Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times

Advertisements

It's been a cooler summer down here in the southeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd like to note here that although the I-5 corridor in the PacNW is having a major heat wave, the Olympic Peninsula is having normal temps in the mid-70's. I assume that's because they're closer to the coast, but I haven't studied it. I wonder how the Oregon coast is doing. Portland always has more extreme weather, due to its location away from the ocean: colder winters, warmer summers.
Ocean moderate land temperatures. That's why the center of the US (S. Dak, N. Dak, Minn, etc) have such hot summers and such cold winters (most of the time anyway).

Someone posted yesterday that temps in Port Townsend were in the 70s.

Here on the Kitsap peninsula, temps are as high as ever. In fact, the smoke is clearing out a bit and it hit 80 a lot sooner today than it did yesterday. I think today is going to be the scorcher yesterday was supposed to be.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's just been a crazy year in general in the northwest. They only had 3 days of sunlight between October and May, and one of the harsher winters on record. The entire city is covered in smoke right now. There's a heat wave that just won't move. They haven't had rain in like 40 days or some such craziness, so their local area is basically kindling waiting to ignite.
That's not craziness, it's normal for Seattle. Summer=90 days without rain. The rain starts in October, typically. Don't deny Seattleites their few rain-free months! What's unusual is the several days of extreme heat. Let's hope it breaks, soon.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Ocean moderate land temperatures. That's why the center of the US (S. Dak, N. Dak, Minn, etc) have such hot summers and such cold winters (most of the time anyway).

Someone posted yesterday that temps in Port Townsend were in the 70s.

Here on the Kitsap peninsula, temps are as high as ever. In fact, the smoke is clearing out a bit and it hit 80 a lot sooner today than it did yesterday. I think today is going to be the scorcher yesterday was supposed to be.
That was me, posting that Pt T is in the 70's. And I asked you where you are presently, planning your move to Pt. T. and if you were retired or not. I'm interested, because I was contemplating a move there, myself.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's just been a crazy year in general in the northwest. They only had 3 days of sunlight between October and May, and one of the harsher winters on record. The entire city is covered in smoke right now. There's a heat wave that just won't move. They haven't had rain in like 40 days or some such craziness, so their local area is basically kindling waiting to ignite.
Agreed. I live in Kitsap County. It's been almost 2 months straight of sunny, warm days. And, it's supposed to be like that until the end of August at least. Combine with the hazy smoke and the bone dry area, it makes it horrible. This past Winter was pretty bad too, it rained a lot more than normal and was cloudy for almost 6 months straight. But, I can't wait till it cools down again.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That was me, posting that Pt T is in the 70's. And I asked you where you are presently, planning your move to Pt. T. and if you were retired or not. I'm interested, because I was contemplating a move there, myself.
Where are you hanging your hat at moment, Ruth4Truth?

Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.20a50efe266c

An overpowering dome of hot air has entrenched itself over the Pacific Northwest and is primed to cook population centers like Seattle and Portland in record-crushing heat through Friday.

Excessive heat warnings blanket the western third of Northern California, Oregon and Washington state. High temperatures just inland from coastal locations are forecast to soar to between 100 and 110 degrees.

“We are talking about one of the major sustained heat waves in a long time around here,” writes Cliff Mass, professor of meteorology at the University of Washington. He said that “there is a lot of confidence” temperatures will at least reach the mid-90s in Seattle and notes the GFS model projects a high of 100 on Thursday — a reading he can’t “remember ever seeing”.

Wow! And they're not used to heat like that. The story says that only about a third of the homes in Seattle have air conditioning, and the city is setting up cooling stations where people can go to get some relief. That has got to be hard on the old folks and the little kids. They're hoping that smoke from British Columbia will help cool things down. Smoke from BC? Sound like the PNW is having one heck of a summer.
i $100 AC unit in the window ends the issue. they look like trash but years ago in hotter climate we got by with one and it kept the main living area cool...

it is not FL, even in this crazy heat at night it will cool enough that you can open your windows run a fan and cool down the whole house...

and of course thurday was fine, the massive cloud of ash took care of that, still here today.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
No, it is HOT and NASTY on the Olympic Peninsula, & the Kitsap a Peninsula, yesterday was the worst on the OP, and YES, there are MASSIVE fires in British Columbia, and all that smoke is going HERE. Believe people who live in it.

I lived in San Diego in October 2007...there were massive fires all around the city, in the canyons, the suburbs, leaping the freeways, in the mountains. It was brutally hot with smoke & ash everywhere. It was terrifying. It has been like that here this week in Washington. British Columbia is having major issues with their forestry practices, & the consequences are happening in the PNW of the USA. Yes, global warming is real.

Ruth4Truth lives in New Mexico; I don't purport to know what the weather is there.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Late to the thread, but just wanted to chime in and mention that this heatwave didn't affect everyone in I-5 corridor equally. Despite the otherworldly amber skies, here in Bellingham it's barely cracked 80 (82 Wednesday, 81 Thursday, nights in the 50's), and we've yet to actually smell the smoke responsible for the haze. A couple of very weird looking days, to be sure. But not uncomfortably warm, believe it or not.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...I&num=72&raw=0

Old 08-04-2017, 05:32 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
more proof of global warming...insects will decimate the beautiful trees of the PNW
The Mediterranean is also suffering record heat-- since records have been kept--maybe a century or so. Keep in mind, Caesar didn't see any glaciers when he crossed into Transalpine Gaul 2 millennia ago.

OTOH- we're 10 deg below average here in the upper midwest. It all averages out-- only so much energy hits the planet each day from the Sun and it is unevenly distributed due to the Hadley cell phenomenon and the Coriallis Effect.

And some of us are old enough to remember when only a few bars and movie theaters had air conditioning. We survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events