Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's a little more info. The emergency buzzer doesn't indicate which of 3 elevators it's coming from, so when personnel went to follow up on the buzzes, they didn't check the elevator they knew was not operational. Somehow, the man got in there from the parking lot, having wandered in from a nearby nursing home.

An investigation into the death by the Denver Police Department revealed that Komisarchik pushed the emergency button twice during an 8-minute span on July 6 but got no response, The Denver Post reported Thursday.
The calls went to MEI Total Elevator Solutions, which reported them to the apartment complex, Woodstream Village. Apartment complex staffers checked two elevators, but not the one containing Komisarchik
This makes more sense. I handle the elevator problems in our condo building.

Emergency buttons are usually part of a hands-free telephone system. It dials a special number of the elevator maintenance company and a person whose sole job is to receive these calls answers. He or she talks to the caller to determine what the problem is. If there is a problem a technician is sent out.

The problem is almost all of the time there is no problem. Somebody either pushed the button out of curiosity or by mistake, or most often, kids do it because they think it is a funny prank. When this happens the elevator company just calls somebody in the building.

There is a good chance the the man with dementia pushed the button and then got confused and maybe said nothing. Or maybe he just pushed every button he could see not knowing one of them was an emergency button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 01:25 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Um, he died "between July 6 and Aug 2"?

So he was missing AND the elevator was not used for nearly a month?
was this elevator in a closed building or something?

Ah, I see this got answered, it was a broken elevator. Maybe it should have been locked.

Last edited by steiconi; 08-12-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Do you have any idea how many people traveled in elevators in this country on Friday alone? Nearly every building over 3 stories tall has an elevator, they are constantly in motion full of people. That has to literally be millions or perhaps billions of people on that one day alone. How many died on Friday in an elevator accident?

Good grief.
And?

Doesn't change the anything for me. I do not get in elevators. Elevators are death traps.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Um, he died "between July 6 and Aug 2"?

So he was missing AND the elevator was not used for nearly a month?
was this elevator in a closed building or something?

Ah, I see this got answered, it was a broken elevator. Maybe it should have been locked.
Right. Well, apparently someone didn't feel it was necessary to lock it, because it was inside a big parking garage that was closed for construction of some kind. Still, you have a point; anyone could (and did, sadly) wander in. It could have been kids exploring, and getting trapped, anything can happen. People in positions of responsibility need to bear in mind the "anything can happen" factor.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. Well, apparently someone didn't feel it was necessary to lock it, because it was inside a big parking garage that was closed for construction of some kind. Still, you have a point; anyone could (and did, sadly) wander in. It could have been kids exploring, and getting trapped, anything can happen. People in positions of responsibility need to bear in mind the "anything can happen" factor.
Given all the liability with elevators, I'm surprised it wasn't locked. They really dropped the ball there. We have an elevator in our house that was put there during build by the former owner whose wife had mobility issues and we've had it serviced only once and the Tech told us that they would no longer be able to make service calls of any kind until it was retrofitted with a barrier that allowed no more than X inches between the door and elevator opening because kids can squeeze into the space. Sure enough, about a month later, we got a certified letter from them stating the same. And this is just for a residential elevator, nothing as potentially dangerous as what happened in this story.

The Tech also told me he advises people to always carry their cell phones with them whenever they use the elevator. Good advice, which I admit I don't follow 100% of the time, but this story will hopefully jog my memory.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-13-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events