Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Did you even look at your link? It proves it is EXTREMELY uncommon, even world wide.
Yes I did look at the link. Thats where I got my information from. It happens on average about once per year in the US. It was stated that it hasn't happened in decades, which is incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,898,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes I did look at the link. Thats where I got my information from. It happens on average about once per year in the US. It was stated that it hasn't happened in decades, which is incorrect.
1 per year...do you know how big the US is? Did you read the case studies? I read a bunch of them. They were very interesting. But a mongoose, bats, unknowns, organ transplants, foreign travel...not a lot of cases of pet dogs in the air port.

THe case studies did teach me something. Always tell the ER doc that you have been bitten by an animal or touched a wild animal right away. Seems like some lives could have been saved if that info was brought up sooner.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:02 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
It is not uncommon. The last case of it happening was May 15, 2017. There were several cases in 2015.

CDC - Rabies Surveillance in the U.S._ Human Rabies - Rabies
The case in May in VA was due to a dog bite acquired in India, for which the victim did not seek care until many weeks afterward.

Updated: Officials Investigate Rare Human Case of Rabies in Va. - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

None of the dog related cases in the CDC list were related to American pets, though pets do get rabies.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think the airline may be liable if the dog was cleared to be on the flight and on Jetblue's/Airport property. Not much different from a person getting bitten in a grocery-store by someone's
emotional-support Dog.
Was this dog a Emotional support or service dog?? if so then the owner is in trouble...

Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Was this dog a Emotional support or service dog?? if so then the owner is in trouble...
Since no one (to date) has been able to identify the owner, I doubt the owner will face any consequences at all.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,898,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Those aren't worldwide stats, those are just stats for the US. Unfortunately rabies kills at least 55,000 people every year, mostly in impoverished countries:

WHO | Rabies

Rabies is killing more than 55,000 a year | The Independent

But the chance of contracting rabies from a dog bite here in the US is minuscule, thanks to mandatory rabies vaccination of pets. It's not zero, though.
I will concede its a much bigger issue in 3rd world countries, and it isn't easily diagnosed so it could be even worse then reported. 55k deaths a year is still not a huge cause of death world wide. Not that it shouldn't be taken seriously. But its not as terrifying of a prospect as statements like "it happens all the time" make it out to be.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,998,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Looks like someone wants easy money.
i want money for every time she says "LIKE"

Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,998,578 times
This is weird.

Why did this dog just bite??? Did she tease him?? What dog just bites someone for no reason in a waiting line?? This sounds very odd.

And what dog - emotional support dog?? If so, they need a health certificate = they have rabies vaccines.

These links to the articles are very unclear.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
Quote:
Generally from raccoons or bats. Rabies cases in humans are very rare in the U.S. in general. Rabies contracted from a domesticated pet is almost unheard of in the U.S.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
JetBlue passenger bit by dog at Orlando airport says airline isn't helping identify the owner | Fox News

Brittany Langlois told Fox 25 Boston that she was bit by a fellow passenger’s dog while waiting to check in for her flight. However, she says she’s having no luck tracking down the animal’s owner after JetBlue employees scuttled the other passenger from the line — leaving Langlois uncertain of whether or not to seek treatment for rabies.

IMO, this is a bad strategy if she is seriously concerned about a rabies infection.

Langlois claims the rabies shots are "very painful" -- they're not. I've had them. The whole treatment is expensive, though, if you don't have medical insurance to cover it. I think mine came in at just over $2,200.

Secondly, her time to get them -- if it's contingent on the dog testing positive for rabies -- has already run out, since standard procedure is to isolate the animal for 10 days to monitor it for signs of disease.

And is Jet Blue really liable for what some passenger's animal did?
So the dog bit the passenger and Jet Blue rushed into the flight to avoid any issues? Yeah, Jetblue screwed up on that one. This lady is right in suing Jetblue and the passenger. Jetblue should have called security and let them handled the issue not try to sneak the passenger out of the airport. Since the dog bit someone there is a good chance it can bite another customer in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events