Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,778,755 times

Advertisements

A Milwaukee police officer certainly didn’t show any favoritism when he issued a ticket for parking in a handicapped parking spot to himself.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2335347/c...dicapped-spot/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A Milwaukee police officer certainly didn’t show any favoritism when he issued a ticket for parking in a handicapped parking spot to himself.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2335347/c...dicapped-spot/
Unimpressed. First he only issued the ticket to himself, because many people saw it and complained. Second, he still didn't accept any personal responsibility for it. He blamed another officer for failing to move it. Which is irrelevant, since he shouldn't have parked there in the first place.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Unimpressed. First he only issued the ticket to himself, because many people saw it and complained. Second, he still didn't accept any personal responsibility for it. He blamed another officer for failing to move it. Which is irrelevant, since he shouldn't have parked there in the first place.
Agreed.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,564,077 times
Quote:

I could not have said it better myself

Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,652,352 times
maybe someone was yelling "citizens arrest! citizens arrest!"

Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
i think most of the problem is with the design of the handicapps spots. I have seen stores that required four handicap spots but they only have six spot total. Its a subject you cant say anything against because somebody will complain that their 91 year old grand ma is handicap.

I could never figure out why home depot got 28 handicap spots, never knew they was that many handicap roofing their house, that was a joke, dont get your panties in a wad

Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i think most of the problem is with the design of the handicapps spots. I have seen stores that required four handicap spots but they only have six spot total. Its a subject you cant say anything against because somebody will complain that their 91 year old grand ma is handicap.

I could never figure out why home depot got 28 handicap spots, never knew they was that many handicap roofing their house, that was a joke, dont get your panties in a wad
The amount of spots is set to be a concise minimum based on all paved area of each property. Where they get placed is not always consistent. It seems to be done more for the ease of the the person painting them than in the actual locations that would've made sense for them to be.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The amount of spots is set to be a concise minimum based on all paved area of each property. Where they get placed is not always consistent. It seems to be done more for the ease of the the person painting them than in the actual locations that would've made sense for them to be.
The biggest joke I have seen are some small stores that used to have two parking spaces in front of them. But to comply with ADA they now have one van-accessible space. Not only was their parking reduced by 50% to comply, but their non-handicapped parking was reduced by 100%. And a small store like that, might not have even one customer who needs handicapped parking. So they lose their entire parking.

Handicapped parking is a great concept, but it has a lot of problems. I think it should be based more on demand, then on a certain percentage of spaces. If handicapped spaces are not all being utilized, the lot owner should be able to convert some to non-handicapped spaces. If all the spaces regularly fill up, more should be added. Medical facilities even with increased requirements, never have even close to enough handicapped spaces. Other places handicapped parking just goes completely unused.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The biggest joke I have seen are some small stores that used to have two parking spaces in front of them. But to comply with ADA they now have one van-accessible space. Not only was their parking reduced by 50% to comply, but their non-handicapped parking was reduced by 100%. And a small store like that, might not have even one customer who needs handicapped parking. So they lose their entire parking.

Handicapped parking is a great concept, but it has a lot of problems. I think it should be based more on demand, then on a certain percentage of spaces. If handicapped spaces are not all being utilized, the lot owner should be able to convert some to non-handicapped spaces. If all the spaces regularly fill up, more should be added. Medical facilities even with increased requirements, never have even close to enough handicapped spaces. Other places handicapped parking just goes completely unused.
In the case of medical facilities, I have personally seen that they are being used by people who have no placards/plates. They have people sitting in the drivers seat so they can be close to the entrance. Driving through the same parking lot, I'll see cars with placards/plates parked in normal spots, taking up two spots or even parking in 'No Parking' zones. IMHO people complain too much about handicap spots just because they are closer to the locations even though there is a load of spots further away. The law for their existence is for consistency of the amount of spots available. Do you know how many years a property owner would have to sit in court to fight the law? It's either go with the flow or not open for business or deal with multiple fines for not having the spots.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
In the case of medical facilities, I have personally seen that they are being used by people who have no placards/plates. They have people sitting in the drivers seat so they can be close to the entrance. Driving through the same parking lot, I'll see cars with placards/plates parked in normal spots, taking up two spots or even parking in 'No Parking' zones. IMHO people complain too much about handicap spots just because they are closer to the locations even though there is a load of spots further away. The law for their existence is for consistency of the amount of spots available. Do you know how many years a property owner would have to sit in court to fight the law? It's either go with the flow or not open for business or deal with multiple fines for not having the spots.
That's the problem. You could be operating say a health club, where 100% of your clients are in good health. But you have to have five or ten choise parking spaces just sitting empty all the time. You could be losing business because you don't have enough non-handicapped spaces. Meanwhile a hospital that is only required to have 10% handicapped spaces, should probably have 50%. The demand is not the same everywhere. The law should be flexible, to meet the demand for spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events