Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:52 PM

13,517 posts, read 17,077,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Absolutely, because flipping someone the bird warrants the death penalty.

When dealing with hyper-macho hood rats, those is da rulz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,980,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You just stand quiet or hide when youths speed down your residential street? I don't - aholes speeding down my street where kids play and pets cats cross isn't minding their own business - they are right in my business.
Not necessarily.

But you know what I've NEVER done? Never even REMOTELY CONSIDERED doing? Getting in my car to go chase someone down, and then plunging a knife into their chest to teach them a lesson about RESPECTING MY AUTHORITAH.

Also, how fast do you think they were going? They were driving slow enough to have heard exactly what the stabber was yelling at them. Plus, they were overtaken seconds after the incident. If the victims were truly speeding, some guy yelling at them from the sidewalk wouldn't have even registered, because they would have gone by in a blur.

That's all irrelevant anyway. You're missing the point entirely.

You don't vigilante-punish the transgression of speeding and bird flipping with a car chase followed by stabby stabby murder.

ETA: I would love to time travel back to when all the Dirty Harry/Walt Kowalski wannabes in this thread were 25 years-old, and see how you'd all react in response to some disgruntled 46 year-old blowhard angrily yelling at you to behave. I'm pretty sure there would be more than a few finger flippers here.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 07-28-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,071,706 times
Quote:
Speeding on a residential street and flipping people off also makes you an idiot.

I also have no sympathy for the guy who ended up dead. Hate? No - that word is thrown around carelessly nowadays. Hate is a strong thing. Not the same as just being indifferent to an anti-social ahole's fate.
Being an idiot isn't a death sentence. Looking forward to the murderer to be in jail for life as it should be. Taking someone's life cannot be tolerated period!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:19 PM

573 posts, read 589,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A world of difference between the two, killing someone is way beyond just being an idiot. Flipping people off is douche, but it's a sign of annoyance, not some antisocial act of aggression. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth to talk about caring about kids and pets while being indifferent to what is essentially a depraved reaction to a simple hand gesture.
The point IS that if the idiot hadn't flipped someone off, he wouldn't be dead. Did he deserve to die? No, however if he wasn't a selfish ******* who did something completely stupid and unnecessary, he wouldn't be dead would he? Stupid is as stupid does. If I drive into the ghetto with my windows down and keys left in the car, and go into a store, it will get stolen! That is still a crime, but I would be the idiot for doing something so lacking in common sense! Some of you people really don't seem to have much common sense.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,150,657 times
Quote:
You just stand quiet or hide when youths speed down your residential street? I don't - aholes speeding down my street where kids play and pets cats cross isn't minding their own business - they are right in my business.
How many of these aholes have u stabbed/ shot?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 14 days ago)

16,121 posts, read 21,267,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
The point IS that if the idiot hadn't flipped someone off, he wouldn't be dead. Did he deserve to die? No, however if he wasn't a selfish ******* who did something completely stupid and unnecessary, he wouldn't be dead would he? Stupid is as stupid does. If I drive into the ghetto with my windows down and keys left in the car, and go into a store, it will get stolen! That is still a crime, but I would be the idiot for doing something so lacking in common sense! Some of you people really don't seem to have much common sense.
You are so right, some people just don't, your ghetto scenario in no way compares to getting killed for flipping the bird, sheesh. Lots and lots of people are self centered, and do stupid things but who in their right mind thinks they are likely to be murdered over cutting in line, taking up two parking spaces, letting their dog poop on somesone's lawn or any other extremely common obnoxious behavior.
I don't like people who tailgate me, it's stupid and unecessary, maybe people who tailgate should know they run the risk I might go off and chase them down and kill them over it?

Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
How many of these aholes have u stabbed/ shot?
None - but what's that got do with many of us having no sympathy for this guy.

Nothing.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Being an idiot isn't a death sentence. Looking forward to the murderer to be in jail for life as it should be. Taking someone's life cannot be tolerated period!

Evidently being an idiot can be a death sentence in many ways. It might be driving drunk and high. It might be flipping off the wrong guy because you think you are the tough guy.

You seem to be conflating an official sanctioned judicial death sentence with what actions one takes which might cause one's death.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:45 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Not necessarily.

But you know what I've NEVER done? Never even REMOTELY CONSIDERED doing? Getting in my car to go chase someone down, and then plunging a knife into their chest to teach them a lesson about RESPECTING MY AUTHORITAH.

Also, how fast do you think they were going? They were driving slow enough to have heard exactly what the stabber was yelling at them. Plus, they were overtaken seconds after the incident. If the victims were truly speeding, some guy yelling at them from the sidewalk wouldn't have even registered, because they would have gone by in a blur.

That's all irrelevant anyway. You're missing the point entirely.

You don't vigilante-punish the transgression of speeding and bird flipping with a car chase followed by stabby stabby murder.

ETA: I would love to time travel back to when all the Dirty Harry/Walt Kowalski wannabes in this thread were 25 years-old, and see how you'd all react in response to some disgruntled 46 year-old blowhard angrily yelling at you to behave. I'm pretty sure there would be more than a few finger flippers here.
Actually you missed the point that was being responded to - that many of us have no sympathy for the speeding flip-offing ahole (either). The point isn't about "you don't punish" any more than its about "you don't flip off".

I guess all of you are talking from your armchairs and have never spent any time in the Bronx. There's a lot of dumb moves that can end up with naïve pseudo-tough guys injured, disabled or even dead.

The naivety here aside here, you throw down the gauntlet on the street in the Bronx and you'd better be prepared to back it up. Its not Star Trek equality for all and fair justice. But I guess some of you are dumb enough, or simply witless and ingenuous enough, to confuse a 46-yr old Bronx ex-con with past assault charges with a "blowhard". There's neighborhoods in LA you'd end up shot dead in the car for the same. Are you so clueless as to not know the emphasis placed on "respect" and "disrespect" in these neighborhoods? Where do you think flipping someone off falls in that spectrum?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,980,939 times
Quote:
many of us have no sympathy for the speeding flip-offing ahole
This is either just a bunch of internet tough guy bluster.

OR,

You, and a handful of others in this thread really are barbaric savages. NO SYMPATHY for a senseless loss of life. Well done! Call your moms up to tell them what a bang up job they did raising such exemplary members of society.

Quote:
The naivety here aside here, you throw down the gauntlet on the street in the Bronx and you'd better be prepared to back it up. Its not Star Trek equality for all and fair justice. But I guess some of you are dumb enough, or simply witless and ingenuous enough, to confuse a 46-yr old Bronx ex-con with past assault charges with a "blowhard". There's neighborhoods in LA you'd end up shot dead in the car for the same. Are you so clueless as to not know the emphasis placed on "respect" and "disrespect" in these neighborhoods? Where do you think flipping someone off falls in that spectrum?

Talk about "naivety" [sic].

(1) People need to read the articles posted and not make things up out of thin air (tailgating; car wrecks; dead soldiers' funerals; ex cons; your vision of the 'hood' as observed in rap videos from the 90s)

(2) Realize that things are not all black & white.

The person who "threw down the gauntlet" in this scenario is not the bird flipper, it's the stabber. He started the initial altercation with the first motorist, yelling at that person to not throw garbage in the street, and then he started the altercation with the bird flipper by yelling at them not to speed. A reasonable response to getting yelled at is flipping the bird. A reasonable response to flipping the bird is not a stabbing.

Garcia had chased after the garbage thrower too. If he had succeeded in catching up with that person, do you think that he would also have deserved "no sympathy", had he also been stabbed for not showing "respect"?

What do you think the proper responses to Garcia should have been, from the garbage thrower and from the alleged speeder? Bowing & scraping, and kneeling down to ask for forgiveness? If I yelled at another grown adult, barking orders at them, I would expect to get at least a side eye or a "Mind your own f**king business."

As for the other points in the story, the articles say that Garcia had 3 prior arrests for assault. That doesn't necessarily mean he was charged or convicted, or that he's an "ex-con". Furthermore, he voluntarily turned himself into police. And further to that, he's the kind of neighborhood Nazi who cares about people littering and people driving too fast, so whatever gang banger boogeyman fantasy you are trying to push is just that...a fairy story you made up in your head.

How familiar are YOU with the Bronx? This didn't happen outside the Castle Hill projects. This happened in the northeast corner, at the edge of Eastchester, practically in Pelham Manor. This happened within walking distance to a country club, a Cosco, a Home Goods, a Panera and a Michaels arts & crafts store. Not all of the Bronx equates to the hood, or South Central LA, or whatever picture it is you have in your head of what all the Bronx must be. Are you friends with the guy up-thread who was afraid to visit Times Square because all of Manhattan seems to be a '3rd world country' based on ambulance sirens he heard in Washington Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events