Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Yes I get it that rules are rules, but this thing just stinks.

Honestly, I didn't even realize the age thing (yes I know it's technically gambling, but still). There's nothing on the website that sticks out and warns about age restrictions for buying tickets.

If the ticket didn't win anything, lotto officials wouldn't give a toss, but since the ticket was a winning one, now they resort to the rule book.

How convenient.

http://abc7.com/news/long-beach-man-sues-california-lottery-for-not-honoring-$5m-ticket/2239889/

Quote:
Long Beach resident is suing the California State Lottery Commission and a local liquor store for failing to honor a winning Scratchers ticket worth $5 million.

Ward Thomas is suing the commission and Los Altos Mobil for damages resulting from the loss and denial of the winning ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes I get it that rules are rules, but this thing just stinks.

Honestly, I didn't even realize the age thing (yes I know it's technically gambling, but still). There's nothing on the website that sticks out and warns about age restrictions for buying tickets.

If the ticket didn't win anything, lotto officials wouldn't give a toss, but since the ticket was a winning one, now they resort to the rule book.

How convenient.

http://abc7.com/news/long-beach-man-sues-california-lottery-for-not-honoring-$5m-ticket/2239889/
What does that mean? The age rule wasn't cooked up just to deny this payout.

The California Lottery paid out almost $4,000,000,000 (yes, that's four billion) in winnings last year. It doesn't care about a paltry $5 million. In fact, this story is negative publicity. The California Lottery undoubtedly wishes Dad had bought the tickets so they could pay out. The lottery exists to raise revenues, and that is dependent on payouts that encourage people to play. But they do have to abide by the law. You understand that, right?

People who think government lotteries don't want to pay out winnings don't understand how lotteries and marketing work.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:43 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
The father should have claimed the prize himself, problem solved. Now it's lesson learned.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
He should get the money. They failed to follow their own rules.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The father should have claimed the prize himself, problem solved. Now it's lesson learned.
As I read the story the father did claim the prize himself, and was awarded the prize. It was then revoked two months later after Lottery officials learned that it was his underage son who bought the ticket.

I don't think he has a case. The rules are the rules. The Lottery just found a loophole out of paying the five million dollars.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What does that mean? The age rule wasn't cooked up just to deny this payout.

The California Lottery paid out almost $4,000,000,000 (yes, that's four billion) in winnings last year. It doesn't care about a paltry $5 million. In fact, this story is negative publicity. The California Lottery undoubtedly wishes Dad had bought the tickets so they could pay out. The lottery exists to raise revenues, and that is dependent on payouts that encourage people to play. But they do have to abide by the law. You understand that, right?

People who think government lotteries don't want to pay out winnings don't understand how lotteries and marketing work.
Five million dollars is not a paltry amount. If it was $5, they would have just paid. Five million, no way.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As I read the story the father did claim the prize himself, and was awarded the prize. It was then revoked two months later after Lottery officials learned that it was his underage son who bought the ticket.

I don't think he has a case. The rules are the rules. The Lottery just found a loophole out of paying the five million dollars.
His son COULDNT legally buy a ticket by himself. Which he didn't. The dad gave him the winners to exchange. Technicallybthe sin was his representative. The liquor store broke the rules by selling it to the kid, they should of said your dad needs to be present. Would it of made a difference if the dad was there or not? No. because the tickets themselves were in a row of tickets.
I think you're right. The lottery just found a loophole n giving the guy his winnings

Old 07-22-2017, 12:03 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:

How on earth did they figure out that the underage son bought the ticket?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM

17,332 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:

Revoked 2 months later........that makes no sense! If it was awarded the guy would be spending the money not suing.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM

17,332 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
How on earth did they figure out that the underage son bought the ticket?
Lotteries routinely review in store video to be sure who bought the ticket/when etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events