Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:43 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well then you don't know a whole lot about child sexual abuse survivors...
You are correct. But you could have educated me instead of being snarky about it. :roll eyes:

I was in a mentally abusive relationship though, but as a young adult so I can guess it's similar but multiplied. Stockholm syndrom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Makes you wonder what happened to them as children?
It does. I know not all abused kids grow up to be abusers themselves, so you really have to wonder what kind of household those 3 were raised in that the 3 of them would find that acceptable behavior even if they weren't part of the abuse and were just aware of what the others were doing.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You are correct. But you could have educated me instead of being snarky about it. :roll eyes:

I was in a mentally abusive relationship though, but as a young adult so I can guess it's similar but multiplied. Stockholm syndrom?
Yes, similar to Stockholm syndrome...but worse. I don't really have the time to educate you on the after effects of sexual abuse, but a quick google search on your part could enlighten you. Or if you are really interested, Amazon has a ton of books, from professional to first hand accounts. I do hope you would be willing to learn. The more people learn about the challenges survivors face, the less stigma they will face (or hide from) when coming forward and the easier it will be for them to heal. Which is a very good thing.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,924 times
I remember when I was about 7 years old, I was playing at a neighbor boy's house. His elderly neighbor came over to the fence and was trying to coax me into giving him a kiss. He made me very uncomfortable, but at the time it didn't occur to me how sinister his intentions may have been.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times
It's easy to automatically think of older people as benign and harmless, so this is a good reminder to be vigilant with everyone, regardless of age.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Makes you wonder what happened to them as children?
My thoughts too. I would say there is a good chance they were abused as children. Not saying that is a valid excuse for what they did.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Incest survivor here.

It's fairly simple - some of us let what happened to us color the rest of our lives, and some of us (like myself) don't. It also helps to have a support system that SUPPORTS instead of wringing its hands in anguish and saying such BS like the person is "ruined for life," which they are not.

That is the difference between "victim" and "survivor" - the survivors put that sh*t in the rear-view mirror and don't allow it to affect and control the rest of their life.

I've experienced far more strife from the way a certain adult in my life, who I was first intimate with when I was 30 (aka not a child), treated sexual relations with me (he'll cheat on his gf with other women and doesn't even tell the OW that she is in fact an OW) than I ever did from my childhood experiences.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Unfortunately, 'back in the day' it was quite common for inter-family sexual abuse to be swept under the rug. It was never talked about, let alone reported, because it was more important not to bring 'shame' on the family than it was to fix the problem. Not necessarily blaming the child/family victims in this case, but somebody probably had suspicions and did nothing. Had they done so, these brothers may have had their opportunity to offend severely limited over the years. Don't kid yourself, there may be no smoking gun evidence in this case, but you can bet these 3 guys committed many, many molestations over the years. Those crimes and their victims could have been lessened or avoided had society not kept their heads in the sand back then. So much for the 'good old days'.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:35 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Unfortunately, 'back in the day' it was quite common for inter-family sexual abuse to be swept under the rug. It was never talked about, let alone reported, because it was more important not to bring 'shame' on the family than it was to fix the problem. Not necessarily blaming the child/family victims in this case, but somebody probably had suspicions and did nothing. Had they done so, these brothers may have had their opportunity to offend severely limited over the years. Don't kid yourself, there may be no smoking gun evidence in this case, but you can bet these 3 guys committed many, many molestations over the years. Those crimes and their victims could have been lessened or avoided had society not kept their heads in the sand back then. So much for the 'good old days'.
Yup, same reason people didn't step into husband-wife disputes back in the day, because #1 "it's between them," and #2 she was considered to be his property anyway.

There's a lot of weird stuff you hear about that happened 50-60+ years ago that really spooks me out when I read about it, because of all the folks trying to portray it as such a bucolic time where everyone behaved, everyone was a virgin until marriage, and life was Skittles and beer. It may have been for some, but certainly not all.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Beyond awful. Whenever I read stories like this in the media, that's when I wish there were a real Hell for evil people like this to burn in for an eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events