Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:53 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Weather is funny. Here in TX where it's usually 100+ in August, we are having a cold spell where it's only in the 80's for at least the next 10 days.
Its not usually over 100 in Texas because the average high in a lot of Texas is in the mid 90s maybe upper 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yes, it's true, I'm on the Olympic Peninsula & for the past 2 days, the smoke from BC has been thick & the air is hot, was around 95 yesterday.

I know that doesn't sound crazy-hot...I grew up in the Mojave Desert of California, and that is HOT, often over 110F in summers...but here in northwest Washington, anything over 85 feels like 100...maybe it has something to do with the latitude.
It's actually a physiological thing. Your body becomes accustomed to life in a particular climate. When there's a sudden change, it can become very hard to adjust to higher temperatures. Children and the elderly have an especially difficult time in this regard.

Here in SW Colorado we have been having an unusually damp and muggy monsoon season. Usually when the monsoon comes it brings a refreshing change from the summer heat. Not this year. The humidity has been over 60% for at least the past two weeks. That may sound like nothing to people who live in a more humid climate, but we are more used to 20% or less humidity out here - that dry mountain air and all. Everyone I know has been drooping under the impact. Plus we have had massive mosquito outbreaks. Between the mosquitos and the heavy damp air, I don't even want to go outside to work in my garden.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:57 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Weather is funny. Here in TX where it's usually 100+ in August, we are having a cold spell where it's only in the 80's for at least the next 10 days.
Depends on your area. San Antonio area is going to be close to 100 pretty much every day for the next ten day, and nighttime lows close to 80. Today is only 90 though.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
I guess this continues to prove "Global Warming" (or confirmation bias).
Either that or the Illuminati are messing with the HAARP apparatus again.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Does anyone here know what role barometric pressure plays in our sensation of heat? I'm accustomed to very hot temps, but this year the air just feels very heavy. It's kicking my ass this year.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.20a50efe266c

An overpowering dome of hot air has entrenched itself over the Pacific Northwest and is primed to cook population centers like Seattle and Portland in record-crushing heat through Friday.

Excessive heat warnings blanket the western third of Northern California, Oregon and Washington state. High temperatures just inland from coastal locations are forecast to soar to between 100 and 110 degrees.

“We are talking about one of the major sustained heat waves in a long time around here,” writes Cliff Mass, professor of meteorology at the University of Washington. He said that “there is a lot of confidence” temperatures will at least reach the mid-90s in Seattle and notes the GFS model projects a high of 100 on Thursday — a reading he can’t “remember ever seeing”.

Wow! And they're not used to heat like that. The story says that only about a third of the homes in Seattle have air conditioning, and the city is setting up cooling stations where people can go to get some relief. That has got to be hard on the old folks and the little kids. They're hoping that smoke from British Columbia will help cool things down. Smoke from BC? Sound like the PNW is having one heck of a summer.
BC erupted into forest fires weeks ago, due to a late snowfall that melted off too fast to soak into the ground. There's also a forest fire south of Bellingham. Friends in Seattle tell me there seem to be fires in the city the news isn't talking about, because they've been hearing fire engines all over town throughout yesterday.

Precisely this was predicted in the early 70's, as the result of steady global warming; excessive heat triggering forest fires that contribute to CO2 in the atmosphere, which in turn accelerates climate warming, causing a vicious cycle that results in an exponential rise in temps around the planet. This is the beginning of the end; what Seattle and BC are experiencing are not an anomaly. It's a harbinger of the "new normal" to come.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Depends on your area. San Antonio area is going to be close to 100 pretty much every day for the next ten day, and nighttime lows close to 80. Today is only 90 though.
Northern New Mexico is cooler than usual for August, and is predicted to stay that way for the month. Strange.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
The smoke from the BC forest fires (and maybe other factors?) has significantly moderated the temperatures. In Seattle at least, we're in reality only getting up around 90 or a little more as a high.

Air quality is really crummy but the temps aren't too bad.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Does anyone here know what role barometric pressure plays in our sensation of heat? I'm accustomed to very hot temps, but this year the air just feels very heavy. It's kicking my ass this year.
The "heaviness" is due to higher humidity.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yes, it's true, I'm on the Olympic Peninsula & for the past 2 days, the smoke from BC has been thick & the air is hot, was around 95 yesterday.

I know that doesn't sound crazy-hot...I grew up in the Mojave Desert of California, and that is HOT, often over 110F in summers...but here in northwest Washington, anything over 85 feels like 100...maybe it has something to do with the latitude.
Its the higher humidity in NW WA, plus acclimation to cooler weather there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events