Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Photographer Wins $1M Defamation Lawsuit Against Dishonest Couple « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

I'm a strong advocate of free speech and I'm very much against businesses who sue people who post truthful unflattering reviews of those businesses, but this went beyond any of that.

I'm glad the photographer won.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I kind of remember this when it was happening. The article doesn't give too much info. I found an open letter from the photographer. Andrea Polito Photography Blog » Photography Blog

It sounds like she had a good case. It wasn't that the story accidently went viral, there was intent to ruin her business by someone with the means to do so.

I would never be a wedding photographer! Sounds miserable.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Here is a more detailed article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3e6566a74736

I don't know for sure but I am guessing the narcissistic blogger-bride wanted all her 4000 images high resolution, not the 80 the package she bought paid for and was looking for a way to bully the photographer into it.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:11 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
NOW the couple has "no interest in speaking". Hmmmmm, a tad late I'd say. Sounds as if the photog will have trouble collecting the awarded amount. Maybe the couple should be forced to spend some jail time for defaulting on the judgment.
A month in jail, then they are let out to begin paying the judgement. If timely payments don't occur, 2 months in jail, then try again... keep adding a month until timely payments are continued.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Here is a more detailed article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3e6566a74736

I don't know for sure but I am guessing the narcissistic blogger-bride wanted all her 4000 images high resolution, not the 80 the package she bought paid for and was looking for a way to bully the photographer into it.
Thanks for posting that; I had not seen that but I've seen what the photographer posted on her business's Facebook page (a statement from her attorney).

It looks like she's been royally screwed all the way around.

I personally wouldn't have used her for my wedding (I'm in Dallas too) because she's very expensive. I also don't like having to buy an album of physical photographs to get all of the images taken at the event. I used a local photographer whose pictures were only kind of "eh", but he was 1/10th of the price this couple was charged and to be honest, DH and I don't really care a whole lot about that. We haven't even printed any of the pictures yet and our wedding was quite a while ago.

That said, wedding photographers clearly state what is and is not included in their packages. Almost all packages contain some kind of a la carte service or undetermined fee (such as an album cover) that starts at a certain value and goes up from there. This is because it's impossible for the photographer to know which images the couple will choose, whether they'll want more than they originally contracted for, what album/album cover they'll choose, etc. The service doesn't end when the wedding does.

I think wedding photographers are very expensive...maybe a little too expensive for what they are. However, this particular photographer does excellent work and did not mislead the couple in any way that I can see. She definitely didn't deserve to have her name dragged through the mud.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
NOW the couple has "no interest in speaking". Hmmmmm, a tad late I'd say. Sounds as if the photog will have trouble collecting the awarded amount. Maybe the couple should be forced to spend some jail time for defaulting on the judgment.
A month in jail, then they are let out to begin paying the judgement. If timely payments don't occur, 2 months in jail, then try again... keep adding a month until timely payments are continued.
Prediction: They'll file for bankruptcy. They'll most likely be able to keep the house they own but if I was that photog I'd be trying to slap a lien on it as soon as county offices open.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thanks for posting that; I had not seen that but I've seen what the photographer posted on her business's Facebook page (a statement from her attorney).

It looks like she's been royally screwed all the way around.

I personally wouldn't have used her for my wedding (I'm in Dallas too) because she's very expensive. I also don't like having to buy an album of physical photographs to get all of the images taken at the event. I used a local photographer whose pictures were only kind of "eh", but he was 1/10th of the price this couple was charged and to be honest, DH and I don't really care a whole lot about that. We haven't even printed any of the pictures yet and our wedding was quite a while ago.

That said, wedding photographers clearly state what is and is not included in their packages. Almost all packages contain some kind of a la carte service or undetermined fee (such as an album cover) that starts at a certain value and goes up from there. This is because it's impossible for the photographer to know which images the couple will choose, whether they'll want more than they originally contracted for, what album/album cover they'll choose, etc. The service doesn't end when the wedding does.

I think wedding photographers are very expensive...maybe a little too expensive for what they are. However, this particular photographer does excellent work and did not mislead the couple in any way that I can see. She definitely didn't deserve to have her name dragged through the mud.
I think wedding photography is pricey because its an all day event, usually. And the photographer usually needs a second shooter or assistant. They don't get breaks. And then they have to go through 1000s of digital files. On top of that, if you aren't feeling well, you have to suck it up and go because "its the big day". But why they deserve to be paid well is because of bridezillas

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think wedding photography is pricey because its an all day event, usually. And the photographer usually needs a second shooter or assistant. They don't get breaks. And then they have to go through 1000s of digital files. On top of that, if you aren't feeling well, you have to suck it up and go because "its the big day". But why they deserve to be paid well is because of bridezillas
Ours lasted maybe 3 hours start to finish and we didn't have an assistant...but I see your point, weddings have gotten a little ridiculous.

Most photogs that I looked at based their prices on at least 6 hours of work at the event itself.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
The miserable couple wanted more than they paid for because they didn't read or understand what they purchased. They got what they deserved.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The miserable couple wanted more than they paid for because they didn't read or understand what they purchased. They got what they deserved.
I think they totally knew what they had purchased, but instead they were just entitled narcissists. The online bullying shows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events