Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Although I think it was totally wrong for these coaches to force the girls to do splits, I don't think these girls should have been in cheerleading to begin with. Splits is a pretty basic move that cheerleaders should be able to do before they even make the cheer squad. If they can't do it, be honest and tell them to find another sport. I'm way older than these girls are and I can do full splits.

I wouldn't encourage my son to try out for basketball if he was 5'2. And if my daughter wasn't limber, I wouldn't encourage her in cheer or gymnastics. Let's stop lying to our children and pretending they have abilities they don't have.
Cheerleading is NOT a sport. Nor should it be one. This whole obsession with doing high-risk gymnastics without any protection is insane. Football players get protective gear. Cheerleaders get exploitatively short skirts and tight clothing.

And its all about "popularity". So stop lying to your daughter and pretending its anything else. If she has actual gymnastic talent, then gymnastics is what she should be doing.

Years ago my dad went to bat for me to get into the Graphic Arts class (basically photography) because it was reserved for only boys. At that time they offered to put me on the cheerleading team - because *I* actually DID have mad gymnastics skillz as demonstrated in gym class and on the trampoline as well as balance beam etc. Plus they considered it "girl appropriate".

My dad told them he would rather have me on the FOOTBALL team than shaking my tushy for the general enjoyment of dirty old men and stupid teenage boys.

And that's what "cheer" is all about - sexual titillation. No daughter of mine would have so little self esteem that she would allow herself to be so exploited.

And btw - I AM 5' 2", and I was about 4' 10" when I was playing junior high basketball. I was the shortest one on the team - but the best center, because I could jump so high from standing still and easily take control of the ball. You don't have to be 8' tall to play basketball - especially in high school where there is a definite shortage of 8' tall adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Cheerleading is NOT a sport. Nor should it be one. .
Many people do consider it a sport now, and there are lots of competitive cheer teams that travel around the country and compete.

But unfortunately, yes, in high school and college sports, it has become all about "shaking your tushy" around and wearing sexy little outfits. I think that should be done away with. I think cheerleaders should be required to wear pants, in fact. There is no reason for cheerleaders to wear tiny little skirts or shirts that almost show off their privates.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
....... If they can't do it, be honest and tell them to find another sport........
Doing the splits is not a special talent. Anyone can do the splits, but it takes time to gradually stretch out the muscles and the tendons. That kind of force that the coach was using can tear muscles and rip tendons. That's the sort of thing the Spanish Inquisition used to get innocent women to confess to witch craft. It is torture.

Splits have to be worked up to.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:17 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
True story: my grandmother did the splits and broke her leg.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Doing the splits is not a special talent. Anyone can do the splits, but it takes time to gradually stretch out the muscles and the tendons. That kind of force that the coach was using can tear muscles and rip tendons. That's the sort of thing the Spanish Inquisition used to get innocent women to confess to witch craft. It is torture.

Splits have to be worked up to.
I was not defending coaches forcing girls into splits. Where in my post did you see that? Please copy and paste where I stated that I think it's okay to use force to put people into splits.

Personally, I never had to "work up to" splits. I could just do them. And yes, splits are not a special talent, but apparently not everyone can do them. And if they can't, they don't need to be on a cheerleading team or in gymnastics. They should find another activity.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM

It's not boastful to talk about an ability to do splits, any more than someone who can write with their left hand is boasting about an ability.

But yeah, I'm sticking to my opinion: if your kid can't do splits, your kid shouldn't be in cheerleading.

Sorry folks.

Last edited by toosie; 08-27-2017 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Edited out orphaned response to deleted post

Old 08-27-2017, 02:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
The coach got fired. It turns out he had also been fired by another district for similar behavior. He still owns his own private coaching business though so this may go on if people continue to send their kids his way.

What's even more appalling to me is that the school knew about the incident in June but did nothing until it came out in the media after someone sent the videos to one of the local news stations. Suddenly, they are so concerned.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Very disturbing video to say the least.

And for those inclined to say that this is 'normal' for cheerleading (or that you were forced to do it in your day), may I kindly remind them that the USA Cheer National Safety Council does not condone what this coach did or this sort of training method.

Denver police investigate video of school cheer practice - CNN

Ugggg!! No way should this methodology be used with cheerleading on young girls. This isn't the Russian gymnastics team. I've seen things like this in Tae Kwon Do as well. An art I never attempted to embrace. This sort of thing is why there are no older gymnasts. The training tears them to pieces. And it's wrong.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
It's not boastful to talk about an ability to do splits, any more than someone who can write with their left hand is boasting about an ability.

But yeah, I'm sticking to my opinion: if your kid can't do splits, your kid shouldn't be in cheerleading.

Sorry folks.
She can learn, like most other people, but should not be forced into it because she can get hurt. It does take time, like it does with many other forms of stretching or workouts or skill moves in sports (like the ability to bunt in softball or baseball).

It's the summer, she was in practice for high school cheer. She probably won't be out there doing any moves until football season starts and games are underway. She has time.

Anyway, not all high school cheering teams are super competitive and require all types of moves, or for you to be exceptional at all types of moves. Some schools don't even cut athletes, so the ones who aren't that good simply don't see a lot of playing time, or maybe are placed in a relatively hidden spot in the formation on the cheer squad.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Many people do consider it a sport now, and there are lots of competitive cheer teams that travel around the country and compete.

But unfortunately, yes, in high school and college sports, it has become all about "shaking your tushy" around and wearing sexy little outfits. I think that should be done away with. I think cheerleaders should be required to wear pants, in fact. There is no reason for cheerleaders to wear tiny little skirts or shirts that almost show off their privates.
Not just "people" consider cheer a sport but many state athletic commissions also, at the same level as other high school sports. It's also recognized as a sport for Title IX purposes and became a provisional Olympic sport this past December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events