Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM

625 posts, read 952,396 times

Advertisements

I know that the Mega Millions jackpot will be $323 Million tonight, and the Powerball jackpot will be $286 Million on Saturday. I am curious about all this. Do any of you know any lottery winners personally? If so, what happened to them and what changes occurred in their lives? I was always fascinated about stories of lottery winners, but I never met any lottery winners in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 11:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I've won few dollars here and there..

Was in a office lottery group, we won $5K / 10 people so we all wound up with $500.

One Office co/worker I Knew at a office level, but not at personal level, Won "Big enough" to "retire" early, I think it was a $50M jackpot (She netted about $13M)

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-04-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
About 30 years ago I knew a co-worker who had won a lottery. The story (from other people at the company) is that she and her sister had bought the ticket, and split the money. This was prior to Powerball, so it was probably a state lottery. I was never told how much money it was, but obviously not hundreds of millions, and perhaps not even a million dollars(?).

At any rate, the story as I heard it is a positive one. She was a single mom on welfare when she got the money. She used it to get a 2-year degree and then a job. Good for her. I don't know where she is today, and I never did meet the sister nor hear what she did with the money.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Big deal, most people who win the lottery are poor people on welfare. That's because most of the tickets sold are to poor people on welfare. And that is because the lottery is a terrible deal that no one should play. Many poor people play it because they see no other way out of their situation. The state takes 50% of your wager and dumps it in the treasury and the other half goes to some random player. The lottery is a wealth transfer scheme for poor people with a transaction fee worse than the mafia doing money laundering.

Now that I'm done ripping the lottery... why is this thread in "Current Events" anyway? MegaPoor and PowerPoor (what those two games should be called) have jackpots that exceed $100 million frequently.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
10 Dumbest Lottery Winners Ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCaB2IScCM

Old 08-04-2017, 02:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Big deal, most people who win the lottery are poor people on welfare. That's because most of the tickets sold are to poor people on welfare. And that is because the lottery is a terrible deal that no one should play. Many poor people play it because they see no other way out of their situation. The state takes 50% of your wager and dumps it in the treasury and the other half goes to some random player. The lottery is a wealth transfer scheme for poor people with a transaction fee worse than the mafia doing money laundering.

Now that I'm done ripping the lottery... why is this thread in "Current Events" anyway? MegaPoor and PowerPoor (what those two games should be called) have jackpots that exceed $100 million frequently.

Do the poor buy most of the lottery tickets or do they just spend a more disproportionate amount of their income buying tickets?

I had a coworker win 5mm and she gave me 3 months notice before she quit

Old 08-04-2017, 02:57 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Big deal, most people who win the lottery are poor people on welfare.

I guess you're responding to my post?

The "big deal" is not that she was on welfare, but rather that she used the money to better herself instead of spending it all in a couple of years.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
yes ... 2 people.

one was a retired multi-millionaire with a penchant for buying lottery tickets. He won modest amounts several times, mostly 6-figure payouts. Likely didn't make any money on this, he bought many thousands of tickets.

the other was also a businessman who had a gambling habit in his later years. He hit one lottery for $100K and another for $10K. Spent the winnings on the lottery and lost it all in less than two years.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 PM

939 posts, read 788,003 times
I knew someone at work who won 35-50 million.

He bought it at the liquor store across from work days or week(s) earlier, then stopped back in one Friday night for some after work snacks.

The owner mentioned that someone bought the winning at his store and it may be him.

He didn't pay any attention to it until he got halfway home, then decided he should make a U-turn and rush back to work as he had it locked in a community toolbox.

There it was.

He was an older fellow and I heard he he went through it pretty quickly via the wine, women, and song-route, as well as gifts or loans to long lost schoolmates and family members.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I know that the Mega Millions jackpot will be $323 Million tonight, and the Powerball jackpot will be $286 Million on Saturday. I am curious about all this. Do any of you know any lottery winners personally? If so, what happened to them and what changes occurred in their lives? I was always fascinated about stories of lottery winners, but I never met any lottery winners in person.
A friend of a friend won $3 million. My friend played the organ in church for her friend when the lottery winning friend wanted to travel. Other than travelling more, their lives changed very little after winning. They were in their 70's and had no children.

My neighbor across the street years ago won $50,000. I started noticing "toys" showing up in their driveway, and asked another neighbor what was up. They blew every penny in the span of 2 weeks. Young couple with 2 young kids. Stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events