Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I strongly suspect that there is information missing in this story.

In Texas, this is how this works. A child is born to an unwed mother, and she can choose to name a dad on the birth certificate or decline to name the dad. If she names the father, and then goes on to apply for welfare benefits, the state comes after the Dad for child support. If she hasn't named him on the birth certificate, but applies for welfare, she has that chance to name him at that time. He will get served with a summons to appear for DNA testing. If he either actively refuses to do that, or he makes himself impossible to find or ignores the summons, he can be "defaulted" as the father. (Or, as I've heard a lawyer say in court, then "default his ass"). That is, a man who refuses to DNA test and refuses court requests can legally be declared the father on the word of the mother. So you don't get baby daddies just running from the paternity test.

And then child support payments begin to accrue.

My guess is, he'll be forgiven this debt so all this whining about being forced to pay for a child that isn't his is really disingenuous. It's not going to happen.

But it is a cautionary tale, about men who ignore that the courts are asking for proof of paternity from them.

Interestingly, the way the article is written, he didn't at first know he wasn't the father of the child. It took the DNA test to reassure him of that. So he COULD have been the father of the child, and the mother may well have believed he was. It's not like they hadn't had sex, which is what the article seems to be trying to imply.

AND at some point, way back, he DID have money taken out of his check...which he did not contest. The article doesn't say how much was taken out. So...this leads me to believe he WAS trackable, so he WAS getting court orders, etc., but chose to ignore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I join with those who don't totally believe that the man didn't know. I think he just got lazy and never contested something that should have been settled long ago.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What a stupid law.
Agreed!! Child support should only be sought from biological parents, NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Holy Cow, what a stupid law! It is the mother who is mainly at fault in this case as far as I ham concerned. Yes, he should keep it in his pants where it belongs and both should have brains enough to use protection for many reasons, not just pregnancy, but for her to even attempt to go after a man who, she knows isn't the father of her baby is a disgrace and for any court to say he is responsible for support is a bigger disgrace. I am a strong supporter of Texas and most of their laws. This one is just plain nuts. I hope he finds a way to get this overturned. Is she such a **** she doesn't know who the real father is?

Old 07-29-2017, 02:45 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
It's his own fault.

You can't ignore court documents. Otherwise you lose by default. If he'd dealt with it the first place he wouldn't be in this poaition.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
My son was ordered to pay support. It wasn't til 13 years later and a fluke of a blood test that determined that my grandson whom I thought was biological to us, was not. This childs Mother chose to lie to my son and he for years had no reason to think otherwise. SHe laughs all the way to the bank every two weeks while my son has to turnover support and medical insurance provisions for this young teen.

My son's attorney never once asked the pertinent question of : Do you want a blood test to determine paternity before we proceed on custody and support? . No Instead his attorney simply took the 3k to represent, talked him into signing all her demands so that he could get the divorce.

While I do not agree with my sons' decision to keep being the father and forking over money...its his adult choice at this point. He refuses to admit that she took him for an 18 year ride of financial crippling while the real Biological father ...Whom she eventually married gets to spend the money and He himself ( the Bio Dad)...doesn't really like the young boy. Its sad no matter how its told.

I concur that when support is up for decision thru the courts, that a pre requisite be a paternity test. Far too many men have been forced to pay for another entity that isn't theirs....

Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

While I do not agree with my sons' decision to keep being the father and forking over money...its his adult choice at this point. He refuses to admit that she took him for an 18 year ride of financial crippling while the real Biological father ...Whom she eventually married gets to spend the money and He himself ( the Bio Dad)...doesn't really like the young boy. Its sad no matter how its told.

Defend this one ladies. lol

Your son should have no financial role in this situation, especially after the real bio dad came back in to the picture, but he should enjoy full visitation rights, for the child's sake if nobody else's.

Just curious...did your feelings towards your grandchild change after you found out he wasn't biologically yours? Did your relationship change?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Holy Cow, what a stupid law! It is the mother who is mainly at fault in this case as far as I ham concerned. Yes, he should keep it in his pants where it belongs and both should have brains enough to use protection for many reasons, not just pregnancy, but for her to even attempt to go after a man who, she knows isn't the father of her baby is a disgrace and for any court to say he is responsible for support is a bigger disgrace. I am a strong supporter of Texas and most of their laws. This one is just plain nuts. I hope he finds a way to get this overturned. Is she such a **** she doesn't know who the real father is?
He's at fault because he ignored a court summons, didn't appear, and did nothing when a garnishment was taken out of his paycheck. If you're served court papers, you can't do nothing and expect it to go away. That's not how the legal system works.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My son was ordered to pay support. It wasn't til 13 years later and a fluke of a blood test that determined that my grandson whom I thought was biological to us, was not. This childs Mother chose to lie to my son and he for years had no reason to think otherwise. SHe laughs all the way to the bank every two weeks while my son has to turnover support and medical insurance provisions for this young teen.

My son's attorney never once asked the pertinent question of : Do you want a blood test to determine paternity before we proceed on custody and support? . No Instead his attorney simply took the 3k to represent, talked him into signing all her demands so that he could get the divorce.

I concur that when support is up for decision thru the courts, that a pre requisite be a paternity test. Far too many men have been forced to pay for another entity that isn't theirs....
That's not the lawyer's fault! Your son didn't say hey I want a paternity test. Even now, he knows the child isn't his biologically and continues to pay. That's on him not a lawyer or anyone else.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's not the lawyer's fault! Your son didn't say hey I want a paternity test. Even now, he knows the child isn't his biologically and continues to pay. That's on him not a lawyer or anyone else.
That's what I was thinking too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events