Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times

Advertisements

Another unfortunate incident where a child with a known food allergy was fed something that killed them.

Why wasn't this school prepared for such things in the first place (epipen, calling 9-1-1, etc.).

Some of the comments are interesting, saying that the school might have not known cheese was dairy?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-boys-death/

Quote:
New York City officials have closed a preschool in Harlem where a young boy with a severe food allergy died after being given a grilled-cheese sandwich.

Investigators were at the preschool on Thursday to review the sequence of events. Elijah Silvera's family said staff knew the 3-year-old was severely allergic to dairy products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,565,702 times
So sad. The school is 100% at fault. If my kid were that allergic I'd probably have him wear a shirt that said "DO NOT FEED ME CHEESE" in huge bold bright font. I don't trust anyone to read a file unfortunately.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,569,323 times
I would never have trusted the school to feed my child with those types of allergies. I would of packed his lunch and told them, at no point can my child accept any type of food other than what I provide him with.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I would never have trusted the school to feed my child with those types of allergies. I would of packed his lunch and told them, at no point can my child accept any type of food other than what I provide him with.
And then some other kid would have offered the child some of his chocolate milk.

If you want to make sure your child doesn't die from a food allergy, don't leave him in the care of strangers. Sorry. That's just the truth.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:27 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,160,230 times
My neighbors daughter when she was little used to play at our house-- her mom made it clear she could not ever even taste or smell peanut butter or she would go into anaphylactic shock. She had an epi pen.

There's no guarantees in life sadly though even if a parent packs the kids lunch etc. a teenage girl at the church I used to go to went on a camping trip with other teens and ate some rice krispy treats that she didn't know had peanut butter mixed in. She would've probably made it except since she was a typical teen she didn't want to be "uncool " and be the kid who has to carry an epi pen and be different... really sad tragic loss she as expected went into shock and died within minutes, if only she had taken her pen. It's easier to police little kids but a parent who is diligent still has no way to prevent life from happening in a bad way.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
I'll be interested in the autopsy they're planning.

Dairy is in so much of what we eat - I can't imagine a 3 year old child being in a preschool situation at the age of 3 where they are responsible for feeding him their cafeteria food -surviving to school age.

Sad.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My neighbors daughter when she was little used to play at our house-- her mom made it clear she could not ever even taste or smell peanut butter or she would go into anaphylactic shock. She had an epi pen.

There's no guarantees in life sadly though even if a parent packs the kids lunch etc. a teenage girl at the church I used to go to went on a camping trip with other teens and ate some rice krispy treats that she didn't know had peanut butter mixed in. She would've probably made it except since she was a typical teen she didn't want to be "uncool " and be the kid who has to carry an epi pen and be different... really sad tragic loss she as expected went into shock and died within minutes, if only she had taken her pen. It's easier to police little kids but a parent who is diligent still has no way to prevent life from happening in a bad way.
There was a girl who was graduating from University of Texas who died during the graduation ceremony a few years ago. She'd had carrot cake at a celebration lunch just before the ceremony and she was allergic to nuts - which she was told weren't in the cake.

She was apparently too embarrassed to get up out of her chair and make a scene when she started to go into shock.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,160,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And then some other kid would have offered the child some of his chocolate milk.

If you want to make sure your child doesn't die from a food allergy, don't leave him in the care of strangers. Sorry. That's just the truth.
That might work til they're about 5--- then would you plan to keep them in a bubble til they're 21 years old? A teenage girl at my church died on a camping trip- she was a senior in high school- she apparently didn't end up taking her epi pen on the trip, I doubt at that age her mother knew- she didn't want to feel different from the other kids , typical teen, so she didn't want to bring her medicine and just planned to avoid peanut butter. During the trip bough rice krispy treats were served, unbeknownst to her they had some peanut butter swirled in and she died bc she was up in the mountains, without her epi pen. I feel so bad for her, and also the poor counselor who was only in his twenties who tried to save her

Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

He apparently had a host of severe allergies, including peanuts and berries, and also had asthma.

Boy with Dairy Allergy Dies After School Employee Allegedly Feeds Him Grilled Cheese

Old 11-10-2017, 11:49 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,080,602 times
These kids should be wearing a 'Medic" bracelet, or something that identifies that they have an allergy , like many adults do when they have life threatening medical issues.
My mother wore one of those bracelets letting folks know she was diabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events