Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 AM

296 posts, read 644,371 times

Advertisements

Well, it was bought illegally, as much as this sucks, ticket is void, and retailer should be penalized as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM

132 posts, read 107,443 times
In PA I've bought scratch off lottery tickets for my father as gifts. I'm over 18, so no problem there. But if he had won big & they checked to see who bought the ticket, it wouldn't be the same person. Also, I know people who routinely buy scratch off tickets to give to kids as gifts. Then what? The parents should be able to cash them in for them. The children didn't purchase the tickets.

I agree lottery should pay up in this case. They granted the winnings, then revoked? Sorry. Done deal. If the lottery representative (the store clerk) gave 16yo boy the tickets (as his dad's representative) that was lottery's mistake. Lottery needs to own up to their mistake. Tough luck for them.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
I agree lottery should pay up in this case. They granted the winnings, then revoked? Sorry. Done deal. If the lottery representative (the store clerk) gave 16yo boy the tickets (as his dad's representative) that was lottery's mistake. Lottery needs to own up to their mistake. Tough luck for them.
All lotteries do an investigation before they award larger prizes. The first step is authenticating the ticket, making sure it really is the winner. They usually give the person who presented it a small advance on it like $10K. And the presumptive winner is told that an investigation will take place.

So the father should have been expecting this. It's not like he was told "the check's in the mail" and then found out it had been canceled when he tried to cash it. All he could do is sit back and hope that the security tape at the store had already been erased or was malfunctioning at the time. Unfortunately for him, it was still available.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
All lotteries do an investigation before they award larger prizes. The first step is authenticating the ticket, making sure it really is the winner. They usually give the person who presented it a small advance on it like $10K. And the presumptive winner is told that an investigation will take place.

So the father should have been expecting this. It's not like he was told "the check's in the mail" and then found out it had been canceled when he tried to cash it. All he could do is sit back and hope that the security tape at the store had already been erased or was malfunctioning at the time. Unfortunately for him, it was still available.
In this investigation do they always go back and watch security tapes to make sure someone of legal age purchased it?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
In this investigation do they always go back and watch security tapes to make sure someone of legal age purchased it?
The few lotteries I'm familiar with have a protocol to request the retailer's security tapes each time. My guess is that every state does this to make sure the ticket wasn't stolen. For a while there was a spate of clerks who would check the ticket and tell the customer they won $100 then have their baby daddy go cash in the $5K ticket for themselves. Nice profit!

That's how the security guy for MUSL got caught, they got him on tape buying the winning ticket. He's the guy who put a program into the Hot Lotto draw software to make his numbers come up on a certain draw.

He actually did it several times but the first ones both bought and cashed the ticket themselves. One was a brother, a couple were friends, etc. So they're not always successful at catching fraud, but they do try.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
In PA I've bought scratch off lottery tickets for my father as gifts. I'm over 18, so no problem there. But if he had won big & they checked to see who bought the ticket, it wouldn't be the same person. Also, I know people who routinely buy scratch off tickets to give to kids as gifts. Then what? The parents should be able to cash them in for them. The children didn't purchase the tickets.
Been there before. My mother or father would make the claim if me or my brother won a prize. Happened a few times actually.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. The lottery cannot be held accountable for a minor misrepresenting themselves whether to a machine or the courtesy counter clerk and the clerk making an error.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Pay the man.
You fools.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
give the kid a bag full of red bull and call it good

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
In NC in order to buy a ticket from a sales machine you have to scan your driver's license.
That is how it is supposed to work, but I bet about half the time I get a ticket from a machine, I am able to do it without having to first scan my license.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
That shouldn't be a problem, unless the PA Lottery has some rule against giving a lottery ticket to a minor. I can't find any such rule.

To be safe though, the parent should probably handle all of the transactions, buy the ticket, collect the winnings, and then set up a trust fund for the child to collect the winnings. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events