Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 PM

857 posts, read 958,698 times

Advertisements

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Is it fair to ask non-bridge users to take part in the vote on rate increase, so the new revenue can be used to do road projects elsewhere for non-bridge users?

2. Is it lawful to still collect bridge or highway toll, when all construction bonds have been paid for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post

1. Is it fair to ask non-bridge users to take part in the vote on rate increase, so the new revenue can be used to do road projects elsewhere for non-bridge users?

2. Is it lawful to still collect bridge or highway toll, when all construction bonds have been paid for?

Are you planning to sue? This has been going on for close to 50 years. The Golden Gate Bridge was paid for about that far back, and the employees grew concerned about their job future, so they invented Golden Gate Transit, a transit company connecting Marin County with SF. Were bridge commuters consulted? No. It was done hush-hush. But nobody's complained about the results, AFAIK, until the recent rate hike proposal.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Last time I was in NYC crossing the Verrazano Bridge ran me $17. Makes $9 sound like a bargain.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:10 PM

17,570 posts, read 15,237,377 times
I-66 in Virginia/DC I think I read that there's a $35 toll on it during rush hours. Someone from the area can perhaps clarify that.. But that 'toll' isn't really a 'toll'.. It's them incentivizing you to stay off the damn road.

As I recall, it's only for single occupant vehicles, so, they're trying to push people to mass transit or carpooling. And traffic does suck in DC.

Not giving an opinion on right or wrong, just what I think they're attempting to do.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:36 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Seems to me that everybody benefits from roads and bridges whether they personally drive on them or not.

Our taxes should be enough to cover the cost and maintenance of any bridge built. If not, dump the current government officials and start over with regular people who know how to budget.

Nobody should be penalized for driving alone across a bridge. It's absolutely ludicrous to support that notion. Our leaders come up with such foolish excuses for fattening their wallets. Why do we accept it?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
It's why they call CA The Golden State. They want all your gold.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post

1. How else are you going to do it? Democracy isn’t that specific. I still get a say in stuff I will never use and still pay taxes for programs that aren’t applicable to me.

2. This link https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/23/129 seems to suggest yes. California doesn’t want you to drive.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Last time I was in NYC crossing the Verrazano Bridge ran me $17. Makes $9 sound like a bargain.
lol Yup. All NYC bridges and tunnels, including ones connecting to NJ, cost more than $9. I’d take $9 any day over what we pay. They are some opportunities for discounts, like for EZpass users who cross the bridges and tunnels a certain number of times each month, but still.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Basically OP, they have you by your nether region and so they're going to squeeze money out of you to pay for whatever else they want to fund that they can't charge a fair market price for.

There is a WORLD of difference between charging people property taxes to pay for schools even if they don't have kids, roads even if they don't own cars, or whatever AND squeezing those you can get away with to pay for those you cannot squeeze.

CA keeps pushing more and more of the tax burden onto those that are not incurring the huge budgetary increases.

I'm not even going to say that's right or wrong because that's up to the city, county, state voters there...not my business.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,737,135 times
It’s over $40 to cross the Confederation Bridge connecting Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events