Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM

902 posts, read 863,208 times

Advertisements

CSD,

Thanks for the link. Didn't see that previous thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

135 posts, read 94,581 times
Isn't there also implied fatherhood? Like if you live with a woman and her child for 10 years and then split, there is the implication that the child deserves to not lose their standard of living.

Honestly, this all smells like the government trying to make us toe the marriage line and not live in "sin".

Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Strange that (in several stories that I glanced at) they list the accused deadbeat Dad's name. His lawyer's name, the Judge's name, the Ex-Girlfriend's Lawyer's name.....but not the Ex-Girlfriend's name.

I bet that there are a LOT of single men in Houston that would want to stay clear of that prize.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Texas has some really messed up and complicated paternity laws...the guy is almost always screwed no matter what in Texas.
That's not my experience, and I do have some. Texas looks the other way if the dad is a complete loser who can't even manage to maintain his job at Taco Bell. It's not worth going after them, they don't have two dimes to rub together.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
Isn't there also implied fatherhood? Like if you live with a woman and her child for 10 years and then split, there is the implication that the child deserves to not lose their standard of living.

Honestly, this all smells like the government trying to make us toe the marriage line and not live in "sin".
No. It's the state not wanting to have to foot the bill for people's kids.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Mandatory paternity tests at birth would mostly solve these sorts of problems. Some people object to the costs of these tests, but that's just an excuse. Dozens of tests are done to the mother and child during pregnancy and right after birth. One more isn't going to significantly alter the costs of childbirth. Don't worry I'm not talking about doing it retroactively, so you ladies out there who have something to hide would have no worries.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Mandatory paternity tests at birth would mostly solve these sorts of problems. Some people object to the costs of these tests, but that's just an excuse. Dozens of tests are done to the mother and child during pregnancy and right after birth. One more isn't going to significantly alter the costs of childbirth. Don't worry I'm not talking about doing it retroactively, so you ladies out there who have something to hide would have no worries.
Those tests aren't mandatory.
DNA test when there is suspicion, doubt, question, CS order.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:17 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
I don't know about that. Admittedly, it is a good example of why keeping it in your pants will keep you out of trouble.

My youngest child was born in New Mexico. We opened the packet they hand you in the hospital and there were at least three different pamphlets for paternity testing. We had not seen anything like that when our first two babies were born in a different state. My husband had to ask the nurse if that was a problem there. There was also something different about filling out the form for the birth certificate. I can't remember exactly, but I think my husband had to sign it and agree that he was the father instead of me just filling in his name and saying he was the father.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
It's that fine print in the law that states he's responsible until cleared by DNA evidence. He could have taken a DNA test at any time over the years & the amount owed would have stopped increasing.

He said he didn't know the mom had even filed for orders but his wages had already been garnished once? He should have stepped up to the plate & taken the test a looong time ago & this wouldn't be happening.

Why didn't he do that? Was he afraid he was the father & didn't want proof of an 18yr long obligation?

The thing is; if mom had been on any form of public assistance since the judgement against him was ruled on; the state takes over prosecuting for back-support. The mom couldn't let him off the hook if she wanted to; the state payed her & now he owes the state.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Those tests aren't mandatory.
DNA test when there is suspicion, doubt, question, CS order.
Splitting hairs. I find reasons to do, you find reasons to don't. No way to live life.

Besides by the time the suspicions are raised it is often too late and the courts get old dude on the established relationship clause. Do the test up front, make it mandatory so the wife/girlfriend can't play the "I can't stay with someone who doesn't trust me" card, and move forward with knowledge in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events