Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:00 AM

29,554 posts, read 22,904,170 times

Advertisements

Yet another unfortunate story of a young person killing themselves after bullying.

Seems to be happening more these days.

Bullying of Hampton, SC, girl, 11, led to her suicide, family says | The State

Quote:
Authorities are investigating the death of an 11-year-old girl, who her family says was the constant victim of bullying.

Toni Rivers, of Hampton, died Oct. 27, after being rushed to the hospital with a gunshot wound, WTOC reported. The sixth grader had shot herself after she told her friends that she “just couldn’t do this anymore, and was going to home and she was killing herself,” the girl’s aunt, Maria Peterson, told WTOC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 15 days ago)

36,037 posts, read 18,321,149 times
So reading the entirety of the story, it appears that it was one child who called her fat and said she looked like a man (neither of which is true) and so she told "her friends" that she was going to go home and kill herself.

She has friends, which is interesting. In my world, most chronically bullied kids have no friends at all and that's why they are so very miserable - kids with a few friends usually get through being picked on.

We are so quick to blame bullying for suicides, when in fact, depression is most likely the cause. One bully - who bullies a lot of other kids- isn't a cause for suicide - all the others are still alive who are insulted by this girl.

Am I misreading?

So sad that she's gone way too soon.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 15 days ago)

Here's a more thorough article with more details. It does sound like it was one girl doing the bullying, and bullying others.

Suicide is such a loss - as a culture, we need to do something to protect our kids from a momentary flash of anger/sadness that causes them to take the huge leap of ending their lives.

Hampton Co. family demands end to bullying after 11-year-old daughter commits suicide | WSAV-TV

Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM

20,112 posts, read 9,637,408 times
Where are the suggestions in this thread that parents should teach their kids not to bully? But, no, it seems that the "blame the victim and their parents" mentality is still thriving.

Well, I DO blame the bullies -- BIG time!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but I DO blame the bullies -- BIG time!

Where are the suggestions in this thread that parents should teach their kids not to bully? But, no, it seems that the "blame the victim and their parents" mentality is still thriving.
In this case, whocares, it's A bully. One "little girl" as she's called in the story.

Bullying should be dealt with. But it should not be considered the "cause" of every child's death who kills themselves. What causes a child to kill themselves is lack of the will to live which is SO STRONG in most kids.

Until we look at this clearly - and search with an open mind for the cause of childhood suicide - we won't find answers.

Most people who are unhappy search for a reason "why" they are unhappy, but the fact is, the state of happiness is caused by brain chemicals. We usually like to think that a state of happiness is caused by external factors.

So, we say things like "I'm unhappy because this is a horrible town to live in". "I'm unhappy because I have a really crappy job". "I'm unhappy because this girl at school insults me often".

When in reality, the two can be completely separate. I'm unhappy and I live in a horrible town. I'm unhappy and I have a crappy job.

"I'm unhappy and this awful girl who makes fun of a lot of people keeps making fun of me, too". That's probably the most accurate way to describe her situation.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM

75 posts, read 50,537 times
I was bullied in school and it taught me some hard lessons, such as you are on your own. People would watch as I was attacked, and the onlooking cretins were mortified with fear.
Here is what it did to me: I stopped being afraid and I figured that it was better to die fighting. To this day, I will die fighting, than to submit to any coercion.
If her folks had taught her to think that way, she would still be alive. She should have used a knife on her attackers, in my view, she had the justification to do it.
Any prosecution of her, could have been beaten in court. Does that sound hard, or crazy? If she were my daughter she would still be alive.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 PM

20,112 posts, read 9,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In this case, whocares, it's A bully. One "little girl" as she's called in the story.

Bullying should be dealt with. But it should not be considered the "cause" of every child's death who kills themselves. What causes a child to kill themselves is lack of the will to live which is SO STRONG in most kids.

Until we look at this clearly - and search with an open mind for the cause of childhood suicide - we won't find answers.

Most people who are unhappy search for a reason "why" they are unhappy, but the fact is, the state of happiness is caused by brain chemicals. We usually like to think that a state of happiness is caused by external factors.

So, we say things like "I'm unhappy because this is a horrible town to live in". "I'm unhappy because I have a really crappy job". "I'm unhappy because this girl at school insults me often".

When in reality, the two can be completely separate. I'm unhappy and I live in a horrible town. I'm unhappy and I have a crappy job.

"I'm unhappy and this awful girl who makes fun of a lot of people keeps making fun of me, too". That's probably the most accurate way to describe her situation.
What you said is true, but I STILL blame the bullies, singular or plural. Bullying is simply wrong, imo, PERIOD. Making excuses for it, or making light of it, when it even might have been a contributing causes for any reason is wrong, too, imo.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM

37,194 posts, read 42,397,544 times
Bullying won't end no matter who calls for it. Schools can certainly minimize it though but if suicide is the response to someone being a jerk to you there are deeper issues at play.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:16 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,790,745 times
My husband works for a very large global company and last week 2 of his co-workers had kids who killed themselves! Two totally unrelated incidents and the 2 kids did not know each other. One was a 14 yr old boy and the other a 16 yr old girl. Both left notes that it was due to bullying.

It’s very sad that these kids felt like there was no one they could turn to. I have two younger daughters and constantly let them know that if they are bullied they can come to us. Parents need to reinforce this to their children!

Old 11-03-2017, 03:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,459,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Bullying won't end no matter who calls for it. Schools can certainly minimize it though but if suicide is the response to someone being a jerk to you there are deeper issues at play.
There are deeper issues at play regarding the bullies. Not the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events