Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:12 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Just won 50 bucks today on the "Set for Life" 10 dollar scratcher!

I'm all in though for tomorrow's Powerball, YOLO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not calling you out but Las Vegas has never had a lottery (even to this day).

Taking the lump sum buyout from a 3rd party(aka JC Wentworth) literally gets you pennies on the dollar.
Don't know where the lottery ticket purchased was from but the story I told is 100 percent true. I don't know exactly how the lump sum payout was structured or who he arranged it with.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Don't know where the lottery ticket purchased was from but the story I told is 100 percent true. I don't know exactly how the lump sum payout was structured or who he arranged it with.
I checked and it's only a half hour drive from Vegas to Primm on the California stateline. They have a huge lottery store. Best photos I could find are on Yelp.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/primm-valley-lotto-store-primm

It's only slightly longer -- maybe 40 minutes according to my sources -- to get to the Arizona border and I assume they have a lottery store set up to take Nevadans' money into their coffers too.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:59 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
My neighbor won the lottery for 2 million, but he was already upper middle class, so it really didn't change his lifestyle one way or the other. They set up trusts for their kids and socked the rest away for retirement. Other than that, it was business as usual.
I knew a blue collar family who won 2 million, good people and it helped them out a lot. They didn't change their lifestyle much either because they were older but they were able to retire early, travel and help their kids out.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:20 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
If I ever win the lottery, you all will still be able to say No, because I won't tell any of you.. I won't tell any of my family.. I'm in a state that allows winners to stay anonymous and you can bet your butt that my name will be A. Nonymous.

I think that's where about half these lottery winners get into trouble.. They let everyone know they won and people come out of the woodwork looking for handouts.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I knew a girl and her husband though a friend of mine. We had been introduced years prior.. she and her husband had a couple of children and I don't think he worked much.. I believe they wound up on welfare for years.

They won 4 million dollars and spent it like it would last forever. I saw her in the local newspapers with the story and she was buying a 50 k SUV from town. She had always been friendly to me when she saw me in a grocery store saying hello this was before she won..

After she won the money I saw her a couple of years later in Sears , and a few other places and she looked well dressed and her hair was cut and colored nicely. She must have saw me but I didn't want to approach her and she never said hello. I felt too many people probably had approached her because of her "big" win.

A few more years passed and I got word from the other friend who knew her that she was gambling in Atlantic City . A few years past and I saw her at a local restaurant and her husband was at the bar. She didn't look too prosperous as she came over to say hello. She had went through all the money .. then I heard her husband had laid down on the railroad tracks trying to kill himself and the police intervened.. A year or so later he died of diabetes and she went to live with her sister. The last time I saw her was at a mall and she looked poor and told me how she was living at her sisters house. After she lost her money she then became very friendly again.

Last edited by Taratova; 08-23-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They won 4 million dollars and spent it like it would last forever.

It sure sounds like a lot, but after converting to the cash value amount, paying income taxes, and then taking a sensible percentage withdrawal one is looking at (ballpark) $50k annually to be fairly safe.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 AM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
I used to know Mavis Wanczyk.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:11 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I know a lottery winner. Very close to him in fact. It's me!! I won $40 on a scratch ticket the other day. SCORE!!

Old 08-25-2017, 11:39 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
I did some estate planning work for a couple that netted just under 1 million after taxes from a lottery. They used it to pay off their house and setup college funds for their grandkids. They were a bit surprised how fast you can burn through that much money without much effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events