Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,030,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Yeah, I get you are talking about abortion...and we could argue about semantics. But mostly I wanted to ask how a pro-lifer learned about the great big parties we throw for women who have had an abortion? Quite the celebration. Cake, pinatas, lots of booze (cause now she can drink). Lots of fun

No one celebrates abortions...

Abortions and infanticide are not linked in any way except that when abortions aren't safe and legal, then the rate of infanticide sky rockets.
Ya know, even though I'm mostly right-leaning, I am somewhat pro-choice. I think it's something that's sometimes necessary but always sad.

Some people do seem to think it's some sort of cause for celebration or something.

Teen Vogue published an article entitled "Post Abortion Gift Guide," in which it shares fun gift ideas for teens to give to other teens who have recently had an abortion. The perfect situation for gifting a uterus-shaped (kinda?) heating pad, amirite? Ugh.

And there's an article on Jezebel about treating the symptoms of an unwanted pregnancy that encourages taking Vicodin and Adderall, smoking weed, bossing the father around and making him do stuff for you until you get the abortion, etc. It has a classy little disclaimer at the end that says that they aren't doctors and not to sue Jezebel if you choose to keep the baby and if it comes out "with a low birth weight or flippers" after taking their "advice." Then, in the comments section, people compare the fetus to a tumor or parasite.

Sorry...I think that kind of stuff is very tactless. I don't think we should go back to the wire clothes hanger days by any means, but I also don't think abortion is something to celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky all have safe-harbor laws where you can abandon an infant at a church, your local fire department or police with no questions asked and no criminal charges filed.
We have that in North Carolina, too. You can drop off a baby at the hospital, fire departments, police stations, etc...no questions asked. I think it's sad that it's necessary, but it's a wonderful program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The problem is ya'll are arguing over abortion and infanticide.
I was wondering how on earth did this girl, cheerleader, good student, parents, friends, carry to term a baby and no one noticed, no one reached out, no one helped her. But now I see. No one give a rats arse about her, they only care when there is a dead baby or aborted fetus.
So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:51 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Children should not have children. EVER.

This may be an unpopular belief, but actions are louder than words/

Teenagers are NOT EQIPT to care for, or to raise.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:05 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times
I don't understand people who do stuff like this to an innocent newborn. Take it to a hospital or fire station and leave it there. There are so many people that want to adopt in this country.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:49 AM

36,623 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Children should not have children. EVER.

This may be an unpopular belief, but actions are louder than words/

Teenagers are NOT EQIPT to care for, or to raise.
Ever wonder why humans are capable of reproduction at such an early age if they are not capable of caring for them? Doesnt seem right.
I was talking to a friend and her daughter started menstruating. She is 10.
Although that's young the average age since there has been any recording has gone from 14-16-14-13-12.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 899,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That's because we live in a society where mothers killing babies is normalized, legal, and celebrated.
Disagree. If all babies were accepted, and mothers taken care of before birth with support and medical and supported financially afterwards, there would be far less abortions.

U.S. society wants to punish the mother, period. Even a mother has the baby and wants to give it up anonymously, she only has a few days/places to do so.

I agree that no one should be forced to have an unwanted child. Once the child is conceived, there should be help, not condemnation. I am not condoning this heinous act, she should have been offered alternatives.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 899,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't understand people who do stuff like this to an innocent newborn. Take it to a hospital or fire station and leave it there. There are so many people that want to adopt in this country.
They can only do this for a few day after birth. To me, it should be longer...

Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,400,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
If you're talking about abortion, you don't think men have something to do with that? Any studies I've looked at indicate that men are as likely, if not more likely, to believe in abortion. Men often pressure women to have abortions. So, perhaps you should change the wording of your comment.
It's true. All that hullabaloo about women's nurturing or mothering instinct and bond is just a bunch of malarkey if some man (whom the mother has often known for mere months prior to the pregnancy) can compel her to have an abortion.

/s

Actually I think that in many cases, if not most, abortion and infanticide are the result of a combination of environmental and hormonal factors which is why it should not be considered criminal in the way homicide is.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,780,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That's because we live in a society where mothers killing babies is normalized, legal, and celebrated.

I really, really disagree with that. Even pro-choicers understand that an unplanned pregnancy involves huge, tough decisions, even for happily married, financially solid people. She was so afraid of letting anyone know she was pregnant that she killed it to hide the fact and avoid any responsibility. She had NINE MONTHS to find out that it's legal to leave an unwanted infant in an emergency room and walk away, no questions asked; that zillions of parents are crying out to adopt babies they can't have themselves; and she had years after becoming sexually mature to find out how to prevent an unwanted pregnancy or terminate it if birth control failed. She did NOTHING but wait until it was too late and commit a homicide. If it were celebrated, the police wouldn't have showed up. The police don't arrive at your house unless something is seriously wrong,. like your daughter gave birth in secret and then sneaked out back and set fire to the baby.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The problem is ya'll are arguing over abortion and infanticide.
I was wondering how on earth did this girl, cheerleader, good student, parents, friends, carry to term a baby and no one noticed, no one reached out, no one helped her. But now I see. No one give a rats arse about her, they only care when there is a dead baby or aborted fetus.
It has happened before. There was a well-known case in the 90s in an affluent NJ town. In that case the girl was at college. But she hid her pregnancy, and when she went into labor, she and her boyfriend checked into a motel, delivered the baby, and threw it in the dumpster behind the hotel. The only way it was discovered was that they didn't know enough to realize she hadn't passed the placenta, and she collapsed bleeding in her dorm that night.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_...Brian_Peterson

Old 08-09-2017, 06:26 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
The pro-life/pro-choice debate aside, what I don't really understand is if she didn't want the baby why did she HAVE the baby? Why didn't she get an abortion in the first place?
You have never heard of a young girl being in denial that she is even pregnant to begin with? I remember a girl back when I was a teenager. Friend of a friend. Even after she gave birth she wouldn't look at the baby, said it wasn't hers.

My sister worked in an ER for 20 years. Every so often, they'd get a girl in with severe abdominal pains, denying right up to birth that they were pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events