Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:02 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,634,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There is a lot of sexism in photography. Serious female photographers are treated terribly by male photographers, even armatures well below their level. This is an example of that thinking.
I think a while back this was somewhat true. But women have taken the industry by storm and while a lot of them are hacks " I don't pose or I use gods light etc." some of the most incredible photographers are women.
For those than appreciate more than just a record but want a beautiful meaningful portrait women are perfect for this business. Most of the clientele are women and they can relate to each other better. I also believe overall women have a certain sensitivity that lends itself well to photography.
If you go to a professional photographers gathering of portrait and wedding photographers, women are easily half or more of the attendees and speakers.
I think the disrespect comes from the old timers most of whom are retired or dead. Some are still hanging on in the business and I think many are angry at the changes and take it out on the women.
The last 8 workshops I attended for professionals, 7 of the 8 were taught by women who were incredible image makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,685,727 times
The photographer deserves to win this. This couple didn't read their contract. They RAN to every media source they could and complained about how horrible she was. I think it's hilarious that the couple was stunned that they not only lost the suit, but got clobbered. They STILL don't get it. You can't go around destroying people and LIE about everything.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
NOW the couple has "no interest in speaking". Hmmmmm, a tad late I'd say. Sounds as if the photog will have trouble collecting the awarded amount. Maybe the couple should be forced to spend some jail time for defaulting on the judgment.
A month in jail, then they are let out to begin paying the judgement. If timely payments don't occur, 2 months in jail, then try again... keep adding a month until timely payments are continued.
One word....garnishment! The judgement is good for 10 years and can be renewed until it's paid. I would ABSOLUTELY go for a garnishment with these two.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,305,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
One word....garnishment! The judgement is good for 10 years and can be renewed until it's paid. I would ABSOLUTELY go for a garnishment with these two.
Not. This is Texas. Wage garnishment is prohibited for most debts. Even in states where allowed there are limitations. Max 25% of disposable earnings or 30x minimum wage, whichever is lower. It would likely take a couple hundred years at this rate.

The photographer is not going to see a dime. The couple is going to file bankruptcy and get it discharged. This is precisely the kind of scenario that bankruptcy is designed for - crushing debt that is beyond one's means to repay. The interest accrual will likely exceed the max payment this couple could make.

The photographer can use the discharge as an offsetting tax deduction for future business income though.

If the photographer is actually concerned about receiving money, she is going to have to get her lawyers to negotiate with the couple for a much lower settlement.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I hope the Moldovan's child doesn't have to suffer due to this judgement.

I agree that what they did was wrong. Very wrong. But a million bucks seems a little excessive. They may be paying on that for life. That last "0" in $1000000 needs to go.
Oh well! They should have thought of that before they intentionally went out to destroy someone's life. They destroyed her business. She closed her business a few year ago. She completely went through her savings and her retirement to live on. She lost YEARS worth of income. Zero sympathy for them.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not. This is Texas. Wage garnishment is prohibited for most debts. Even in states where allowed there are limitations. Max 25% of disposable earnings or 30x minimum wage, whichever is lower. It would likely take a couple hundred years at this rate.

The photographer is not going to see a dime. The couple is going to file bankruptcy and get it discharged. This is precisely the kind of scenario that bankruptcy is designed for - crushing debt that is beyond one's means to repay. The interest accrual will likely exceed the max payment this couple could make.

The photographer can use the discharge as an offsetting tax deduction for future business income though.

If the photographer is actually concerned about receiving money, she is going to have to get her lawyers to negotiate with the couple for a much lower settlement.
A judgment has been issued. Do you have a source for saying they an't file for a garnishment? Or that a garnishment can't be renewed? In other states, a judgement can be used to garnish a paycheck and it's renewable until paid in full.

Judgements aren't subject to discharge in bankruptcy which is federal not state.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,334,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
It's the same thing here in Raleigh. There's a photogenic park here with old tobacco barns and a stone wall a few miles away. Every single day (especially after 5PM) there are 5 - 7 female photographers shooting young families, babies, couples, prom pics, etc. It's kind of obnoxious to be honest. The majority appear to be amateurs: no lens changes, terrible posture/angles, shooting into the sun, bland compositions, stiff poses, etc. They're dirt cheap too. I overheard one woman discuss $40 for a 30 minute session. Just reeks of "stay at home mom with an entry level Canon". Their photoshop skills are fairly minimal too. Overly saturated and liberally "softened". One girl we used for some pics with the kids used the same cheesy filter for all of our images!!!

When I go shooting at a beach on vacation I get "looks" like you described but never been called a pervert. Women doing the same thing with their cameras are pretty much invisible. It's super annoying and a double standard of sexism.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

I was taught that you are to use PROPER colors with your images, use a custom white balance or change it to "shade" etc or use the "medicine drop" feature in RAW processing so that your colors are CORRECT, you may then "tweak" them a little bit but that's it. Nowadays people think that's "boring" and yes those "AMWIC" (Another Mom With A Camera) types are more than happy to provide that "taste." One lady I know had a photo of herself where the image was supersaturated and she said that was how she liked it and I said "well some people prefer Spaghettios to spaghetti made in an Italian restaurant but I personally think they're nuts." Anymore that is what people want, those images with colors jacked up to cartoonish levels and that stupid "Dutch Angle" which to me means you can't hold the camera straight because you're drunk, and again good grief if I see one more photo posed on the train tracks I'm going to vomit my intestines out.

On top of that, when I've had conversations with them, they didn't know the first thing about ISO, depth of field, how to use white balance to get the colors right. One such person who shot us years ago shot at ISO 6400 in the middle of the day! Hello!! Oh and of course you have to have 100 "props" in the photos because the subject alone somehow isn't compelling enough.

Whatever happened to the days of simply finding open shade in a park (if you didn't have a studio), having people pose normally (not "walking away holding hands on the railroad tracks" please) and it being ONLY the people in the photos, using a 50mm lens set at something like f/2.5 for the dreamy background, and then getting the colors correct in RAW processing if you didn't get it right the first time with your white balance settings?

In years past graduate shots meant cap and gown and good lighting, now who cares if the lighting is harsh but oh goodness I'm into motorcycles so I have to be photographed with my motorcycle incorporated into the shoot. Now you have to have a gimmick of some sort, it's silly really. Whatever happened to the "tried and true?" (Think Tom Petty and John Mellencamp if you're speaking of music.)

Now, the women photographers I see who DO stick to the "tried and true" ways, and they aren't those "I only use God's light" hacks, you do find them every now and then, and they can shoot with the best of any of them, and they DO know about depth of field and ISO and they eschew those stupid railroad tracks gimmicks and such, I respect them as much as anything else. If you are talking about someone like Annie Leibovitz I have NO PROBLEM with someone like her and I respect her just as much as I do any male. I just hate the bad tastes I'm seeing and hate those bad tastes being validated when people who ask for such nonsense ought to be told how ridiculous they are. Also as I said I'm sick of being given the stink eye for using my camera in public while women who do the same thing it's no big deal. THAT absolutely IS sexism.

I'm not decrying that there ARE female photographers, but that there are ONLY female photographers, and the bad tastes I'm seeing which is going on at the same time and being validated. Hey, if you were capable of making the best spaghetti known to mankind or at least you had some inkling of how it was done, and someone came along selling Spaghettios and people acted like that was better food, you'd be insulted. It would be like Picasso being told that crayon sketches by a 4 year old were better than his paintings. It's an insult.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,305,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A judgment has been issued. Do you have a source for saying they an't file for a garnishment? Or that a garnishment can't be renewed? In other states, a judgement can be used to garnish a paycheck and it's renewable until paid in full.

Judgements aren't subject to discharge in bankruptcy which is federal not state.

Texas Wage Garnishment Law | Nolo.com
And even in other states, federal law has pretty low limits on how much can be garnished. We aren't talking about a few thousand dollars.

Do you really think this couple is going to resign themselves to a life time of poverty paying a million dollar judgment? What would you do?

You appear to be wrong on judgments and bankruptcy as well. Except for a few automatically non-dischargeable debts (the usual suspects - child support, student loans, taxes) judgments may be dischargeable.
Will Bankruptcy Get Rid of Lawsuit Judgments? | Nolo.com

now, your turn to show that this judgment is not dischargeable under bankruptcy.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 PM

810 posts, read 670,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think a while back this was somewhat true. But women have taken the industry by storm and while a lot of them are hacks " I don't pose or I use gods light etc." some of the most incredible photographers are women.
For those than appreciate more than just a record but want a beautiful meaningful portrait women are perfect for this business. Most of the clientele are women and they can relate to each other better. I also believe overall women have a certain sensitivity that lends itself well to photography.
If you go to a professional photographers gathering of portrait and wedding photographers, women are easily half or more of the attendees and speakers.
I think the disrespect comes from the old timers most of whom are retired or dead. Some are still hanging on in the business and I think many are angry at the changes and take it out on the women.
The last 8 workshops I attended for professionals, 7 of the 8 were taught by women who were incredible image makers.
Wedding and Portrait photography is dominated by women at least in my area by a very heavy margin. Same with dental hygienists and daycare workers. There's a very heavy bias by women who prefer women despite skill level. For example a friend of mine (male) shot newborn portraits using a variety of lenses and flash lighting. Lots of props.....the works. He was supposed to shoot a series of photos at different stages during the first year of the baby's life but the client cancelled after the first session despite stunning results. No reason was given but he was paid for the session. I saw them on facebook and the feedback was extremely limited. My guess is everyone was turned off that a male with an Arabic sounding name was the author of these incredible images. That mother (whom my wife is friends with on facebook) hired another young mother to shoot the rest of the series and published them on facebook. Her pictures were far less impressive. Same DOF for every exposure, same cheesy filters, flat lighting, baby always in the center, poor cropping, etc. Predictably all the female friends were oooooohing and aaaaaahhing and requesting the contact info of the photographer. Females that commented tagged other females to direct business her way. Complete sham

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
I've read a lot about this case. Apparently, the bride was a well known blogger and she had "followers" of her blog, other women who also helped the online campaign against the photographer, by posting vicious things about her business, lots of fake reviews that were negative, and other things. The bride was just a real bully here, a mean girl who had mean girl followers.It seems the photographer was a classic victim of cyber bullying, which led to the ruin of her business.

The issue here is not really a settlement award. The photographer wants her reputation back. She wants her business back. The lawsuit verdict helped her get back some of her dignity and public reputation. She may be back in business soon. I hope she makes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events