Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Great!

London Jogger Suspected of Shoving Woman Into Bus’s Path Is Arrested
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/w...cle-click&_r=0

Glad they caught the jogger, but you have to laugh at the "expert" that is interviewed. News at it's finest:

“What we’re clearly looking at here is an individual who believes he is more important and more valuable than somebody else,” Craig Jackson, a psychology professor who studies the relationship between work and crime, told “Good Morning Britain,” a popular television program. “He plays a game of chicken with this individual, and he’s clearly thinking, why should he move, it’s his pavement.”

Using words like "clearly" to describe his feeling of self-worth and "game of chicken"... really now? It wasn't a game of chicken he "clearly" deviated from his path to bump/push the woman who did nothing wrong other than walk near this man.
Just state the facts. The only thing clear is the jogger was the sole instigator responsible for someone almost losing their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Glad they caught the jogger, but you have to laugh at the "expert" that is interviewed. News at it's finest:

“What we’re clearly looking at here is an individual who believes he is more important and more valuable than somebody else,” Craig Jackson, a psychology professor who studies the relationship between work and crime, told “Good Morning Britain,” a popular television program. “He plays a game of chicken with this individual, and he’s clearly thinking, why should he move, it’s his pavement.”

Using words like "clearly" to describe his feeling of self-worth and "game of chicken"... really now? It wasn't a game of chicken he "clearly" deviated from his path to bump/push the woman who did nothing wrong other than walk near this man.
Just state the facts. The only thing clear is the jogger was the sole instigator responsible for someone almost losing their life.
I agree, and the psychologist lost his credibility by stating certainties about someone he had never even assessed via interview/psychological testing.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I used to walk around a city lake on my lunch hour. The paths were wide and used by both walkers and joggers.

I always kept to the right; one time a jogger was coming toward me, straight down the middle of the otherwise empty path. Instead of moving to HIS right, he slammed into me hard enough to leave bruises. Then ran off.

Some people are jerks.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Default Runner Rage

Some of these self-centered runners think the world should just make way for them, and that's what I felt I saw in this guy's body language, like, "Get out of my way, you stupid walker, can't you see I'm running here?"

I wasn't a bit surprised by this. Once when I was walking on a path around one of the the lakes in Minneapolis, I was shoved angrily to the side by a runner who apparently thought I wasn't getting out of his way fast enough (and who also apparently thought I had eyes in the back of my head). Mind you, I was a middle aged female and he was a fit, at least physically, male in his prime. He didn't even break stride, he just grabbed my shoulders and spun me out of his way exactly like this guy on the video did.

Another time, I was merely subjected to a full-on screaming fit. Then there's the time when I was treated to a huge slug of bloody sputum landing square on the front of my jacket, as apparently runners are too important, and too busy accomplishing the critical mission of running, to be bothered to blow their snot into a tissue like normal human beings. Oh, and I was also tripped by a runner coming towards me with a dog on a leash that stretched all the way across the path.

So no, not surprised at all.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:05 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Some of these self-centered runners think the world should just make way for them, and that's what I felt I saw in this guy's body language, like, "Get out of my way, you stupid walker, can't you see I'm running here?"

I wasn't a bit surprised by this. Once when I was walking on a path around one of the the lakes in Minneapolis, I was shoved angrily to the side by a runner who apparently thought I wasn't getting out of his way fast enough (and who also apparently thought I had eyes in the back of my head). Mind you, I was a middle aged female and he was a fit, at least physically, male in his prime. He didn't even break stride, he just grabbed my shoulders and spun me out of his way exactly like this guy on the video did.

Another time, I was merely subjected to a full-on screaming fit. Then there's the time when I was treated to a huge slug of bloody sputum landing square on the front of my jacket, as apparently runners are too important, and too busy accomplishing the critical mission of running, to be bothered to blow their snot into a tissue like normal human beings. Oh, and I was also tripped by a runner coming towards me with a dog on a leash that stretched all the way across the path.

So no, not surprised at all.
A small spray can of mace would really give those people a new perspective and appreciation for your equal rights to the pathway in question. Holding it in your hand would allow you to articulate the believable argument of, "Oh, I was carrying it to protect myself from overly aggressive dogs and the occasional rabid chipmunk, it just happened to go off when I was jostled by the Runner/Dog walker/street mime as I was taken by surprise, I am soooooo sorry!".
NOTE: A nice touch would be to extend a tissue as you recite your carefully rehearsed lines so the culprit can wipe the mace tears of repentance from their burning eyes.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Jogger rage - why runners are getting more aggressive

Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Great!

London Jogger Suspected of Shoving Woman Into Bus’s Path Is Arrested
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/10/w...cle-click&_r=0

Curiouser and curiouser, now, the "50 y.o." man arrested has morphed into a 41 y.o. U.S. 'millionaire', who allegedly has irrefutable proof that he was in the U.S. at the time of the incident.
Which begs the question, if this incident took place on May 5th. this year, (as has been stated), why has it been left until August to publicise it, and start looking for the jogger?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Curiouser and curiouser, now, the "50 y.o." man arrested has morphed into a 41 y.o. U.S. 'millionaire', who allegedly has irrefutable proof that he was in the U.S. at the time of the incident.
Which begs the question, if this incident took place on May 5th. this year, (as has been stated), why has it been left until August to publicise it, and start looking for the jogger?
Maybe it took that long to get the video. Some places are reluctant to release video for some reason.

This is an odd case, but there is a lot of anger in the world due to social media's hyped up mess that is sweeping the world like the plague. All for money of course. The more hype and extremism, the more anger.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Looks like the case is not closed. The guy arrested claims he was in the USA when this incident took place...

Oh tiddays!

Putney Bridge push bus driver says he was 'doing his job' | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
They better have done their homework because if they ran this guy through the wringer and publicized his name age etc. and made public comments without getting the right guy.....he's going to rightfully sue the crap out of the tabloids, police etc. like Richard Jewel did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events