in response to a given situation. The public is now classified as the enemy. The thinking being that just like the Viet Cong and Taliban there are enemy fighters hiding in plain sight. I'm surprised that given the current trends that single officer patrols are even allowed. Are we even that far off of squad sized patrols riding in light armor carrying rifles and handguns as standard gear? Maybe even fixed, belt fed weapons mounted on patrol vehicles? With everything else LE is justifying as "needed" to stay safe why not M249 SAWs?

In a lot of cases LE is practically indistinguishable from forward deployed combat soldiers. The case here is an example. There is a story coming up on the news as I write this about a woman who called 911 for help and the police have shot and killed her. This should be interesting to hear the justification for. It seems that every situation officers respond with a mindset that they are in fear for their lives. They are ready to go to their weapon as soon as they strap on their belts. The Dodge City analogy that so many people apply to citizens who carry seems more appropriate to LE.

As a person with a CCW, I feel more concern over possible interaction with LE than I do a violent criminal. I figure if I am accosted by police for any reason I had better put my hands on my head and loudly announce that I am armed and have a CCW. And freeze like a block of ice. I have never much cared for open carry, but anymore it seems more attractive. That way the fact that I am armed is out in the open so there are no potential surprises. The problem with that is the possibility some ignorant non local will dial 911 and report a person with a gun and blow up someone who is carrying open and legal as an active shooter.

I have to say that interaction with police makes me more nervous than strolling a bad neighborhood at night any more. The new story about the woman who was shot after dialing 911 is up next. Happened in Minneapolis. They say the officer fired from his car. The circumstances of this should prove interesting, as will the depts response.
Agreed. I've always been a relatively law abiding citizen, and I'm white, and even I am afraid of the police now.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 PM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
Toronto Police Service hiring requirements.

The last TPS graduating class in 2016.

Make note of the parity with 47 percent of the class being females, and the number of new officers who have a University 4 year degree, and the number of them who are fluent in more than one language. Amongst the members of the class there are 13 different languages spoken.

link. Latest batch of graduating Toronto police constables approaches gender parity | CP24.com

For every graduate in that class , there were at least 400 applications who didn't get to the point of being hired. To say the competition is tough is an understatement.

Last edited by toosie; 07-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: TOS - no signatures please

Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Police shootings - not for current events as per forum sticky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events