Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:49 PM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

Before Irma hit, a stranger gave the last generator to a crying woman for her ailing father

Normally I am scared to post on CU since I have have gotten feedback when my posts were too "political." This one concerns utter kindness and thus belongs here (I think). A man in a Loews store in Florida, Ramon, snapped up what turned out to be the last generator. The woman in line behind him, trying to buy one to keep her ailing father's pacemaker going. She broke down in tears.

Ramon gave her his generator. Then, fortunately, Ramon got a call from the store that a new shipment had arrived. He got his for free.

One in a while pure decency reigns.

https://youtu.be/U8SAh9eta6g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,035 times
That was a great story.

However, this is what makes me not watch the news and dislike them:

Quote:
Brekke’s moment happened to be captured by a news crew that had staked out the Lowe’s to capture moments of chaos and desperation as Irma loomed.
These news stations are trying to sell hysteria by trying to capture people during moments of chaos and desperation. They should be ashamed of themselves. They'll say and do anything for ratings.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM

10,781 posts, read 5,699,785 times
Pacemakers are battery powered and aren't plugged into an external power source. Something is wrong with this story, or else someone got scammed.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:07 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Pacemakers are battery powered and aren't plugged into an external power source. Something is wrong with this story, or else someone got scammed.
It looks like the Generator is to power the Oxygen Generation system for him.

The Korean War vet has congestive heart failure, and a pacemaker helps keep him alive. To take the strain off the damaged organ, every night Brekke turns on a machine that pumps oxygen to him.

If Irma knocks out power to her neighborhood near Orlando’s airport, it could mean difficult days for her father — or worse.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:04 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,127,453 times
It's a sweet human interest story but she probably should have taken her father to one of the special needs shelters.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:36 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It's a sweet human interest story but she probably should have taken her father to one of the special needs shelters.
I'm not sure those are so great for people in truly fragile condition.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,438,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
That was a great story.

However, this is what makes me not watch the news and dislike them:

These news stations are trying to sell hysteria by trying to capture people during moments of chaos and desperation. They should be ashamed of themselves. They'll say and do anything for ratings.

They are in existence to capture the news and this is news. Would you prefer they only cover bake sales and cute pet tricks?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,268,855 times
Definitely was a heart-warming story, but I couldn't help wondering why she had not planned in advance for something like this. I agree that moving Dad would not have been optimal, but shouldn't a generator have been in place long before last-minute panic buying set in? Regardless, I'm very glad they both got a generator. And hope they both know how to use it!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,301,029 times
She probably had the choice to take him to a hotel if power went out at home during normal times so it would not have been life threatening. Don't the portable oxygens have battery packs? They were probably ok for a limited amount of time without power.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Agreed. Maybe they need house current to charge the battery? Like a cell phone? A scam is possible though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events