Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 PM

33,341 posts, read 12,657,900 times

Advertisements

I just love this story.

Julie and Will Rom have been foster parents since 2008.

During that time, they have taken care of kids from 7 different families.

The 5 siblings came to them over a period of three years.

The judge said "I am excited and happy for the Rom family and their future together. They changed 5 siblings lives forever by adopting them into a safe, loving, and caring family. My greatest hope is that the Rom's 5 adoptions will encourage more and more good people to adopt children."

Couple becomes first-time parents by adopting 5 siblings

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,964,551 times
that is a great story.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,252,686 times
IMO parents that can't handle raising a child properly should be quicker to give them up for adoption. Rather than keeping their children until forced to give them up (because of their bad parenting), because at that point, their children are not as desirable to adopt (being beyond the baby and toddler age).

There are many barren couples out there willing and on waiting lists to adopt babies. The problem is that all the kids in foster homes should have be given up for adoption while they were still babies.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
IMO parents that can't handle raising a child properly should be quicker to give them up for adoption. Rather than keeping their children until forced to give them up (because of their bad parenting), because at that point, their children are not as desirable to adopt (being beyond the baby and toddler age).

There are many barren couples out there willing and on waiting lists to adopt babies. The problem is that all the kids in foster homes should have be given up for adoption while they were still babies.

We can't just yank babies away from people because they are poor or in a temporary bad situation, though. And taking babies away from their birth mothers, at birth, often results in RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) which is severe psychological trauma that takes years of expensive therapy to deal with. This is very common in adoptees.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,557,637 times
As a former adoptions social worker, I say YES! I love you people! I wish there were SO MANY more of you, and many fewer random procreators. I had many clients who did the same, i.e., adopted sibling groups...beautiful people!

And for those unaware, there is a federal program calle Aid to Adoptive parents (AAP), which provides funding to adoptive parents for the myriad of things these children need, like therapy & specialized medical care. If you want to donate money, that is where it should go, and I mean to public adoption agencies, who work their azzes off for these children.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We can't just yank babies away from people because they are poor or in a temporary bad situation, though. And taking babies away from their birth mothers, at birth, often results in RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) which is severe psychological trauma that takes years of expensive therapy to deal with. This is very common in adoptees.
RAD is more likely to be caused by neglectful or abusive parenting then by placing an infant with parents who meet the needs of the infant. Even if there is one or two disruptions. The earlier the better prognosis there is for the child.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM

11,829 posts, read 12,087,739 times
What a beautiful and heartwarming story. Those smiles! ❤️❤️❤️

Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 AM

2,506 posts, read 1,887,903 times
What a great story! It's so good to hear something positive for a change!

Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 AM

135 posts, read 95,000 times
As an adopted person, I would rather end adoption and increase family preservation. We are failing miserably if a family cannot stay together. Love you mom...forever

Being adopted hurts. Being adopted is hard. It is not beautiful; it is brutal, it is tragic, it is a cause for great sadness. For in order for a child to even be available for adoption, that child must first go through some sort of tragedy; whether that be abuse, hunger, homelessness, neglect, or even the simple fact that he or she is losing the life and family he or she was born into. This makes adoption a thing to mourn; not a cause for celebration or joy. To be joyful about adopting a child is to be glad that this tragedy happened. Want To Adopt? Adult Adoptee Support

Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,557,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
As an adopted person, I would rather end adoption and increase family preservation. We are failing miserably if a family cannot stay together. Love you mom...forever

Being adopted hurts. Being adopted is hard. It is not beautiful; it is brutal, it is tragic, it is a cause for great sadness. For in order for a child to even be available for adoption, that child must first go through some sort of tragedy; whether that be abuse, hunger, homelessness, neglect, or even the simple fact that he or she is losing the life and family he or she was born into. This makes adoption a thing to mourn; not a cause for celebration or joy. To be joyful about adopting a child is to be glad that this tragedy happened. Want To Adopt? Adult Adoptee Support

I am so sorry your adoption turned out the way it has for you. Life makes no promised to any of us.

I know that the children that I worked with had better lives. I saw it when I was invited to their high school & college graduations, weddings, baby showers.

I am also still in touch with birth parents, some who have pulled their lives together & some who have not, and of that latter group, I dread to think of what would have had happened to those children, had they stayed with the birth parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events